PDA

View Full Version : Recruit Training Survival Tips

jinelson
08-18-06, 01:52 PM
I have taken the thread below by PerXes originally posted in Poolee Hall and removed the comments. These are the best and latest recruit training survival suggestions that I am aware of and will be of great help for those about to ship for one of the MCRD's. OORAH!!! Jim

Boot Camp Observations by Pfc Rob Jones USMC

When I was a poolee, I was always concerned with what I liked to call the "little stuff." Like head calls, and the everyday things. Well, I went and found out first hand, and I will now pass the info on to you. Most of you will pick a lot of this info up, or be told it by your DI's, but it doesn't hurt to know ahead of time.

1. Head Calls. When I was at RT, I accomplished more unfathomable feats of the bladder than I ever imagined I could. I'm talking about REALLY having to go, and then holding it for another hour or two. So if I can do it, you can too. Not that asking to make a head call isn't allowed, but you have to be smart about it. If you're platoon is in the middle of something, you'll only be holding them up, which is lame. Drill, for example. If you're out there drilling, the platoon has to wait on you while they could be tightening up Present Arms from Left Shoulder Arms. You've all gotten used to the ability to go whenever you want. Trust me, you CAN hold it. On the other side of the fence, though, if you do know you're going to **** yourself, you might want to ask. Another thing: don't be too shy to get really close to the guy next to you, cause when you only have 30 seconds, that giddy stuff goes right out the window.

2. Hygiene. Obviously a very important thing that recruits don't get a lot of time to do. 120 seconds to shower, 120 seconds to shave/brush your teeth, while 75 other recruits are all trying to do the same thing...it's tricky. Here's what I did: usually it would only be half the platoon in there at a time. The DI says, "Port side shower up, Starboard side scuzz em up(your boots)." So, Port side rushes in. Here's where you can get ahead: freaking GO FAST. There are only a few sinks, and a lot of people just slime in there. Get in there and get to a dang sink. My advice is: shave/teeth first. Most of the time, there is a huge rush to the shower, and there are plenty of sinks open. Thus, if you go fast at shaving and brushing, you can get in the changeover line quick, and get your own shower too. Just because it's "your" shower doesn't mean you shouldn't let the guy next to you rinse off while you soap up though...gotta look out for eachother. Another thing I suggest is not using shaving cream. I found it to be a huge waste of time, since I could get plenty close without it, and it kept the sink a lot cleaner. In the shower, you don't have time to wash everything, so MAKE SURE you wash all your cuts and rashes first, then wash the areas where skin contacts skin(behind the knees, armpits, elbows, etc), then on from there.
On another note for hygiene, make sure you use hand sanitizer all the time. Also, DON'T SCRATCH, you undisciplined POS! Scratching will only spread germs, and could lead to cellulitis(you don't want this, it eats your skin/muscles in the late stages). And keep your nasty hands out of your face, too. Oh, and don't cough either, nobody wants your freaking germs(you WILL get sick). And if you can't help it, cough into your damn elbow and not all over the other recruits around you.

3. Chow. Obviously, you have little time to eat chow. Two things you should ALWAYS eat are bread and fruit. These two things are also the only things you should eat for breakfast when you have PT or a PFT. You need the carbs. Plus, some of the greasy foods they serve will dehydrate you. Speaking of dehydration, stay the hell away from milk and ESPECIALLY ice cream and the fruit juices they have. Just drink Powerade and water. Now, as far as chow goes: you'll need to pick something good, but also pick something that you can eat fast. For example, given the choice between pasta and rotisserie chicken, take the pasta, it eats much faster. One way to eat faster is to make sandwiches out of your stuff. This way you can eat your main course and your bread at the same time. And make sure you put salt on your food to avoid hyponeutremia(not enough sodium to retain your water), and thus don't become a heat case.

4. Boot laces. No offense to any other Marines who do this, but laces that are wrapped around your boot just look nasty. Lace them left over right, pull them tight, put knots in the end, pull the loops until the knots are at the end, and tuck those babies in.

5. In the early stages(receiving/forming) especially, but also in the later stages, it is a freaking excellent idea to make sure you know where all your trash is. When your DI says, "go back there and get your whatever and get back on line, 20, 19, 18.." and you spend 10 of those seconds trying to think about where it IS, you're screwed("oh, you want to take your own sweet time? good, face feet. We'll play this game until every recruit is on line with whatever"). Plus, it just plain made me more secure, knowing where everything was at all times.

6. When you first get into your squadbay, you'll most likely just pick the first open rack you see, but consider this, if you can manage to somehow maneuver and choose a rack: the DIs like to talk from the middle of the squadbay. So, if you are hard of hearing, and/or want to make sure you hear what they say, you will want to position yourself in the middle. Also consider: if you're near the rear hatch on either side, you'll be able to get out faster, but if you're near the front quarter deck, you'll be able to get in the head faster, but you'll be more visible to DI's. As far as port side vs. starboard side goes, you will always do a "wagonwheel right," so if you're on port side you're near the end of the line. This is especially important for PT showers, where everyone is SUPPOSED to walk through the showers and keep going, but some retards like to stop in the shower and hold everyone up. You'll see what I'm talking about when your DI is at 30, and you haven't even made it to the rain room yet. However, if you're on Port side, at least in my platoon, you got to shower/shave first.

7. Marking gear. You'll have to mark a lot of gear with your marking kit. Most of the time you'll mark white tape, and put clear tape over it. The problem is: if you put too much ink on your marking thing, it will become a blob when you put the clear tape over it. The two solutions are, first, you can stamp a piece of paper with your stamper until there is barely any ink on there, OR you can just color the stamper with an el marko(marker). Either one works.

8. More on hygiene. This may be irrelevant now, since recruits are being issued MOLLY gear instead of cantenes, but make sure you keep what you drink your water out of clean. I would bleach my cantenes every Sunday. This just involved putting a drop of bleach in my full cantene and swishing it around, and then i would wash off the mouth too. I don't know if you can do this with a camelback, but i'm sure there is some way to do it. This will further help you stay healthy. If you think about it, you are sick, and you drink from a pool of stagnant water, so the germs just stay in there...you need to get rid of them.

9. This probably isn't a good idea in the beginning, but as the cycle goes on, you will get into the swing of things, and know what your DI is about to order you to do. Thus, it can be a good idea to "get ahead," as I like to call it. For example, when we prepared for hygiene time, if I had any extra time after getting all my stuff out, I would unblouse my trousers and loosen my boots. Now, this can also get you in trouble, as it did me("did he say unblouse your trousers? Good, pick up your foot locker, hold it out in front of you. Squat. Lower, back straight.") You gotta have common sense. You can also get ahead in other ways that won't get you in trouble, such as rolling your sleeves once you get your cammies back from laundry, and making grunt rolls when you get your fresh skivvies. Use your dang free time for squaring away your trash, not writing freaking damn letters. You'll see these people in 3 months anyway.

10. Shut the hell up. Seriously. Just shut up. Close your damn mouth and stop getting your platoon in trouble. If everyone listened to this advice, their cycle would be SO much easier. "Good, you want to talk? Did I say run your nasty fat mouths? *commence punishment*" Also, OPEN YOUR FAT MOUTH as well. Scream for your life you lazy recruit! Oh, and don't act all hurt when you get in trouble, and if you are in pain don't show it. If you are wincing and ****, your DI will just say, "NOBODY CARES! JUST DIE ALREADY! IF you're going to faint, then faint so I get to watch you bleed!" Example: sometimes for some reason, recruits would throw up after getting out of the chow hall. The DIs would simply say, "Did I tell you to throw up?" Oh yeah, and DON'T SPIT LIKE A NASTY THING. "Who just spit?" "THIS RECRUIT SIR!" "Good, pick it up. Put it in your pocket." Plus, it's just plain nasty. I swallowed more loogies than I can remember, and I'm fine, so you can do it too.

Before I continue, I forgot something with the showers: make sure you remember where you put your trash. Personally, I would usually take one of the corners, and arrange my trash in such a way that I would be able to recognize it. You know how many times I saw people that were unable to find their stuff.

11. The Gas Chamber. There's not much advice I can give you here besides practice holding your breath after doing 15 sidestraddle hops. The gas burns your face and your throat and eyes, but it goes away pretty quickly and really isn't that difficult to bear. Don't sweat it, and don't get freaked out by the pathetic weaklings who have to barge out of the chamber early..no discipline.

12. CWS 3 Qualification. Easy, but there is one annoying thing. After you do the first part, you are lined up in the pool for a pretty long time. After that, you have to survival stroke for a while. Now...you've been standing around in cold water for like..half an hour and now you're swimming. Can you say TIGHT muscles? Jesus I thought my legs were falling off or something. Make sure when you're standing in that line you keep your legs loose or it'll be a painful 50 meters.

13. Pulling Targets. Stuff can get hectic in the pits. It takes a little time to get used to it, too. But, if you and your partner organize who will do what job, it'll be really helpful. Also, there is a distinctive noise when a round goes through your target. You will be able to tell that it was your target without even looking. Not that you shouldn't look, you should always have your eyes on your target. The sound is louder than the other sounds around you, and you will hear it in BOTH ears, and it will usually kind of make your ears ring. It's different from the sounds to your right and left, because usually you only hear those in one of your ears.

