PDA

View Full Version : Friends, family honor Marine killed in Iraq

thedrifter
08-22-06, 06:30 AM
Friends, family honor Marine killed in Iraq
Alison Bath (ABATH@RGJ.COM)
RENO GAZETTE-JOURNAL
August 22, 2006

Family, friends and fellow Marines remembered Lance Cpl. Jeremy Z. Long on Monday for the way he lived, not the way he died.

They remembered a vibrant young man who loved football and wrestling, wanted to meet actress Jessica Alba and professional wrestler-turned-actor "The Rock" and who indulged his sweet tooth with his favorite candy -- gummy bears.

Most of all, they remembered Long's sense of humor and ability to make people laugh -- a trait that cheered his comrades in Iraq. Long could make anything, even a common household chore such as taking out the garbage, funny, said the Rev. Bill Chrystal, a retired Army chaplain.

"(In a war zone) people who make you laugh are gold," said Chrystal, who officiated at Long's funeral service. "Jeremy was gold."

Long, 18, was killed Aug. 10 when a nearby improvised explosive device detonated while he was on foot patrol in the village of Zella in the Al Anbar province.

He was buried with military honors Monday at Mountain View Cemetery and awarded the Purple Heart posthumously.

Long is the 37th Nevadan to die in the War in Iraq. Since the war began in March 2003, about 2,600 U.S. military personnel have been killed.

Frank Sandomenico, Long's former football coach, recalled the 2005 Spanish Springs High graduate as proud and passionate in everything he did whether it was football, lifting weights or serving his country.

Sandomenico fondly remembered when Long insisted that "Angry American" by country singer Toby Keith play in the school's weight room during a workout, which the coach didn't fully understand until the song was finished.

As it turned out, Long was assigned to Keith's security detail during the singer's recent visit in Iraq to entertain troops.

"Every time I hear that song, I think of that day in the weight room," said Sandomenico stood behind Long's flag-draped coffin as he spoke to the 200 mourners. "He was prepared to defend it to the death."

That passion to serve his country and help stamp out terrorism was remembered by Long's cousin, Tonja Van Voorst, who tearfully told mourners of the stress family members endure when a loved one is in a combat zone. She said her husband, Travis, also a Marine, was in Iraq last year.

"(Jeremy) gave the ultimate sacrifice for our country. My husband is very proud of him. Semper Fi," Van Voorst said, quoting the Marine motto that is Latin for "Always Faithful."

Carmelo Negron, the father of Long's girlfriend, Melissa, said he was proud when a then-17-year-old Long told him of plans to join the Marines. Long was a young man with ideals and ambition "" characteristics that were impressive, Negron said.

"I know he was going to be a great, great soldier," said Negron, who served in operations Desert Storm and Desert Shield. "I respected him from the beginning."

With his voice breaking, Negron added: "Goodbye mijo (my son)."

Mourners also heard two poems written by Long's 15-year-old sister, Samantha, and watched a slide presentation of baby, graduation, holiday and other photos made by Melissa Negron.

The graveside service included a 21-gun salute, playing of "Taps" and presentation of the flag to Long's mother, Kathy Hamilton. Family members, each taking a moment to say goodbye, placed long stemmed red roses on the coffin.

Chrystal said it was clear from hearing the words of Long's family and friends, that the Sun Valley resident, who would have been 19 on Sept. 3, had made an indelible impression on those around him.

"He was one of those people that makes a difference," Chrystal said. "You are not aware of it (at the time), but he's making a difference in your life."

Ellie