PDA

View Full Version : Another Marine lost....

beaufort bob
08-20-06, 01:12 PM
Yesterday morning, it came to my attention that Capt. John J. Mc Kenna, 1V, USMC, was killed on Friday by a sniper's bullet in Fallujah. What makes this significant to me is that I grew up with his father back in the "old neighborhood" in Brooklyn. Last night, my wife was able to speak with his mother who was "holding up" remarkably well.
John grew up in the Kensington section of Brooklyn as did me and my family. He attended Bishop Ford High School and joined the Marine Corps immediately after graduating from college. He was 30 years old.
John will be waked at the M. J. Smith Funeral Home , Prospect Park West, Brooklyn this Tuesday and Wednesday followed by a Mass of Christian burial at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church. Burial will take place at the National Cemetery in Saratoga, N.Y. where the family had recently moved to.
The telephone number for the funeral home is 518-280-2801 for anyone who wishes more details.
Rest in peace.

thedrifter
08-20-06, 01:14 PM
Rest In Peace

Ellie
:cry:

beaufort bob
08-20-06, 01:24 PM
The telephone number given for the M. J. Smith Funeral Home is incorrect. It should be 718-788-2255.

MillRatUSMC
08-20-06, 01:25 PM
We pray that our brother Marine...Capt. John J. Mc Kenna, 1V, USMC
May he, Rest In Peace...

thedrifter
08-20-06, 01:25 PM
A little info on this Fine Hero...

NYS Trooper Killed While Serving with Marines in Iraq
Aug 18, 2006 07:02 PM

The War in Iraq hits home in the Capital Region after a New York State Trooper from Clifton Park is killed, while serving our country with the Marines in Iraq.

Captain John McKenna IV was serving in the western part of Iraq, conducting combat operations in the Al Anbar province when he was killed Wednesday. Before that, he served as a State Trooper.

The Department of Defense has confirmed the death of Marine Captain John McKenna and a second Marine from Albany's FOX Company; and sources tell NEWS10's John McLoughlin, who was first to report this story, that Captain McKenna may have been trying to rescue that other Marine, when he was shot in the head by a sniper.

Captain McKenna, born on St. Patrick's Day 30-years ago, was part of a large contingent of Marines from Albany's FOX Company. NEWS10 was there when they departed from Albany on December 1st, 2005 to join a sister battalion headed for Iraq.

All of them volunteers; most for a second combat tour in Iraq, including Captain McKenna.

In civilian life, Captain McKenna was a State Trooper, from Troop F in Kingston. He trained at Saratoga, Troop G after getting out of the academy a year ago.

He is unmarried; his mom and dad were in the process of moving to Clifton Park from Brooklyn. His married sister lives in Clifton Park also.

"Captain McKenna was not just a great patriot who served in Afghanistan and Iraq, but also a wonderful Trooper," says Governor Pataki.

The other marine who was killed is identified as Lance Corporal Michael Glover of New York City, who also served with the Marine unit out of Albany. he postponed his law school studies to go to Iraq.

Sources tell NEWS10 that McKenna may have tried to rescue or replace the Corporal in the firefight, when he too was killed.

"We have to continue to think and pray for his parents, and we just can't be grateful enough for his patriotism and for his courage," Governor Pataki says.

The Department of Defense is saying very little on how the two Marines died, except that both were shot in the head.

Sources tell us that the funeral for Captain McKenna will be in Brooklyn, where he comes from originally, with burial in Saratoga National Cemetery, near his newly adopted home in Clifton Park.

Stay tuned to NEWS10 at 11pm for continuing coverage of this developing story, including an interview with family of Captain John McKenna IV.

Ellie

beaufort bob
08-20-06, 01:49 PM
Thanks, Ellie ,for the additional info. We were'nt aware that he was a State Trooper. We knew the family from years ago, but didn't know John.
My wife and I will be traveling to Brooklyn on Wednesday from our summer home in N.J. to pay our respects.
Thanks again. You are a wonderful asset to the Forums.

thedrifter
08-20-06, 02:10 PM
You and Your Better Half Be Safe...

God Bless
Ellie

GunnyL
08-20-06, 02:27 PM
God Bless these two young Marines, may they Rest in Peace!

Semper Fi!

BOOGIEMAN44
08-20-06, 03:11 PM
May The Too Marines Rest In Peace, May God Bless Both Of You.