August 22, 2006 <br />
<br />
2,500 IRR Marines may face involuntary activation <br />
<br />
By John Hoellwarth <br />
Staff writer <br />
<br />
<br />
Starting in October, as many as 2,500 Marines in the Individual Ready Reserve will begin...

Osotogary
08-22-06, 02:27 PM
I know it is, "Once a Marine , Always a Marine" but to me as a parent who has had a son already do three trips to the "sandbox" and who is starting to forge a life for himself this information, for want of a better word, really suxx. Like one of my sons said, "How many times can you cheat death?" Let someone else do the fighting for a while. (Say, decision makers who conduct the affairs of warfare from an airconditioned building both at home or abroad)
Am I to be that naive that the thought of involuntary action would never go into effect? Heck, no. I just think that alot of the untaped human resources should be "encouraged" to do their share. Does that mean draft? Yes, it does. If you want to live in these United States you need to know that you will be called into service if it is deemed necessary- no exceptions.
I'll gladly take the place of a three tour veteran. (I'll probably be scared sh*tless). Let the veterans rest a spell and form or reacquaint themselves with their families. While I'm at it, why don't we just send all the members of the House of Representatives, the Senate, the White House over to Iraq to do six months on the front lines?
Ruffled feathers? Yep, you're darn tootin. Something about getting blood out a turnip. We are running on lean. Sorry for the vent but these were the first thoughts that came to my mind. Gut feeling, as it were. Nothing more or nothing less.
I'd also like see the chickensheet cleric types, that encourage youngsters to wear body bombs, to come out in the open and duke it out. I have no meter for how low I feel about those individuals. They send people out to war as well. Let them come out to the front lines, in plane view, and fight themselves.

Phantom Winger
08-22-06, 05:41 PM
I know it is, "Once a Marine , Always a Marine" but to me as a parent who has had a son already do three trips to the "sandbox" and who is starting to forge a life for himself this information, for want of a better word, really suxx.....

In my opinion a drafted military today would be a complete waste of time and borderline failure. Why? Every parent wants their kids to have a better life. All parents want to give their children things they themselves never had. Somehow, responsibility didn’t always make the cut on that list. It’s far simpler to blame society for their sins and keep their precious self-esteem no matter how warped that may be. They’re taught that society owes them something. Hell, every recruit training facility would require and ACLU rep not to mention constant media attention to explore and point out any perceived flaw in the training and protect their “rights”.

<O:p</O:p
Look at the partisan politics today. If a person’s candidate doesn’t win then they feel free to spout off they have no President. Somewhere, we’ve become either Liberals or Conservatives; Democrats, Republicans or Independents ... and we’ve forgotten that first and foremost we’re Americans.

You, sir, appear to be above the norm. Your son has proudly served and that distinction reflects highly on you. I thank you for instilling in your son a strong character and sense of devotion.

As far as the recall, 2,500 Marines out of 59,000 is less than 5%. I would gather that the announcement alone would rally some Marines to volunteer to go active duty. Your son’s three tours would probably make it less likely he would be high on the list. In any event my prayers are with him.

Semper Fi

greensideout
08-22-06, 07:31 PM
I belive that the Draft is long overdue. Three rotations to the sandbox is very telling as to where we are at in manpower for what should be called, the new great war. The war is not going to go away. We need the draft and we need it now! It will provide the millitary manpower that we need and hopefully would instill some pride into who would otherwise be, the freeloading society.
As has been said, all that enjoy the safety and freedoms of America should participate in the security of them.

hrscowboy
08-22-06, 07:43 PM
i dont give a damn what parents want for there children, where fightin a war here and every single body young man or woman should do there fair share protecting this country, when the draft was in effect at least we didnt have to worry about where the next abled body was going to come from..I say bring the draft back and let these youngins learn what the freedoms they have now cost the veterans of the past...

CHOPPER7199
08-22-06, 10:55 PM
Well, They Did It Yrs Back, To The Poky Or Join Up. Sounds Good To Me For Alot Of Them. Had A Few, And They Proved Out Ok. Maybe Certain Ones In Now Could Get A Choice Depending On Their Crime.

Gator5
08-23-06, 12:05 AM
My father is a former marine, and instilled duty in both my brother and I. I went into the Corps, and my brother joined the Army. Why doesn't the Corps up their age limit like the army did? Im 36 now, and can't exactly keep up with the kids anymore, but there is nothing wrong with either my eyesight, nor my trigger finger. I'd re-up just to keep a 20 year old kid from havin to go to the sandbox for the 3rd or 4th time, and there have to be others around my age with the same attitude. Talk about an untapped labor pool.

malavier
08-23-06, 12:21 AM
So, by the sounds of this it could effect prior service Marines that have past their 4 years of IRR status. Is this correct? I am tempted to re-enlist. I really miss the Marine Family, but now...