14. Hydrate. All the time. And make sure you hydrate BEFORE you need water. For example, if you have PT in the morning, you'd better drink at least 2 cantenes the night before. Don't be like Recruit Art and go down 3 times with a temperature of 107 and get sent home. Be smart. They say to drink 12-14 cantenes a day...now, that's not really possible, but the minimum of 6 is definitely reachable. There's no reason you should go down due to lack of water.

WJason777
08-21-06, 05:41 AM
These tips are very helpful.

SLU_fly_girl
08-21-06, 04:24 PM
10. Shut the hell up. Seriously. Just shut up. Close your damn mouth and stop getting your platoon in trouble. If everyone listened to this advice, their cycle would be SO much easier. "Good, you want to talk? Did I say run your nasty fat mouths? *commence punishment*" Also, OPEN YOUR FAT MOUTH as well. Scream for your life you lazy recruit! Oh, and don't act all hurt when you get in trouble, and if you are in pain don't show it. If you are wincing and ****, your DI will just say, "NOBODY CARES! JUST DIE ALREADY! IF you're going to faint, then faint so I get to watch you bleed!"

Oh so true!! I can't remember how much time I spent on the quarterdeck because of the nasty recruit who wanted to talk (yes, I was nasty at times, too, I was a recruit for crying out loud... but I was slightly older than the "typical" recruit and found I had a bit more discipline than most). Oh well, at least I got some extra time to work on my PT.

GET SOME!!

WJason777
08-21-06, 10:47 PM
When i was in ROTC thats how it was, there was always someone that just couldn't keep there month close, it was like they didnt care that they was getting the platoon in trouble.

Tyson
08-21-06, 10:59 PM
When i was in ROTC thats how it was, there was always someone that just couldn't keep there month close, it was like they didnt care that they was getting the platoon in trouble.

you know a sock and a bar of soap will fix that ;)

WJason777
08-22-06, 05:40 AM
haha, i would of got kicked out of school for that.

Barkman76
08-27-06, 09:18 PM
What are some of the Academic Requirements for Boot camp?

Adam1988
09-08-06, 05:14 AM
High School Diploma and pass the ASVAB. Correct me if I'm wrong, Marines.

jinelson
09-08-06, 09:32 AM
Thats Correct!

http://www.shareaphoto.info/uploads/91b0960092.jpg (http://www.shareaphoto.info)

bball21
09-20-06, 10:53 PM
I don't know what you mean by "keeping up with your trash." Does that mean your clothes? And also, I can't swim. Will i have to know how to before i leave, or do they teach you how to swim during RT?

DaveXIII90
09-21-06, 09:46 AM
First of all, Bball, most Marines on this forum do not answer anyone until they have a completed profile. And about the swimming...Im not trying to be harsh, but seriously man, you need to wake up and smell the coffee, and get your butt out to your nearest YMCA or other swim club with swimming lessons ASAP. If I was a Drill Instructor, and I had a recruit who couldnt swim at 17 years or older, you know what I would be thinking? I would be thinking, "GREAT! A RECRUIT WHO CANT SWIM YET! Hell, if he didnt take the time to learn to swim in those 18+ years, why should I believe that he will use common sense and go out of his way to accomplish things, let alone be prepared to learn life-saving skills?" No, that is not how I see your situation- but I am pretty sure a Drill Instructor WOULD see it like that. If you research just a little more and talk to some of the Marines on this forum, you will quickly realize that you need to know how to swim WELL beyond the basic stuff, like just moving through the water. This is the United States Marine Corps. You will hear words to describe it along the lines of "Tough, Hard as Hell, 'No BS', etc...."...and thats what it is- its not easy, and it takes alot of knowledge- not just academic related knowledge, but also knowledge about important physicall attributes, such as advanced swimming, endurance while running, being alert, knowing how to take care of your body in a stressful environment... there is so much you need to know in the USMC- and if you expect to be taught how to swim at USMC bootcamp, well, your gonna have second thoughts during those 13 weeks.....

bball21
09-21-06, 11:54 AM
Well i didn't fill out a full profile because i don't just give out names and number of people without asking them. I wouldn't want then doing the same to me, just putting my name and number online for anyone to see. And i've heard from countless Marines that thet teach you in bootcamp how to swim. And how to do everything else basically. They taech you literally everything you need to know is how i've heard it is by countless people that have already been through. They say bootcamp swimming isn't a big deal. And a surprising number of recruits don't know how to swim. I was just wondering if they teach you by throwing you in or what. And believe me, i've already gone to the local REC center and the YMCA, the YMCA offers adult lessons starting October 16th, which is my ship date, and the local REC is closing its pool for the Fall already.

But i'm wanting to know what is meant by "the trash?"

Camper51
09-21-06, 02:25 PM
bball21, you seriously need to fill out your profile. You won't be taken seriously in here unless you do. You don't have to give out your life's story and facts but give us an idea of who you are and you will get better responses out of us.

Trash is all your crap, clothes, razors, whatever you own is your trash...

Now fill out that profile if you want any more answers. I believe your time in here will be short unless you do it.... Read the rules for Poolees and Wannabe's

PerXes
09-21-06, 10:01 PM
They teach you 5 different strokes at CWS. The breast stroke, the side stroke, the back stroke, the doggy paddle, and another kind of back stroke that is easy or something. For those who can't swim, they get sent to remedial training. CWS-4(the minimum to continue in RT) is simply swimming across the pool, 25 meters, I think, in cammies and boots using one of those strokes. Then, you jump off the 10 foot tower, and swim to the side, and you are taught how to fill your cammie blouse with air so that you will float(it involves bending at the waist in the water, and blowing air into your blouse).

Now, for those of you who don't pass the first day, you'll get like...god, who even knows, half a billion freaking tries at it. I think it's somewhere around 5 or so tries, and if you keep failing, you'll keep getting remedial training all day.

One thing you want to remember at the pool is, they will not hesitate for half a millisecond to send you home if you don't do what they say...so pay attention, and watch yourself.

jebollenbach
10-14-06, 02:17 AM
bball21 you keep that attitude and your time in bootcamp wil either be real long or real short. Either way you will not enjoy it.

Yes everyone I know looks back at boot camp as one of the best memories of their lives no matter how tough it was at that time.

If you get yelled at and don't know why its because your Drill Instructor doesn't have to have a reason. You are there for one reason only; their enjoyment.

Worsham
11-16-06, 02:02 PM
It's possible....I did it...

Now what it is is damned unpleasant....

You have to hydrate that much when you go to PI from June to Sep...

Black Flag nearly every day...

Now what really sucks about that is....12-16 canteens go in....1 an hour

And we all know what goes in must come out....

That is the fun part....

Celtic Tiger
12-13-06, 03:24 PM
Excellant advice Jinelson, i especially loved the "shut the hell up". My time in the reserves can never compare to the Marine Corps, but christ i can really identify with that. Some know it all's in every bunch just never do learn.

For example during a tactics course this summer we had one guy who kept correcting the nco's and adding his own "words of wisdom", what made it worse is that he frequently used examples to war movies... I felt sorry for the poor fella as the rest of the platoon inevitably isolated him and the nco's pretty much ignored him in the end.

The worst of it was when at the end of the week the chief of staff would be arriving to observe the progress of our platoon, and this guy was in my section.

Thankfully i was saved by the grace of god when my section IC decided to take us on a route march the night before the Chief of Staff was to arrive, and knowing this fella wasn't exactly at high pysical standards, he got an injury and had to be sent home that night before he could do any damage the next day.

I will never be so thankfull.

Anyways, a bit off topic but i had to share it.

drumcorpssnare
12-18-06, 02:32 PM
One of the things that makes us the greatest fighting force in the world, is that we look out for each other. We take care of our fellow Marines! I remember helping a 'fat-body' make it through more than one 3-mile run. And my drill instructors noticed it. They would occaisionally mention things about helping the 'non-hackers.'
On the flip side...I knew before boot camp how to assemble all the various marching pack combinations used by Marines. My dad was a career Marine. When we had classes on field packs, etc. I had all my gear squared away while the other recruits were struggling with their ponchos, shelter-halves, etc. And I just sat there all smug, because I already knew this stuff.
Well, when my drill instructors saw this, they PT'd the livin' heck out of me!
The message was simple...
"How dare you NOT help a fellow Marine!" (I know, at the time it was 'recruit', not Marine.)
drumcorpssnare:usmc:

the_mo
12-20-06, 02:47 PM
just sound the hell off, if your a guid or squad leader dont be an ******* but get the job done, dont be afraid to step up and try to take one of those positions.

dont be stupid, a little common sense goes along way. it feels like forever but goes by fast.

also IT only makes you better and 2nd phase easyer.

SPEMPER FI

PFC MOMAN

echo3oscar1833
01-07-07, 12:05 PM
If you are alrady signed up and have a ship date then you do need to update your profile. (IE Recruiter Name, Phone#, etc) And as far as your attutude goe like one of my DI's would always say "You better Fix that Trash"-Sgt Jackson PLT 2085 Junior Hat. Other than that great advice SSgt. Wish I had someone that told me all of that when I went to boot camp lol. But what the hell that would have defeted all the purpose of the fun loving games our DI's would have us do lol.

Semper Fi!!:marine:

Allen870922
01-20-07, 01:24 AM
Those are some great and very accurate tips. I got a tip to add if you don't mind.

Something a recruit should NEVER do: Don't ever go behind your SDI's back. If you have a "complaint" about your DI hitting you or something and you want it to be known to his superiors, make sure you always tell your SDI first and only. Too many times I've seen recruits go behind the senior's back and go straight to the series commander with a complaint. Your senior will take that as a personal insult and your Plt will pay for it.

