PDA

View Full Version : Armstrong method

Erikh
08-19-06, 02:06 PM
Greetings pollees and Marines, let me start out with a little about my self, about a year and a half ago i weighted around 295 pounds and decided enough was enough. I dedicated my self to a new way of life, 6 months ago and 85 pounds lighter it became clear to me that the honor, respect, discipline, and brotherhood that the Marine's uphold is something that i have been looking for. I have now lost another 20 pounds but still lack the strength to pass the IST, motovation isnt the problem, I will take however long its needs to prepare my self to reach my goal.

Anyways my question is i just started the Armstrong pullup program along with his advice of doing pushups in the morning, I also added a core total body workout that i am doing Mon/wed/fri along with running during the week with the weekends off. The core workout can be found here http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=fitness&category=workout.plans&conitem=272511ada24fb010VgnVCM200000cee793cd____&page=3

I was wondering if i should continue to do this for the given 4 weeks to help build a more stable core/body and then move back to weights or would it create some imbalances when combined with the Pullups/pushups that i do everyday.

sgtscottking
08-19-06, 02:57 PM
If you email me your current workout program, age, weight, height, and diet I can help you. I am a certified fitness trainer and will gladly give a little advice to anyone prepairing to join our beloved Corps.

Sgt. Scott King 1992-1998

trainer.bootcamp@yahoo.com

jryanjack
08-19-06, 03:01 PM
If i can ask - how did you lose 105 lbs and now not have the strength to pass the IST? Don't misunderstand me, losing 105 lbs is one heck of an accomplishment, and I for one applaud you! However, the only way I know to lose weight is via exercise and diet, so my thought is via the process you should be more than able to pass the IST.

WJason777
08-19-06, 05:22 PM
I think you should stick to the weights, workout about 4 to 5 times a week. But befor you get back to the weights you should stop by you local GNC and get you some Protein Mix, i use Muscles Milk it has 32grams per 2 Scoops. This stuff is very good with building musclse and strenght, plus it burns fat. If you go there on the right time of month you should be able to buy one and get another half off so about $60 for 2 containers. Drink one serving after workouts and another befor you go to bed that night you worked out.

Accord
08-19-06, 05:50 PM
Greetings pollees and Marines, let me start out with a little about my self, about a year and a half ago i weighted around 295 pounds and decided enough was enough. I dedicated my self to a new way of life, 6 months ago and 85 pounds lighter it became clear to me that the honor, respect, discipline, and brotherhood that the Marine's uphold is something that i have been looking for. I have now lost another 20 pounds but still lack the strength to pass the IST, motovation isnt the problem, I will take however long its needs to prepare my self to reach my goal.

Anyways my question is i just started the Armstrong pullup program along with his advice of doing pushups in the morning, I also added a core total body workout that i am doing Mon/wed/fri along with running during the week with the weekends off. The core workout can be found here http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=fitness&category=workout.plans&conitem=272511ada24fb010VgnVCM200000cee793cd____&page=3

I was wondering if i should continue to do this for the given 4 weeks to help build a more stable core/body and then move back to weights or would it create some imbalances when combined with the Pullups/pushups that i do everyday.
The Armstrong Pullup Program is not a replacement for your regular exercise routine, it is merely intended to be incorporated into it and/or used on top of it. You should continue lifting weights as you normally do and do the Armstrong program as it says on top of it, however you may want to go easy on back day.

Erikh
08-19-06, 06:02 PM
If i can ask - how did you lose 105 lbs and now not have the strength to pass the IST? Don't misunderstand me, losing 105 lbs is one heck of an accomplishment, and I for one applaud you! However, the only way I know to lose weight is via exercise and diet, so my thought is via the process you should be more than able to pass the IST.

In losing so much weight you also tend to lose quiet a lot of muscle whether you mean to or not, i didnt work out 5 times a week all the time at first i didnt start working out till i got to around 260 and than started doing body weight training, ie some pushups(couldnt even do 1 full one), resistance bands, and body squats...alot with numerous other things, it wasnt until febuary that i got a membership to a gym and decided that the Marines is what i want out of life, thats when i began to research and study and my fitness trainer put me on a total body workout including pullups, crunches Mon. Wed. Fri. You have to understand it had been 2-3 years since i had done anything remotely to working out so my strength was rather unimpressive. My thought process was rather idiotic, with the mentality of get to the weight i want than rebuild from there, rather than rebuild while losing but no point in argueing about it now.

On the assisted pullups when i first started out i had to use almost all the weight allowed (which was about 130-150) im now down to using around 48-64 (doing the armstrong method), crunches r the easiest to advance on my last max set i believed i did 87 so i just need a few more and ill be there, and the 1.5 mile run i went from 18min to now around 14 which i know i can push my self and better that. But like i said ive had around 6 months to actually work gym equipment, and i feel much better than i did a year and a half ago.

Thanks sgtscottking i will defiently send an email your way.

JWG
08-19-06, 10:19 PM
I focus mainly on cardio... pushups, pullups, sit-ups, crunches, etc..

That's what builds LEAN BODY MUSCLE. What is USEFUL.. not for looks.

-Jon :iwo:

1895A
08-20-06, 01:01 AM
I focus mainly on cardio... pushups, pullups, sit-ups, crunches, etc..

That's what builds LEAN BODY MUSCLE. What is USEFUL.. not for looks.

-Jon :iwo:

thats where you sir are wrong there is nothing that builds more lean body mass more than deadlifts and squats those excersizes when done right apply more muscle to any part of the body than other excersizes and power cleans are close granted you squat to parallel and keep good form at all times, eat right yadda yadda yadda
but pushups/pullups do build endurance

Erikh
08-20-06, 01:56 AM
thanks for all the replies, i had been using a workout plan from oo-rah.com for about 3 weeks which was a 5 day workout scheme, I may go back and revise the workout changing the reps and sets every other week to keep the body guessing so i dont stall out and along with the armstrong method it should give me some positive gains.