View Full Version : Marines happy to be home

thedrifter
08-19-06, 08:49 AM
Marines happy to be home
More than 60 return from seven-month deployment to Iraq
Published Saturday August 19 2006
By LORI YOUNT
The Beaufort Gazette

Carrie Briggs was so overwhelmed at the thought of seeing her husband for the first time in seven months since he left for Iraq, she didn't care that their "secret" marriage wasn't so secret anymore.

"I'm telling everybody," she said giddily of her marriage while chatting to fellow families of Marines in the shade of the hangar Friday afternoon at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort. "He's coming home."

She married Capt. Travis Brittain, a weapon systems officer in Marine All-Weather Fighter Attack Squadron 533, in September in front of the chaplain at the base when they found out he was set to be deployed to Al Asad, Iraq. Her family in Minnesota still thinks the wedding date is Dec. 9, when their formal ceremony is scheduled.

Brittain, along with more than 60 other Marines and 12 F/A-18 Hornet fighter jets from "The Hawks," returned Friday to anxious families after providing air support for ground troops in Iraq since February.

When the last half-dozen jets arrived and popped the hoods of the cockpits in unison to the repeating soundtrack of "Top Gun," Briggs was confused because someone told her that her husband was in the wrong jet. She ran the entire flight line in low-heeled black sandals before spotting Brittain to give him a long-awaited embrace.

"Everything is green here. I'm happy to be back," said Brittain, receiving a slightly reproachful glance from Briggs. "And, of course, I'm happy to see my wife."

He said he looks forward to meeting their 5-month-old Old English sheep dog, Bob Jr., at home. Briggs said she didn't bring the puppy to the base because she "wanted attention."

Capt. Robert Johnson was able to meet his month-old son, Owen, as soon as he stepped off his jet Friday, though. He also missed the birth of his 2-year-old son, Cooper, when deployed in Okinawa, Japan, but he was able to speak to Owen on the phone as soon as he was born July 6, wife Jessica Johnson said.

"He ended up calling when (Owen) was coming out," Jessica Johnson said. "He talked to me when they put Owen on my chest. I said, 'Here's your new son,' and put the phone to (Owen's) ear."

But she said they aren't expecting to have a third child just to give her husband a chance to be at a birth.

"It's just one more thing being away to have a family that's growing and not being able to be there -- it's much tougher," Robert Johnson said. "I hope to be here a while before I have to do it again."

Capt. William Simmons, who returned from his third tour in Iraq, received a belated birthday present by climbing off his jet to his grandmother, mother and two young nephews. He turned 32 on Thursday and said he wasn't too upset his celebration with his family was delayed a day.

Missing family "is the price we pay for freedom," Simmons said. "There's nothing better than supporting the guys on the ground. ... I knew I was going home tomorrow, so that felt good."

The majority of the more than 200 Marines in VMFA(AW)-533 who were deployed to Al Asad are scheduled to return next week.

Ellie