BEARMANNN
01-21-07, 07:46 PM
Just go to Boot Camp and shut your "Pie Hole". Listen and do whatever your Drill Instructor tells you. Never, never question what he tells you.
A Marine "Ay-Ay Sir" and does it>

End

Jfloirendo
02-12-07, 03:16 PM
Even though its been said hundreds of times I'll say it again Keep your mouth shut. Our platoon payed for it all the time, even after lights one night. I dont know how hard it is not to talk. But this guide helped me get through it and recruit training isn't that bad, the time flies by. If you have any questions just PM me and I'll be glad to answer

Plt 3010
Honor Platoon
3rd Bn L Co
SDI SSgt McCloskey (Sgt until Jan then was meritoriously promoted)
DI Sgt Gamezrickli
DI Sgt Johnson

THOMAS MILLER
02-17-07, 03:30 PM
Hello, Iwas Wondering Anyone Can Help Me With A Problem About Becoming A Marine?

YLDNDN6
02-18-07, 09:50 AM
If you fill out a profile we might...

JohnWayne
02-20-07, 08:44 PM
For example during a tactics course this summer we had one guy who kept correcting the nco's and adding his own "words of wisdom", what made it worse is that he frequently used examples to war movies... .

:sick:

What the hell? I would just **** myself laughing if I heard some guy break in saying "-well hold on sir. That is a pretty good idea for an ammateur. Let me tell you something. Sure, you could have a man walking point real quiet, but that's not what Rambo would do..." going on to explain how charging with an M60 spraying is the proper way of doing it.

I talked to a Marine once who said during basic they had this "gamer" prick who thought playing Counter Strike made him 5 years ahead of everybody... early in he asked where they had to go to buy their weapons, how many he could carry, and frequently used the words n00b 1337 and pwn. Now I wasn't there but I can guarantee you some D.I. punched him in the teeth when he accidentally asked something about how many lives you get.
:!: :idea:

SemperGumbi
02-26-07, 06:05 PM
Is it true that reservist at RT get treated like crap?

jinelson
02-26-07, 07:47 PM
Not any more or less than all the rest of the worthless pukes trying to become my brother.

Jim

Achped
02-26-07, 08:40 PM
Not any more or less than all the rest of the worthless pukes trying to become my brother.

Jim

Staff Sgt, before I leave for the island, please say something like that to me, instead of "words of wisdom" or anything of that sort. I can't tell you exactly why, but what you just said motivated the hell out of me.

2111armorer
03-05-07, 06:24 PM
At least try to hold a billet and if you get it make sure to do your best so that you dont get fired from the billet .:usmc:

maverickmarine
03-06-07, 06:47 AM
When I was on board MCRD the Drill Instructors hired and fired at will. There wasn't much in the way of applying for a position, LOL. Generally if you do what you're supposed to do and doing it well without hesitation, you will be put into some form of leadership roll. However, you will probably be fired from it at some point to for being nasty or just freakin' because they felt like it. But, if you stay squared away and motivated you may get rehired....that is of course if you nasties have what it takes to become part of my beloved Marine Corps. Get some!

traumajunkie13
03-08-07, 12:36 PM
its simple do what they tell you as fast, precise, and to the best of your ability and youll do fine. dont get discourged because i promise you there will be times you will be thinking i kicked this in the a&^ but they will knock your thoughts right down but get up and do it again

SnowPaint078
03-25-07, 09:07 AM
Thanks a lot this was really helpful.

No1stunner
04-12-07, 05:50 AM
shut up , do what your told, do it fast and right the 1st time.... best way to survive. Your still gonna pay....believe me!

Dainslef
04-19-07, 09:25 AM
speed, volume, and intensity.. not too much more a Dril Instructor could demand.

MCWRESTLER2006
05-03-07, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the tips.....Im so excited to leave:banana:

MCWRESTLER2006
05-03-07, 10:21 PM
Thanks for the tips....I will remember them when I get there....

davblay
05-03-07, 10:54 PM
The best advise I can give is the same to all Poolees I talk to! Do what you're told, when you're told, where you're told, how you're told, and who you're told to do it to!, Keep your mouth shut, never volunteer, and never, ever let them learn your name! If you can accomplish these few things, you will be fine! ;)

killerinstinct
06-01-07, 12:25 PM
alright i know this is a little thing but this is somethign that you learn real quick..

1. NEVER drink from the scuttlebutt you refill your canteens from the tap from the head.

2. its a small thing and im not sure if they still do it or if it was simply my company. BUT when we went to the chow hall you we heard one shot one kill and basically had one shot to grab a fork. They have knives but we were only allowed 1 piece of silver ware. Its always place d in the same spot so make sure you guys dont get a knife like i did as its really hard to eat with one.

3. also youll hear alot left hand left knee right hand right knee. You only eat with one hand and the other on your knee and just stare at your food chow down and you go outside and stand in formation and wait for everyone to be finished.

BTW if you havent noticed its a trait you will have for the rest of your lives MARIENS DONT PLAY AT CHOW you get food its gone in 30 seconds. Your family will notice how you guys will eat alot faster and finish

That hurry up and wait thing it stays with ya FO_EV_ERRRRRRRRRRRRR

Coda
07-01-07, 12:08 PM
good tips however, i found each platoon does alot of things different. im going to put my opinion about bootcamp on when i get some time. i think there is some very good tips above for anyone thinking about joining or people already in the poolee program.

immaproshooter
07-03-07, 10:09 PM
ya its very good general tips but jsut remember just as the Corps does...the two things you ALWAYS need to remember is EVERYTHING is subject to change at ANY second of the day...and the one thing you will do more then ANYTHING in the Corps is you will always Hurry up and wait.....

Williams92
07-08-07, 10:33 PM
hey i got a question for anyone who can answer is there a height restriction for joining the marines

Kurby494
07-09-07, 08:32 AM
hey i got a question for anyone who can answer is there a height restriction for joining the marines

google.com can answer alot of these simple questions. You should only post a question on here if you have'nt tried in earnest to find the answer for yourself.

Baisicly there is'nt a set limit. But if your shorter then 4.5 ft or taller than 7.5 ft you might have issuses. Also I know for a fact that certain MOS's have height limitations.

bgsuwoody
07-09-07, 09:51 AM
Williams this isn't the right thread for your question. If you wish to ask a question not related to "Recruit Training Survival Tips" please search for your answer, or post in a new thread. Thank You.

immaproshooter
07-14-07, 09:04 AM
man it sure has gotten alot nicer in here since when i first joined if a poolee would have asked a question that could have been so easily found somewhere in the forum by searching for it their butts would have been jumped by several Marines......jsut rememebr to always search before asking questions we do not mind helping you out at all but rememebr theres hundreds of people that have the same questions so most of the time they have already been asked and answered a few times as well....

Norkalkilla
08-24-07, 03:01 PM
Thank you all for the advice.

Haffner
08-24-07, 07:36 PM
Go buy a a set of cammies from a military surplus store (well, at least a top) -- doesn't matter if it's old blotch pattern or digi -- and search online for the method to roll sleeves and freakin' practice it. At first, when everyone learns how to roll sleeves and does it for the first time, they'll look like they have freakin' damn donuts wrapped around their biceps. If you've got a pretty good grip on rollin' them professional lookin' from the get-go (mine were about as nice as the DI's) it'll land you a billet real quick, if not at that moment.

Ol Bob
10-04-07, 11:12 AM
Go buy a a set of cammies from a military surplus store (well, at least a top) -- doesn't matter if it's old blotch pattern or digi -- and search online for the method to roll sleeves and freakin' practice it. At first, when everyone learns how to roll sleeves and does it for the first time, they'll look like they have freakin' damn donuts wrapped around their biceps. If you've got a pretty good grip on rollin' them professional lookin' from the get-go (mine were about as nice as the DI's) it'll land you a billet real quick, if not at that moment.

Good point.....sleeves are like a way of telling what kind of recruit you are. If you look like you just rolled them up your arm it says you take no pride in your uniform. I would have a bad day if my sleeves had even the slightest wrinkle in them. That's 1st Battalion for ya.

Tremont8585
10-21-07, 01:13 AM
Those were some really good tips, but I keep seeing a recurring statement, "Never volunteer for anything!"

It seems like if you wanted to get noticed for being motivated, you would volunteer for certain things.

The guy who was the guide at the station I enlisted just graduated Series Honorman, and has got to be the most motivated person I've ever met, basically my question is, what happens if you try to show your motivation through volunteering?

Smitty Puffs
10-21-07, 01:56 PM
From what I know it justs makes it harder on yourself. Brings about the attention of your DI's and it doesnt matter how much you bust your ass, their still not gonna be nice to you. But if you like being the best and dont mind the extra workload, then go for it.

floflo
11-30-07, 11:38 AM
lol. OOrah Gunny on that one.

Crusader20
11-30-07, 02:56 PM
jebollenbach

i dont recall any good memories about boot camp. I just remember one day after the next of constant running and drilling.

I do remember the saying about my rifle.

The two best days of boot camp will be when you get your rifle and the day when you turn it back it.

Shick019
12-11-07, 08:00 PM
Thank you for this information, I will keep it in mind for the future and use it in my life as a cadet as much as I can.