Osotogary
08-23-06, 12:39 AM
Your son’s three tours would probably make it less likely he would be high on the list. In any event my prayers are with him.

Thanks for the prayers, Phantom Winger. I don't know if having completed three tours would put one on the "less likely to be called up" list especially if the MOS was "Grunt".

iamcloudlander
08-23-06, 01:27 AM
I realize I got out a long time ago but we had an old saying about an involuntary recall to active duty--they will have to call old ladies and dead dogs before they call up a man (woman) that has completed his contractural obligation. Does this recall mean that all the old ladies and dead dogs have been called up already????LOL

thedrifter
08-23-06, 02:39 AM
Marine Reservists Facing Combat Duty <br />
With Volunteers Lagging, as Many as 2,500 to Be Called Up for Afghanistan, Iraq <br />
<br />
<br />
By Josh White <br />
Washington Post Staff Writer <br />
Wednesday, August 23, 2006; A10...

Phantom Winger
08-23-06, 07:46 AM
Why doesn't the Corps up their age limit like the army did? Im 36 now, and can't exactly keep up with the kids anymore, but there is nothing wrong with either my eyesight, nor my trigger finger. I'd re-up just to keep a 20 year old kid from havin to go to the sandbox for the 3rd or 4th time, and there have to be others around my age with the same attitude. Talk about an untapped labor pool.

So, the question is, why don't you re-up? :marine: I believe the age rule is your current age minus your service time must be equal to or less than 36? The rule of thumb is you have to be capable of 20 yrs of service by age 55? It sounds like you're still elligible, Gator5!

You can find a prior service recruiter here:
https://web.mcrc.usmc.mil/G3/PSR/Welcome%20PSR.htm

Hell, I'm 42.... and my physical is in 2 weeks. :cool:

OLE SARG
08-23-06, 08:39 AM
I think this is telling us something. If we are going to fight this "War on Terror" LET'S FIGHT TO WIN!!!!!!! Not this ****ing patty-cake bull****. If we had used our full capability, part of the Middle-east would be a sheet of glass.

SEMPER FI,

namvet6870
08-23-06, 09:01 AM
Goldwater said it best back in 64, we should blacktop Viet-nam from the Delta to Hanoi. Everyone was scared of him back then. But it still holds true today, Blacktop Iraq and Afghanistan. Get this thing over with and our boys and girls home.

Old Marine
08-23-06, 09:32 AM
Bring back the draft and watch the chickensh'ts invade the Canadian border.

I think Bush should carry the guidon for the troops he recalls since he stepped on his crank many times with his Iraq decisions.

Mike McIntyre
08-23-06, 10:00 AM
Question:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
My son has permanent hardware (rod in his femur). His prognosis for a waiver is very good but not certain. His civilian doctor has cleared him for “Military Duty”. Does this need for trained Marines increase his chance for a waiver?

Bige1371
08-23-06, 10:10 AM
I guess it's time to dust off the old "go fasters" and start getting my 3 mile run time down. Still meet the height and weight standards, pull ups, and crunches and have about 16 months left in the IRR. They had an IRR muster in NY a few months ago and we where informed of this then. I haven't been to Iraq yet so I would guess I'm at the top of that list. I will gladly go to take the place of my brother Marines who have done 2 or 3 tours already.
Semper Fi, Bige1371

outlaw3179
08-23-06, 10:34 AM
Hey Bige make sure if your going to do it , do it before you hit your 8 years. After that youll have hit your 8 year tenure for your rank . Good Luck Marine!!!!!!!!!

Impetus
08-23-06, 11:11 AM
I'm a few months from my IRR obligation and I'm a fat and happy civilian now lol. This should be interesting if I'm called up!

BenofPac
11-19-07, 08:32 PM
I was going to college in 2002, a few weeks before graduation, and was recalled back to active duty.

They called it a Presidental recall at the time for IRR, and I seriously thought about NOT going to Cherry Point to report in, but all that training got the better of me.

I eventually left the service and was able to complete my last semester, but it's not one of those experience I want to repeat.

From the people that did show up who were recalled, I don't know how we managed to get back into shape and served out our time. I guess that lifestyle never goes away, it's buried far back in my head somewhere, like a bad dream.