View Full Version : Calvin Gardner, beginning a second life as a Navy chaplain

thedrifter
08-20-06, 11:35 AM
Calvin Gardner, beginning a second life as a Navy chaplain

Stars and Stripes
Pacific edition, Monday, August 21, 2006

Calvin Bruce Gardner Sr.

Duty Station: Camp Foster, Okinawa.

Rank: Master sergeant, U.S. Marine Corps; chaplain selectee, U.S. Navy.

Pacific readers: Know someone whose accomplishments, talents, job, hobby, volunteer work, awards or good deeds qualify them for 15 minutes of fame? How about someone whose claim to glory is a bit out of the ordinary — even, dare we say, oddball? Call Sharen Johnson at Stars and Stripes with the person’s name and contact information at DSN 229-3305 or e-mail her at johnsons@pstripes.osd.mil.

How long have you been a Marine?

21 years, 2 months, 0 days, 0 seconds.... (SMILE!)

Of your work in the Corps, of what are you most proud?

E-mails from former and still-on-active-duty Marines expressing their sincere appreciation for my leadership and guidance. To me there is no greater reward because I believe it is my calling as a Marine senior noncommissioned officer to train them to take my place.

What’s a Marine master sergeant’s most essential trait?

I am not sure one can separate our leadership traits. … By the time you make master sergeant, you need to have all the traits at work. … And they’d better be working in your personal life first. I like how Steven Covey puts it: “Private victories precede public victories.” Persons who lack our leadership traits in their private lives are just blowing smoke.

To be a Marine?

Unselfishness — others-centered, not self-centered.

Many servicemembers with your years in uniform would be retired. Yet you’re planning to become a commissioned Navy officer and a chaplain?

I am determined to “die on empty,” take no regrets or “what ifs” to my grave … I must do what God has put me on earth to do.

Why the Navy?

I’m a 21-year Marine … how could I go anywhere else? Besides, I wanted to be a MARINE chaplain.

Why a chaplain?

My retirement package sat in my car for almost four months. I could not submit it because the thought of serving as a chaplain would not leave my mind and heart … With 21 years in the military, 18 years of pastorate experience and my desire to serve in full-time ministry, the chaplaincy fits perfectly.

18 years?

I have been attending classes off-duty since 1988 … I now have an associate degree in divinity, bachelor’s in biblical studies and organizational leadership, master’s degrees in community services, religion and Christian education and a doctorate in Christian education.

What kept you going?

My wife of 19 years … I could not have made it without her.

What person is your hero?

Too many to mention so I’ll focus on the one who impacted my life most … She was born in 1899 and died in 1983, had a third-grade education … Leatha Washington, my great-grandmother. She taught me to pray and believe God for the impossible.

On your days off, where can you most likely be found?

Spending time with family/friends, working out, trying to finish my book so I can publish it, counseling or at the church I pastor in Ginowan City, Okinawa, Japan.

What books?

“Missing God by 18 inches” and “Cross Rifles for the Cross,” a devotional book. Proceeds from the devotional will help fund a nonprofit organization I want to start to financially assist servicemembers and their families while they attend seminary to become chaplains.

What historical figure would you most like to resemble?

Christ. His life is the perfect example of how one should live.

Ellie