DanTheMan
12-20-07, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the advice Hoss. i'm sure it'll be right helpful

SGT Bos
01-02-08, 08:21 PM
My best advice would be to arrive in shape, be highly motivated and dont concern your self with anyone else attitude or negative comments. Do learn your General Orders, read up on all Marine corps knowledge before you arrive, keep your self squared away at all times. Do not act like a "Rock", be prepared for sudden changes, dont rely on the house mouse for any intel, do not have Susie rotten crotch send anything special such as , I,E, perfumed letters, panties, or your favorite magazine, candy or cookies(unless she sends it for the whole platoon, get a start on learning your spit shine. If you go to Rt in the summer wash your socks when you shower and then hang them out after Taps.

Semper Fi

JAG1990tn
02-28-08, 01:50 PM
I have taken the thread below by PerXes originally posted in Poolee Hall and removed the comments. These are the best and latest recruit training survival suggestions that I am aware of and will be of great help for those about to ship for one of the MCRD's. OORAH!!! Jim

When I was a poolee, I was always concerned with what I liked to call the "little stuff." Like head calls, and the everyday things. Well, I went and found out first hand, and I will now pass the info on to you. Most of you will pick a lot of this info up, or be told it by your DI's, but it doesn't hurt to know ahead of time.

1. Head Calls. When I was at RT, I accomplished more unfathomable feats of the bladder than I ever imagined I could. I'm talking about REALLY having to go, and then holding it for another hour or two. So if I can do it, you can too. Not that asking to make a head call isn't allowed, but you have to be smart about it. If you're platoon is in the middle of something, you'll only be holding them up, which is lame. Drill, for example. If you're out there drilling, the platoon has to wait on you while they could be tightening up Present Arms from Left Shoulder Arms. You've all gotten used to the ability to go whenever you want. Trust me, you CAN hold it. On the other side of the fence, though, if you do know you're going to **** yourself, you might want to ask. Another thing: don't be too shy to get really close to the guy next to you, cause when you only have 30 seconds, that giddy stuff goes right out the window.

2. Hygiene. Obviously a very important thing that recruits don't get a lot of time to do. 120 seconds to shower, 120 seconds to shave/brush your teeth, while 75 other recruits are all trying to do the same thing...it's tricky. Here's what I did: usually it would only be half the platoon in there at a time. The DI says, "Port side shower up, Starboard side scuzz em up(your boots)." So, Port side rushes in. Here's where you can get ahead: freaking GO FAST. There are only a few sinks, and a lot of people just slime in there. Get in there and get to a dang sink. My advice is: shave/teeth first. Most of the time, there is a huge rush to the shower, and there are plenty of sinks open. Thus, if you go fast at shaving and brushing, you can get in the changeover line quick, and get your own shower too. Just because it's "your" shower doesn't mean you shouldn't let the guy next to you rinse off while you soap up though...gotta look out for eachother. Another thing I suggest is not using shaving cream. I found it to be a huge waste of time, since I could get plenty close without it, and it kept the sink a lot cleaner. In the shower, you don't have time to wash everything, so MAKE SURE you wash all your cuts and rashes first, then wash the areas where skin contacts skin(behind the knees, armpits, elbows, etc), then on from there.
On another note for hygiene, make sure you use hand sanitizer all the time. Also, DON'T SCRATCH, you undisciplined POS! Scratching will only spread germs, and could lead to cellulitis(you don't want this, it eats your skin/muscles in the late stages). And keep your nasty hands out of your face, too. Oh, and don't cough either, nobody wants your freaking germs(you WILL get sick). And if you can't help it, cough into your damn elbow and not all over the other recruits around you.

3. Chow. Obviously, you have little time to eat chow. Two things you should ALWAYS eat are bread and fruit. These two things are also the only things you should eat for breakfast when you have PT or a PFT. You need the carbs. Plus, some of the greasy foods they serve will dehydrate you. Speaking of dehydration, stay the hell away from milk and ESPECIALLY ice cream and the fruit juices they have. Just drink Powerade and water. Now, as far as chow goes: you'll need to pick something good, but also pick something that you can eat fast. For example, given the choice between pasta and rotisserie chicken, take the pasta, it eats much faster. One way to eat faster is to make sandwiches out of your stuff. This way you can eat your main course and your bread at the same time. And make sure you put salt on your food to avoid hyponeutremia(not enough sodium to retain your water), and thus don't become a heat case.

4. Boot laces. No offense to any other Marines who do this, but laces that are wrapped around your boot just look nasty. Lace them left over right, pull them tight, put knots in the end, pull the loops until the knots are at the end, and tuck those babies in.

5. In the early stages(receiving/forming) especially, but also in the later stages, it is a freaking excellent idea to make sure you know where all your trash is. When your DI says, "go back there and get your whatever and get back on line, 20, 19, 18.." and you spend 10 of those seconds trying to think about where it IS, you're screwed("oh, you want to take your own sweet time? good, face feet. We'll play this game until every recruit is on line with whatever"). Plus, it just plain made me more secure, knowing where everything was at all times.

6. When you first get into your squadbay, you'll most likely just pick the first open rack you see, but consider this, if you can manage to somehow maneuver and choose a rack: the DIs like to talk from the middle of the squadbay. So, if you are hard of hearing, and/or want to make sure you hear what they say, you will want to position yourself in the middle. Also consider: if you're near the rear hatch on either side, you'll be able to get out faster, but if you're near the front quarter deck, you'll be able to get in the head faster, but you'll be more visible to DI's. As far as port side vs. starboard side goes, you will always do a "wagonwheel right," so if you're on port side you're near the end of the line. This is especially important for PT showers, where everyone is SUPPOSED to walk through the showers and keep going, but some retards like to stop in the shower and hold everyone up. You'll see what I'm talking about when your DI is at 30, and you haven't even made it to the rain room yet. However, if you're on Port side, at least in my platoon, you got to shower/shave first.

7. Marking gear. You'll have to mark a lot of gear with your marking kit. Most of the time you'll mark white tape, and put clear tape over it. The problem is: if you put too much ink on your marking thing, it will become a blob when you put the clear tape over it. The two solutions are, first, you can stamp a piece of paper with your stamper until there is barely any ink on there, OR you can just color the stamper with an el marko(marker). Either one works.

8. More on hygiene. This may be irrelevant now, since recruits are being issued MOLLY gear instead of cantenes, but make sure you keep what you drink your water out of clean. I would bleach my cantenes every Sunday. This just involved putting a drop of bleach in my full cantene and swishing it around, and then i would wash off the mouth too. I don't know if you can do this with a camelback, but i'm sure there is some way to do it. This will further help you stay healthy. If you think about it, you are sick, and you drink from a pool of stagnant water, so the germs just stay in there...you need to get rid of them.

9. This probably isn't a good idea in the beginning, but as the cycle goes on, you will get into the swing of things, and know what your DI is about to order you to do. Thus, it can be a good idea to "get ahead," as I like to call it. For example, when we prepared for hygiene time, if I had any extra time after getting all my stuff out, I would unblouse my trousers and loosen my boots. Now, this can also get you in trouble, as it did me("did he say unblouse your trousers? Good, pick up your foot locker, hold it out in front of you. Squat. Lower, back straight.") You gotta have common sense. You can also get ahead in other ways that won't get you in trouble, such as rolling your sleeves once you get your cammies back from laundry, and making grunt rolls when you get your fresh skivvies. Use your dang free time for squaring away your trash, not writing freaking damn letters. You'll see these people in 3 months anyway.

10. Shut the hell up. Seriously. Just shut up. Close your damn mouth and stop getting your platoon in trouble. If everyone listened to this advice, their cycle would be SO much easier. "Good, you want to talk? Did I say run your nasty fat mouths? *commence punishment*" Also, OPEN YOUR FAT MOUTH as well. Scream for your life you lazy recruit! Oh, and don't act all hurt when you get in trouble, and if you are in pain don't show it. If you are wincing and ****, your DI will just say, "NOBODY CARES! JUST DIE ALREADY! IF you're going to faint, then faint so I get to watch you bleed!" Example: sometimes for some reason, recruits would throw up after getting out of the chow hall. The DIs would simply say, "Did I tell you to throw up?" Oh yeah, and DON'T SPIT LIKE A NASTY THING. "Who just spit?" "THIS RECRUIT SIR!" "Good, pick it up. Put it in your pocket." Plus, it's just plain nasty. I swallowed more loogies than I can remember, and I'm fine, so you can do it too.

Before I continue, I forgot something with the showers: make sure you remember where you put your trash. Personally, I would usually take one of the corners, and arrange my trash in such a way that I would be able to recognize it. You know how many times I saw people that were unable to find their stuff.

11. The Gas Chamber. There's not much advice I can give you here besides practice holding your breath after doing 15 sidestraddle hops. The gas burns your face and your throat and eyes, but it goes away pretty quickly and really isn't that difficult to bear. Don't sweat it, and don't get freaked out by the pathetic weaklings who have to barge out of the chamber early..no discipline.

12. CWS 3 Qualification. Easy, but there is one annoying thing. After you do the first part, you are lined up in the pool for a pretty long time. After that, you have to survival stroke for a while. Now...you've been standing around in cold water for like..half an hour and now you're swimming. Can you say TIGHT muscles? Jesus I thought my legs were falling off or something. Make sure when you're standing in that line you keep your legs loose or it'll be a painful 50 meters.

