PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Recon V.S STA

Exzile
08-22-06, 01:44 AM
Ok So heres a little bit about me. I come from a Marine Corps Family. Family Members were everything from Embassy guard to Artillary. Im Joining very soon but have questions I would rather ask yall rather than my family members who dont really know what to tell me aside from youll have no problem getting into Force Recon or STA. Here is my dillema. I am 20 years old with a highschool diploma. Athletic and my marksman ship is quite impressive. I am quick to make decesions etc. Now heres my question what does it take to be in force recon and the scout sniper programs. And How would one go about being put into those programs, please help me out before I sign. I would appreciate all the info I could get. Thank you

STA0311
08-22-06, 09:45 AM
Things have changed with Recon...where I think that you may have a chance to take an INDOC at SOI, but even if you pass it dosent mean that you will get selected. THEN after you have been with battalion for a while, you may get a shot at Force. Recon is not what I was so these are just what I have heard from friends.
NOW STA...I was in a STA Platoon and the prereqs are plain and simple.
E2 - E7, 1st Class PFT, 03XX serving in a Scout Sniper Billet, Normal color and 20/20 correctable vision, No Injuries, No NJP or Page 11's, Minimum 12 months on contract, be a voulunteer, at least 100 GT on ASVAB, Rifle Expert, no financial problems, no mental problems, and posses a high degree of maturity. Those are just for Sniper School...the platoon may have some different pre-reqs. but you will have to INDOC there too, and just because you pass dosent mean that you get selected.
understand that you don't get to pick some special elite assignment upon entrance to boot camp. you have to do your time in the fleet first, so EXPECT to be the low man in the fleet for a while before you get to go play with the big dogs and fun toys!

MillRatUSMC
08-22-06, 10:02 AM
After some debating on my part, having some experience in the Recon field.
Now that the Marine Corps has some from Force Recon in U.S. Special Operations Command.
There been a push to get more into Battalion Recon, why Battalion Recon instead of Force Recon.
Most will have to spend some time in Battalion Recon before been given the chance to qualify for Force Recon.
It will require a great deal of self-motivation on your part.
From my own experience, times you will have to do what's good for the Corps instead of what good for you.
In the move by my Recon company to Vietnam, the infantry battalion we were attached to, found itself short of Non-Commissioned-Officers.
There was need and I was a young Corporal, I than got orders to India Company 3rd Battalion 4th Marines in early 1965.
That was after having trained in the Recon field for over four years.
What my fellow Reconner accomplished in Vietnam, made me proud that I once was training with them.
And all that training was put to good use and I think it insured my survival in a world of madness.
OK, on sniping, you already have the base or foundation, good marksmanship.
But as an old Primary Marksmanship Instructor (PMI), I would rather have recruits that never had fired a weapon or had any training in marksmanship.
Because I was required to teach them what the Marine Corps want me to teach them.
I think I did fairly well, but my biggest regret were those did not qualify.
There was a war going on and I believe to this day, that some chose that way to avoid serving.
Some were draft and some enlisted, after thinking it over some decided that Vietnam was not in their best interest.
If you shoot good enough you might be given the chance to qualify as a sniper.
Recon too has a need for snipers, if you get into Recon, you can request a slot in the next sniper class.
There one question, I always wanted to ask;
Why does everybody want to get into these fields?
When did we go from just wanting to be a Marine to an elite Marine?
If you're a Marine to the best of your abilities, than to me your an elite Marine...

STA0311
08-22-06, 10:19 AM
Oh yeah, marksmanship and shooting is only about 10% of being a Scout Sniper BTW.

Exzile
08-22-06, 10:35 AM
I appreciate all the info guys. I am well aware that I will have to eat the dirt along with everyone else before I even see the glory of the STA or Recon fields. Its just that I wanted to know what I needed to do to WORK up to those types of things. Everything in life is earned and I am aware of that. And that is what gives the most satisfaction, when you want something so bad that you earn it. I wanted to know the other skills I might need so that I can begin honning them now. But once again thank you all for your help

MillRatUSMC
08-22-06, 10:47 AM
Swim and than swim some more that a big requirement of Recon.
Shooting do alot of snapping in...Gunny Carlos Hathcock did a lot of that prior to Vietnam and when he was part of the Marine Corps Rifle Team.
For whatever its worth;
http://www.geocities.com/millrat_99/marksmanship.html
Some pages on marksmanship as I remember it...some might be dated.
But the fundamentals remain constant...

Exzile
08-22-06, 10:54 AM
Thank you Millrat. I will study that and try and gain as much knowledge from that site as Humanly possible

ChiefUSMC
08-24-06, 03:15 PM
How are you doing EXZILE, just to give you a heads up on 14 Dec 2005 the Marine Corps came out with a new program that individuals can enlist for it is called a UZ, Basic Recon with a 10,000 bonus which is recieved after you complete BRC just as my counterparts have explained the prerequisites are still applicable. Now note that there are not very many quota's for this program so it is first come first serve. Also this fiscal years allocations have not came out. Good luck in your future endevors.

Semper Fidelis
GySgt James A. Rowley
NCOIC RSS Wichita North
Office (316)943-8132
Fax (316)942-7010

“SUCCESS IS MEASURED NOT SO MUCH BY THE POSITION THAT ONE HAS REACHED IN LIFE AS BY THE OBSTACLES WHICH HE HAS OVERCOME WHILE TRYING TO SUCCEED.”

-BOOKER T. WASHINGTON, AMERICAN EDUCATOR