13. Pulling Targets. Stuff can get hectic in the pits. It takes a little time to get used to it, too. But, if you and your partner organize who will do what job, it'll be really helpful. Also, there is a distinctive noise when a round goes through your target. You will be able to tell that it was your target without even looking. Not that you shouldn't look, you should always have your eyes on your target. The sound is louder than the other sounds around you, and you will hear it in BOTH ears, and it will usually kind of make your ears ring. It's different from the sounds to your right and left, because usually you only hear those in one of your ears.

14. Hydrate. All the time. And make sure you hydrate BEFORE you need water. For example, if you have PT in the morning, you'd better drink at least 2 cantenes the night before. Don't be like Recruit Art and go down 3 times with a temperature of 107 and get sent home. Be smart. They say to drink 12-14 cantenes a day...now, that's not really possible, but the minimum of 6 is definitely reachable. There's no reason you should go down due to lack of water.

Thank you Sir.
I am new here. Actually my second day. I have come to get a few answers and advice.
I will be more active in this site Sir.
Again, thank you Sir.

floflo
02-28-08, 02:07 PM
not everyone rates the title of sir.
mr. is totally accepetable, unless youre a poolee
that needs to learn that yourself. no enlisted person after
boot will appreciate being called sir unless they have shiny stuff on
their collar. yep. :marine:

JAG1990tn
02-28-08, 02:13 PM
not everyone rates the title of sir.
mr. is totally accepetable, unless youre a poolee
that needs to learn that yourself. no enlisted person after
boot will appreciate being called sir unless they have shiny stuff on
their collar. yep. :marine:

Ohh. Well I totally appreciate the info.
I am new here and I haven't exactly got everything into order.But i will keep your words in mind.
Can someone please check my profile and see if there is anything else I need?,Please.

floflo
02-28-08, 02:24 PM
you look pretty in shape! hopefully those muscles wont sink
in the combat pool during swim qual lol always pt pt pt!!!! they are going
to run your butt off

SGT7477
02-28-08, 03:25 PM
Ohh. Well I totally appreciate the info.
I am new here and I haven't exactly got everything into order.But i will keep your words in mind.
Can someone please check my profile and see if there is anything else I need?,Please.
Get use to saying,Sir Yes Sir in boot camp after if you happen to graduate as a Marine Sir gets dropped unless it you have to address a male officer,maam for a female officer and get use to saluting any officer. We Don't Promise You A Rose Garden.:evilgrin: :evilgrin:

JAG1990tn
02-28-08, 04:26 PM
:scared:
Get use to saying,Sir Yes Sir in boot camp after if you happen to graduate as a Marine Sir gets dropped unless it you have to address a male officer,maam for a female officer and get use to saluting any officer. We Don't Promise You A Rose Garden.:evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Alright.
Thanks for the info.
I will keep all words of wisdom in mind.
Any advice that can be given to this poolee is always appreciated.
I have been running alot here in the last few weeks. Does anyone have anymore training tips that I should be touching up on?

SGT7477
02-28-08, 04:37 PM
Pullups, situps and how far are you running how many minutes is it taking you to run 3 miles? Set goals in your workouts trying to beat them all the time. Tell me about your workouts.

JAG1990tn
02-29-08, 12:10 AM
On a daily basis I run probally about 7 miles. I don't actually time them. as i haven't been able to find my watch, due to moving and such. <br />
As far as a regular routine goes, I do bench press alot....

SGT7477
02-29-08, 06:11 AM
The way it looks you should do alright physically, mentally just hope you can take alot of sheeet, good luck.

JAG1990tn
02-29-08, 10:56 AM
The way it looks you should do alright physically, mentally just hope you can take alot of sheeet, good luck.

Thanks.
On the mental level. I think i can take it.
I have lived with my father and step mother for 8 years.
(hence, she hates my guts because of some dispute with my mother)
For 8 eight years I have put up with yelling in my face and of course a few "spit showers"
At one point in those 8 years, I couldn't cry.
Literally.
My brother died when i was 12. I went to his funeral and whatnot. And even though I felt terrible inside I could not make myself shed one tear.
(Not asking for sympathy, just giving and example.)

Anyways.For the most part. I think I can take the mental stuff.
I realize there is alot more to it than just screaming and so forth, yet i feel as if I can take it.

SGT7477
02-29-08, 11:10 AM
Hope it all works out for you never hurts to shed a tear I lost my son to a car accident 10 years ago and the way I see it if you ever see a Marine shed a tear you best get the hell out of the way because he means business. The mental thing is hard to train for because you never know what to expect I seen some people in boot camp just lose it all, hell one guy even ran up to a dumpster and broke both of his arms.

floflo
02-29-08, 11:12 AM
The drill instructors are going to say some "harsh" stuff but
if you really listen to them your main problem won't be tears, it'll be laughing. drill instructors say the funniest things in the world. and if you do make the cut to becoming a marine you'll remember this language and inside jokes for the rest of your life. it's always fun to get with a bunch of marines and just reenact drill instructors. they are magnificent people, just give them the respect they deserve and in return you'll receive really good training. and when the quarter deck opens up for "IT" volunteer. that stuff only helps build you physically and theyll see the initiative you have and you may just end up squad leader or guide. just make sure to be LOUD!!! back to the main point of this. their job is to make you break from being a nasty civilian with the name calling i.e. "fat, nasty, disgusting, worthless... etc." it's def all good :evilgrin: :D

SGT7477
02-29-08, 11:17 AM
He isn't going to be a lady leatherneck now is he or she? AAHHH

floflo
02-29-08, 11:19 AM
oh good!! i guess we didn't friggin train somewhat the same did we Sgt!? Gooooood!!!

SGT7477
02-29-08, 12:09 PM
I believe we didn't L/Cpl are you showing me no respect?

floflo
02-29-08, 12:17 PM
LOL not in the slightest!! actually Sgt the new check in marines as far as pvts and pfc's go, are really nasty. like during boot leave they forgot everything they learned in boot. im sure back when you were in it was super strict and disciplined. nowaday marines are nowhere near that level of discipline. its pretty sad.

Chumley
02-29-08, 12:38 PM
It was that way (almost) 20 years ago too...."new boots don't shine" rings true. Aside from a few sh1tbirds, most of those newbies will mature into the finest drinkin buddies you could ever ask for. Just keep training them....that's what Marines do....we ensure continuous training and take care of our own. Those newbies will make good NCO's someday.

SFi
C

SGT7477
02-29-08, 02:01 PM
LOL not in the slightest!! actually Sgt the new check in marines as far as pvts and pfc's go, are really nasty. like during boot leave they forgot everything they learned in boot. im sure back when you were in it was super strict and disciplined. nowaday marines are nowhere near that level of discipline. its pretty sad.
You bet it was very strict and it sounds like you have your work cut out for you are we losing our respect and discipline I hope not, btw I have respect for you ,you handled our posting back and forth very well, you will make an excellent CPL someday have a good day, Semper FI.:flag:

floflo
02-29-08, 02:43 PM
Rah Sgt. Thanks for that, I should be picking up soon. but definitely looking to mentor marines just like the ncos that actually give a d@mn about young devils. you def must've been a motivator back in the day. Much Respect, have a great weekend!

BlindZeal08
03-01-08, 11:49 AM
That's probably because todays Marines don't get the **** beat out of them. And rightly so, just because you got beat on alot, and you were a machine dosn't make you a better Marine.

SGT7477
03-01-08, 05:07 PM
That's probably because todays Marines don't get the **** beat out of them. And rightly so, just because you got beat on alot, and you were a machine dosn't make you a better Marine.
Who in the hell are you responding to anyway?:evilgrin:

JAG1990tn
03-01-08, 08:54 PM
Hope it all works out for you never hurts to shed a tear I lost my son to a car accident 10 years ago and the way I see it if you ever see a Marine shed a tear you best get the hell out of the way because he means business. The mental thing is hard to train for because you never know what to expect I seen some people in boot camp just lose it all, hell one guy even ran up to a dumpster and broke both of his arms.

Wow sounds like some pretty intense stuff.
Sorry to hear about your son.
I understand what you mean about training the mind. I mean as in I understand what you are saying. Of course I haven't went to recruit training, so I haven't experienced it yet. But in the midst I understand the point.
Thanks for the Info again.

I will overcome my obstacles. I want to be called a Marine. I am prepared to do my job and whatever it takes to EARN the title.

First and foremost, what is the most helpful advice you can give me.Once I get to RT I should do .Or be prepared to .
Again thanks for sharing your words with me.

SGT7477
03-01-08, 09:06 PM
The one thing I can tell you listen well, do things quickly and don't be afraid to volunteer. I really think you can earn that title you seem to have respect and willing to listen to us Marines which will get you far in life I don't sugar coat things which I know **** some poolees off like I told a few that can't take us Marines on this site they will never be able to tolerate the DI's, some talk Recon and haven't even earned the title of Marine, hell they could end up being a cook, We Don't Promise You A Rose Garden. Time to hit the rack, Carry On.

JAG1990tn
03-01-08, 09:14 PM
The one thing I can tell you listen well, do things quickly and don't be afraid to volunteer. I really think you can earn that title you seem to have respect and willing to listen to us Marines which will get you far in life I don't sugar coat things which I know **** some poolees off like I told a few that can't take us Marines on this site they will never be able to tolerate the DI's, some talk Recon and haven't even earned the title of Marine, hell they could end up being a cook, We Don't Promise You A Rose Garden. Time to hit the rack, Carry On.

Understood.
Thanks again for the info.
I understand what you mean about the other poolees. We had one in a poole function that set out because of a scrape on his leg..(weakness)
I fully understnd your advice. Thanks.
Sleep well Sgt7477

BlindZeal08
03-01-08, 11:58 PM
Who in the hell are you responding to anyway?:evilgrin:

FloFlo

HurricaneRJ
03-02-08, 06:04 AM
My survival tips for recruit training only goes as far, because 1st, 2nd, & 3rd Battalion train Recruits differently.

DIfferent squadbays, different methods, different everything.

One thing I had to learn quick was to scream. That's the most important one, but I'll be you'll forget by the time you hit the island. If you want it easy in boot camp, just do the simple **** they tell you. We did no thinking for oursleves, our D.I.'s had everything planned out for us, all we had to do was comply with the orders and everything was tight to the right.

Learn to work as a team, my platoon never fully got that down, only a few of us knew what are D.I.s wanted out of us, and we got all the **** done that needed to be done. While other recruits would just fall into a little huddle in the back of the squadbay joking around not doing a damn thing. It's get irritating at first, I won't lie, but you'll see the ****heads and the motivated recruits. You'll know who you can count on, I always hated when I had to help out a ****head, only because we all would get pitted because he decided not to make his rack, or he lost his gear, or because he doesn't know the proper hatch procedure. But my SDI said, that your only as strong as your weakest man. So make sure your weakest recruit is racked with a squad leader or guide. In my platoon, all the weak one were put with squadleaders and the guide.

Learn to get along with other people. When I first met my platoon, they were already a day ahead of me. Most of them were from New York, Philly, Boston, New Jersey, and the rest of us were GA, FL, and SC. I hated my platoon members from up north, they had this attitude that I couldn't stand. They swore up and down that they were the best in the world and us from the south wasn't ****.:p

But again you still have to work as a team, so I had to tolerate be treated like a dumbass, because they didn't think us from the south could actually read or write, or apply proper common skills. It was aggrivating at first, getting into arguments and fights (I remember having about 18 in my platoon). But in the end it was all worth it, we came together from being Booger platoon to being Honor Platoon. I guess the sand pit method my SDI was telling us about worked.

SPEED VOLUME AND INTENSITY.
Is what the drill instructors want 24/7. Let me tell you, no matter who you are, your not going to scream and run as fast as you can all the time. In Phase I, I was so damn demotivated and in a culture shock, I really didn't want to be there. I was like this.

"Why in the hell did I join up?"

"Get me the hell away from D.I. SSgt. Dobson!!"

Everyone will say that in there head, I did but a few letters from Kim and Dave set me straight, brought me back in focus on why I was there. After re-gaining focus, you'll start to see a change in yourself. You'll start putting out for your D.I. because they will acknowledge you when your doing a good job.

"Hey, Johnson. Whatever your doing, keep it up. I like it!!!!"

Then you'll be so damn pumped up and motivated from their energy that you'll do anything for them.

They don't expect the impossible from you, if they see you are not giving up, they will coach you and teach you. There is no room for quiting in the Marine Corps. America doesn't need no one who quits on himself. I hated getting quarterdecked at first, it was hard. Getting ****ed up because of someone elses mistakes. But the longer I was there, the harder I came back. Don't take the quarterdeck entirely as a punishment. That place makes you lean and mean. **** in II & III phase I was itching to get on the quarterdeck. I wanted to play with the D.I.

Drill Instructors

SDI- Your Senior Drill instructor is your daddy. He makes sure your taken care of, he also takes care of his junior D.I.'s Everything that goes wrong with the Platoon is his fault, everything that goes right goes to the Drill Instructors. Now that was one type of SDI

My SDI still had a green belts mentality.

Basically he was a killing machine with two pitbulls. He would unleash them on us, and when were crying, screaming, and pounding on the hatch for him to come save us, is when he realized that he was a black belt and that we needed him.

Heavy Hat- Your heavy is bascially the Marine that trains you, he is with you every single day. I will never forget my Heavy. 70% of the time he was sick, but yet he still PT'ed, still drilled us. Your going to respect your heavy. When your SDI is away, he will take care of you, he will pull the 3rd and 4th Hats off you. He will pull you aside and mentor you. Don't **** with your heavy either. He has more games than milton bradley.
Aww see there goes the memories.

3rd & 4th Hats- Bascially, they just hate you, they make everything as stressful as it can be. You'll be fixing up the house, and they'll come back and **** it up right after you left. Or they'll be in your face constantly running around yelling and screaming. They don't want you to eat, they don't want you to get your mail, and they don't want you to have free time. They'll do the most ****, to **** your whole life up. But it's their job, so don't take it personal. After the crucible you'll see them change into regular people and then you'll have huge respect for them.

Sand Pits - I swear, everywhere we went there was a Sand Pit near by. I've been to at least 8 pits and 6 in one hour.

My SDI only took the whole platoon to the pit and when he dd take us, it was hell on earth. No one could stop him, ahh boy just typing this made my skin crawl.

"Scream like your getting raped, because basically you are. I'm putting pain in your body and no one can stop me!":sick:

We screamed so loud that PMO was called and we had to stop because a lot of the officers housing was complaining of too much noise. That was kind of funny, but "That's okay 3020, I'm sure I can find something to do indoors." It never stops.

Ohh and ask a Recruit about a Scuz Brush. I need not go any further.

I'm out, about to PT and get some breakfast.

SGT7477
03-02-08, 08:12 AM
Btw the DI's don't hate you it's just a mind game all our DI's had tears in their eyes at graduation and our Senior was a real hard ass and he had the most tears I even met my senior in Okinawa and I can tell you he was a real down to earth person, it's a show boot someting you have to get use too you will find out things different in the fleet hell when I went to my first duty station in LeJeune they still tore up the barracks just like in boot camp I done the same as a SGT. some young Marines need a daily ass kicking to understand.

SGT7477
03-02-08, 08:14 AM
Understood.
Thanks again for the info.
I understand what you mean about the other poolees. We had one in a poole function that set out because of a scrape on his leg..(weakness)
I fully understnd your advice. Thanks.
Sleep well Sgt7477
You're welcome now get that title and make us proud.:flag:

floflo
03-03-08, 07:49 AM
FloFlo

FIRST of all. i may not be a sgt of marines, but i am a MARINE. you really have no place to make any comment of the subject i was discussing with a FELLOW MARINE. just FYI.

SGT7477
03-03-08, 08:04 AM
Flo what the hell is going on anyway,did all hell break loose,lol?

floflo
03-03-08, 08:08 AM
HAHA no this kid is trying to say, i'm guessing, that i apparently "had the $hit beat out of me?" thats why im talking bad about todays marines?! yeah, okay, NOT. i love when someone that has no idea what is going on tries to make commentary. its no better than a hippie talking about the iraq war... they just need a big cup of shut the f*** up. in the nicest sense possible.

SGT7477
03-03-08, 08:36 AM
Oh shoot that is too funny,whew you made my day,lmfao.

BlindZeal08
03-03-08, 11:11 AM
You were comparing the Marine Corps older type of Marine vs todays. I was merely commentating that todays don't get the **** beat out of them. That's probably why you see a difference.

floflo
03-03-08, 11:19 AM
It has nothing to do with that. It's not just physical discipline its mental too. If a child is bad some parents will spank them and then tell them why they did. but a parent that just hits a child for f*** of it its diff. that child is going to rebel. its the same with recruits! di's become the parent figure and how that di treats a recruit determines the kind of training and "discipline" they will receive. as far as what i was talking about was once the new marine graduates boot its up to them to hold onto what they learned or just turn into another s#it bag.

SGT7477
03-03-08, 11:59 AM
Hmm I would like to know how we are different?

RockSteady85
03-03-08, 12:30 PM
Ohh and ask a Recruit about a <u>Scuz</u> Scuzz Brush. I need not go any further.

I'm out, about to PT and get some breakfast.[/quote]

FTFY ;)

ohhh scuzz brushes! What memories you brought up with me, PFC. I actually brought my personal scuzz brush home as a momento, seriously. Am I the only one that did that, or is the post-op pain meds that made me that sick? :p

RockSteady85
03-03-08, 12:37 PM
Ohh and ask a Recruit about a <strikeout>Scuz</strikeout> Scuzz Brush. I need not go any further.

I'm out, about to PT and get some breakfast.
FTFY ;)

Ohhh scuzz brushes! What memories you brought up with me, PFC. I actually brought my personal scuzz brush home as a momento...seriously. Am I the only one that did that, or is it the post-op pain meds that made me that sick? :p

RockSteady85
03-03-08, 12:40 PM
Garrrr...read the 1330 message from yours truly. I tried to fix this, but have alas, failed. You could probably tell when I have taken my pain medication and have posted on here from when I have not LOL.

Anyone care to guess where I am at right now? LOL j/k ;)

SGT7477
03-03-08, 01:26 PM
I don't know what you mean by "keeping up with your trash." Does that mean your clothes? And also, I can't swim. Will i have to know how to before i leave, or do they teach you how to swim during RT?
Oh shoot I would hate to be you,lmfao.:evilgrin: :flag: :evilgrin:

floflo
03-03-08, 01:32 PM
Garrrr...read the 1330 message from yours truly. I tried to fix this, but have alas, failed. You could probably tell when I have taken my pain medication and have posted on here from when I have not LOL.

Anyone care to guess where I am at right now? LOL j/k

HAHA you must be on those TITANIC sized Ibuprofen pills medical loves to give out. or better yet my favorite remedy from them, CRUTCHES!! if ya gotta broken pinky let's hook up the recruit with CRUTCHES!! :usmc:

or your just takin advantage of the civilian life again and gettin into that green stuff :yes: :no:

RockSteady85
03-03-08, 01:49 PM
HAHA you must be on those TITANIC sized Ibuprofen pills medical loves to give out. or better yet my favorite remedy from them, CRUTCHES!! if ya gotta broken pinky let's hook up the recruit with CRUTCHES!!

or your just takin advantage of the civilian life again and gettin into that green stuff :yes: :no:
Nahhhh, I just had surgery on my knee and am on Percocet and Vicodin for the pain. Someone bought me a HUGE gherkin bottle of Captain Morgan's when I got back and I am staring it down right now. Ohh hthe possibilities LOL j/k :p

floflo
03-03-08, 01:51 PM
haha lucky!!! those perc's are the $hit.... holy cow.

RockSteady85
03-03-08, 01:54 PM
haha lucky!!! those perc's are the $hit.... holy cow.

Why yes, YES they are.

Pain? What is this pain you speak of? LOL :p

Hog Wild
03-20-08, 02:06 PM
How long are the runs at Boot camp, and how often are they? I run about 3 miles a day, but just wanted to know if they progressed the PT or just started you out going hard. Thanks for any info.

JSam
03-20-08, 02:55 PM
I believe the longest ones are five miles.
10 mile marches.
You March over 40 miles during the Crucible,though, I think.

gnarkill04
03-20-08, 03:08 PM
My survival tips for recruit training only goes as far, because 1st, 2nd, & 3rd Battalion train Recruits differently.

DIfferent squadbays, different methods, different everything.

What are some of the different methods 2nd battalion uses?

HABU
03-20-08, 04:25 PM
survival tip?.... give it your all....

jbourne224
03-20-08, 07:43 PM
ey,
I was curious if anyone could help me out here on this. This site has been very incitful for me so i wanted to thank you for that. I was curious, im realy pushing for recon and needed to know what exactly is looked for or does everyone qualify for it? For example, after bootcamp can anyone "try out" for recon or are you selected among a few by your DI? I am very in shape and a healthy kid, I was just curious. Also i piked a contract and there were about 12 jobs within that contract. I really wanted the m1a1 tank job or AAV crewman job, but among the contract there is also meteorologist and logisitics which i am not particularly fond of, so the question here is what are my chances of getting what i want here? thanks for all the help

HABU
03-20-08, 07:46 PM
ey,
I was curious if anyone could help me out here on this. This site has been very incitful for me so i wanted to thank you for that. I was curious, im realy pushing for recon and needed to know what exactly is looked for or does everyone qualify for it? For example, after bootcamp can anyone "try out" for recon or are you selected among a few by your DI? I am very in shape and a healthy kid, I was just curious. Also i piked a contract and there were about 12 jobs within that contract. I really wanted the m1a1 tank job or AAV crewman job, but among the contract there is also meteorologist and logisitics which i am not particularly fond of, so the question here is what are my chances of getting what i want here? thanks for all the help

i was in amtracs... i say if you want to see things be a field radio operator.....

TrevelyanInc
03-22-08, 08:59 PM
Surviving boot camp goes like this:

1. Have a good attitude. You are not "too good for this." There is no "Man, f*** this." Just do it.

2. Drink water. Not 12 canteens a day, that's impossible for some people. But enough. Being a heat case sucks.

3. Come fit. PCP is NOT a happy place. Pullups get you noticed in a positive way. That means better PFT scores and better pro/con marks from boot camp more than likely. Also, have good lower body flexibility. See above tirade about scuzzing to death.

4. Keep your eyes and ears open to EVERYTHING and keep your mouth (and everyone else's) shut. I swear to God if you say "SHUT UP!" enough you'll get a Meritorious Mast. Really. I've seen it happen.

5. Stay awake in your PMI's classes. Avoid the head at the range at all costs.

6. Learn how to properly speak to your superiors before saying ANYTHING.

7. Have fun with it! A wise man can live comfortably anywhere. I actually sort of missed boot camp at MCT sometimes.

SGT7477
03-23-08, 09:10 AM
2. water, I wish we could of drank half of that, that's one thing we didn't get much.

destroytocreate
03-23-08, 12:13 PM
Hey guys, this is a great thread. I am curious, what about "going #2". When is it possible to do that? I have read about learning how to hold it because you never get a chance to go, but I could imagine it would be alot harder to run or do really any other type of pt when you need to go to a toilet.

SGT7477
03-23-08, 01:58 PM
Let it drop it will find it's way to the ground.

Teufelhund0630
04-02-08, 11:58 PM
Staff Sergeant, I really appreciate you taking the time to post this information for all us Poolees. I learned a lot of what i think will be helpful tips for RT.

Reagan
04-11-08, 03:20 AM
This thread is HUGELY helpful. Many thanks to everyone sharing their knowledge in it. This'll come in handy for me.

But I do have one question I haven't been able to find an answer for even after using the Search function. Are you allowed to use the head after lights out in bootcamp? Like if you wake up at midnight and just seriously gotta bust a grumpy, are you allowed to get up to drown that fudge dragon?

floflo
04-11-08, 06:36 AM
Yes you are allowed to make a headcall after lights out. the firewatch on duty will probably allow 2 recruits out of their rack at a time. and the DI's actually encourage for you to use the head after lights go off and early before lights come on to get your trash taken care of like teeth getting properly burshed because of the rush you have to put up with anyway. its pretty much your oppurtunity to take initiative to take care of yourself so during the day you are not complaining you never get enough time to brush your teeth and stuff. :flag:

Semper Fi

floflo
04-11-08, 06:56 AM
Let it drop it will find it's way to the ground.

Hahaha. CLAP CLAP.... the most useful advice ever.

Switchfire
04-24-08, 07:13 PM
I hope your not serious lol

Just get a rutine going that you go after lights out or something lol

SGT7477
04-24-08, 09:07 PM
Hahaha. CLAP CLAP.... the most useful advice ever.
Flo where you been hiding?:flag:

floflo
04-25-08, 06:38 AM
Flo where you been hiding?:flag:

Hey Sgt, I was on the most amazing thing ever... LEAVE!! :) HAHA. I was actually just telling some people about the "let it drop, it'll find it's way to the ground" absolutely priceless :marine:

maverickmarine
04-25-08, 08:00 AM
That used to be the first place everyone rushed to once we were on square away time. You would just try to get in the head as fast as possible since there were only a couple crappers. Of course you won't initially really have much square away time on your own so going after lights out is the best option.

SGT7477
04-25-08, 09:01 AM
Hey Sgt, I was on the most amazing thing ever... LEAVE!! :) HAHA. I was actually just telling some people about the "let it drop, it'll find it's way to the ground" absolutely priceless :marine:
Leave was always fun I remember our CO would always tell us don't get in trouble on leave because it will be worse when you get back here,lol, did I listen hell no, Sgt Major Hernandez was he in 29 Palms in 1977 I had a damn good friend with the same last name would be the coolest thing if that was the same Marine?:flag:

floflo
04-25-08, 09:39 AM
Leave was always fun I remember our CO would always tell us don't get in trouble on leave because it will be worse when you get back here,lol, did I listen hell no, Sgt Major Hernandez was he in 29 Palms in 1977 I had a damn good friend with the same last name would be the coolest thing if that was the same Marine?:flag:

SgtMaj M. A. Hernandez is my Dad. :usmc: He retired from 30 years of service in '02 from 9th MARDIV Kansas City, MO. He was an 0311, if that helps any?

SGT7477
04-25-08, 11:13 AM
No that wouldn't be him the one I knew was an 0811, Semper FI.

paulaka
04-26-08, 09:16 AM
BULK HEAD, LINE RIGHT NOW!!! which is not immposible, trust me i know...oh yeah the so called infantry stuff they teach you forget that stuff, SOI, ITB,CHARLIE COMPANY,that where they make 03's!!!!

paulaka
04-26-08, 09:20 AM
one more thing dont say sir this recruits is thirsty its this recruit request permissionto hydrate just to get that out of theway that was sooooo annoying, WATER WATER WATER AND MORE WATER YOU GNA NEED IT!!!

SLAY BODIES!

KevinR90
04-26-08, 11:41 AM
I heard from a Marine out of boot camp for 2 weeks now that you don't want to go right to a pizza place or something once you graduate because your body won't be use to the greasy food and you won't even finish your first slice before haveing to crap your insides out.

Just thought I post some of his wisdom, though it's not really tips for boot camp.

Whitey
04-26-08, 07:30 PM
kevin you're right...but you'll do it and you'll have the squirts just like every other marine(i picked hardees, not pizza) the same with libbo sunday, the drill instructors warned us to stay away from alot of soda, candy and junk food but we didn't listen and well....there was a line to use the heads as usual

SGT-JOHN-ADDY
06-10-08, 03:01 PM
It Is The Same With Mre's For Me When We Would Go To The Field For 2-3 Weeks At A Time. I Would Come Out Of The Field And Have The Sh*ts Bad.

coltie52
07-01-08, 03:06 PM

Well you answered all of my questions except for an example of a typical day at Boot Camp. Would any body be able to give me an example of a typical day at Camp Pendleton during Boot Camp?
Thank You
Colten

JSam
07-01-08, 03:28 PM
*sigh*

Search.

coltie52
07-01-08, 11:54 PM
*sigh*

Search.
*sigh*
I did search and nothing came up for a typical day at Camp Pendleton.
:)

Zapablast05
07-02-08, 12:06 AM
This really answered questions for me. Just one thing, what's a grunt roll?

BHABIT
07-02-08, 01:59 AM
Jenelson

I'm "LMAO" as this gen would say...I'm glad my youngest that shipped 20082306 didn't see this. It might be cruel but the only advise I gave him was keep your mouth shut. What they don't know is every DI knows all the tricks and what's going on in their squadbay.

rkidd4
07-02-08, 10:13 PM
Im sorry what is Molly gear??? He said in pointer #8 he didnt know how well molly gear would clean...do we not have cantenes anymore?

Motorola07
07-02-08, 11:03 PM
Their was canteens in June/July 07 MCRDSD. Dont know about now. Sure they still do.

ChasingtheTitle
07-14-08, 02:21 AM
The tips were really helpful. Thank you.

ChasingtheTitle
07-14-08, 02:27 AM
Question. When do you recieve notification of which MOS they put you in out of the choices you made after originally signing your contract? Does that get assigned right after graduation or some time during the final days of RT?

MARTINEZ53
07-21-08, 05:19 PM
How much of an advantage would you say a poolee has going to bootcamp over just the average person who walked into the RS off the street?

Rains
07-22-08, 01:30 PM
Thank you Sir! Those tips helped alot.

rockkornfan
08-06-08, 05:57 PM
Those tips at the beginning are extremely helpful. One or two of those things I wouldn't have even thought about. Thank you for those tips.

DevilDogJAL
08-19-08, 09:16 PM
I have a huge tip that I haven't seen anywhere on this thread yet. Poolees, pay attention, because this is money.

Make friends with the platoon scribe. The scribe is the one who makes out the firewatch rosters. Me and the scribe became best friends....therefore, I almost never had firewatch.

If the scribe doesn't like you, you will have firewatch often. There was one kid in our platoon that got it literally every night for 13 weeks. And firewatch SUCKS, because it cuts into valuable sleep time.

First watch and last watch are the best. Most of our guys weren't asleep during the first hour of rack time, and if you get the last watch, you're already dressed and don't have to go through all the "put your right boot on...take your right boot off" games. And, for the love of God, DO NOT EVER go to sleep on firewatch. If you do and you're caught, your life will be a living hell.

Don't ever say "please" or "thank you".

If you have a girlfriend, break up with her. Your DI's WILL convince you that she is ****ing every guy in town. You'll be waking up at 4:30 on Saturday morning, and your senior DI will say something like "Man, Suzy probably hasn't even gone to bed yet". I didn't have a girlfriend while I was at PI, but a lot of guys did, and it really got to them.

ALWAYS lock your footlocker...nothing sucks worse than to come out of the head and see your **** thrown all over the squad bay.

Take a dump at night during free time. Don't try to take one during 30-second head calls during the day.

I used to think it was impossible to fit 4 people into a porto-potty. Not after Parris Island. You will be extremely close to a lot of peckers. Get rid of your homophobia.

Always stand up to speak to your DI's. If a class is being held in the squad bay and you're sitting down, stand up and at attention when speaking to any Marine.

Don't fall asleep during a class in the the RMF (I think that's what it's called). It's going to be hot and you're going to be tired. If you fall asleep, you will be called out by the Marine teaching the class. That's a real good way to pull firewatch. Also, drill instructors have a habit of sneaking in and sitting behind the platoon to watch and see who falls asleep.

KearneyJustinD
09-24-08, 08:32 PM
Personally that sounds like a good idea, getting ahead and all. Although that one tip that said it could get you into trouble...
I had a question in reference to that.
If a recruit were to wake up...say 10 minutes before he's supposed to, and started making his bunk, would said recruit get into trouble?

DevilDogJAL
09-24-08, 09:48 PM
Yes...don't get up until lights are called. You'll learn to sleep on top of your blanket instead of under it to minimize the mess.

KearneyJustinD
09-24-08, 10:02 PM
Yes...don't get up until lights are called. You'll learn to sleep on top of your blanket instead of under it to minimize the mess.

Alright, thank you.
I do that already 'cause I like it cold :)

GRAYerkA
09-27-08, 08:00 PM
I have a question about training not pertaining to boot camp. Im a poolee out of the missouri city office in Texas and i was wondering about SOI. My job is in Security Forces, and i would like to know if im going to MCT or ITB. I was told by my recruiter that i was most likely going to Infantry Training Battalion because my job is combat related. Can someone give me some definate input? and also would i still be considered a polg if im SF

PooleeCarson
09-28-08, 01:22 PM
Thanks for these tips Staff Sargeant jinelson this will really help me out once i get to Parris Island.

SGT7477
10-04-08, 07:18 PM
We could tell you everything we went through but to tell you the truth every DI is different, just go with the flow.

Rains
10-06-08, 01:50 PM
Thanks for all the tips on this thread, To be honest though, I really dont want to know more about recruit training other then what I already know, It will probibly make Boot Camp more fun if I dont know everything...
I will get all the "little suprises" .:confused:

dmellow45
11-09-08, 02:16 PM
another thing about eating is... in my platoon we were only allowd to use one hand... and some dumb recruits would be worried about putting syrup on their pancakes or whatever... eat the **** you can get down...

kwv108
11-09-08, 10:41 PM
Thanks a lot for the tips guys. I leave on January 20th for PI and I'm excited to go.

dmellow45
11-11-08, 08:51 PM
have fun ...!

Smitty Puffs
11-30-08, 06:46 PM
Keep your damn mouth shut. Squad leaders and guides are all chumps for the most part. Leadership positions in boot camp and SOI/MCT are overrated. All it does is get you in trouble. If you want good leadership training, just watch your boot camp guide and squad leaders and watch what they do wrong. You learn from leaders by watching what they do and making damn sure you dont make those mistakes when your placed in to that position.

Anyways, if they dont know your name, boot camp is a breeze.

kash
11-30-08, 06:57 PM
What is the firewatch guy for? Will he stop us while using the restroom during the night?? Also im June 15th and my recruiter says its hotter then hell so Im guessing no AC and sleep ontop of the sheets.

Zulu 36
11-30-08, 07:42 PM
What is the firewatch guy for? Will he stop us while using the restroom during the night?? Also im June 15th and my recruiter says its hotter then hell so Im guessing no AC and sleep ontop of the sheets.

OK, I'm feeling better BigAl.

Let's break this down logically: "Firewatch": Someone who: #1 - Watches fires and makes sure they don't go out, OR #2 - Watches FOR fires AND sounds the alarm in the event a fire breaks out.

In the 21st Century boot camp, there is no need for Firewatch #1, so, let us go with Firewatch #2. At one point in history, the firewatch did both jobs in winter-time.

The firewatch is also a security watch, and no, they don't stop you from going pee-pee in the middle of the night. The proper term is "head" not "restroom."

Now is a good time to start learning these little snippets of knowledge - such as terminology.

Zapablast05
12-01-08, 02:09 AM
I agree with Zulu 39 about the terminology. It goes a long way and if you don't get used to it in 13 weeks, it'll earn you a trip to the Dirt or Quarterdeck. It depends on your team of Drill Instructors if they want to take you to the Quarterdeck, but some Drill Instructors love playing with you in the Dirt.

Personally, I preferred the Quarterdeck than the Dirt because you don't get dust and debris kicked up while you're doing mountain climbers. I'd rather get slayed on the Quarterdeck if I had a choice, but you don't because that's how our Corps works.

Have fun!

MrGoldCal
12-28-08, 07:18 PM
I just copy pasted this into a word doc so I can save it, thank you very much for writing this nelson (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=2170)

Drewster
12-29-08, 05:10 PM
Use common sense. My DI said it all the time, its like people get to PI and lose all their common sense. Don't think things through so much, just do. Get use to the screaming and playing of games as quick as you can. Mark everything, i mean everything. Volunteer for stuff, trust me. It makes it go by a lot faster, and beats just standing there. And if you do good, your DI will begin to like you...just a little though, haha. If you make it to the rifle range, you'll be doing good. After that your DIs will actually start to talk to you, joke around a little bit, well mine did a little. Don't take that as its done though, we got hazed the worst during that time.

BioCHAZard
01-14-09, 09:36 AM
I want to think all the Marines who gave us poolees these tips, I'll keep them all to mind especially the shut the hell up part. Thank you for your help look fowared to learning more from all of you Marines before I head off to RT.

POOLE 10
01-22-09, 08:46 PM
Whats up i was just wondering how much do you guys run for PT everyday...jus wonderin so i know if i need to run more everyday?

Sgt0141USMC
01-22-09, 10:26 PM

If you weren't a Drill Instructor, you should have been, Jim.

Damn classy signature!

Hog Wild
01-26-09, 03:34 PM
I've seen a few Marines on here saying that they started recruit training with X number of recruits in boot and only ended up with Y number at graduation. Is this attrition because of recruits failing different aspects of recruit training and having to roll to another platoon and graduate later, or are these recruits getting kicked out? I guess I was just wanting to know what percentage of recruits just don't make it through at all for whatever reason. Thanks for any info.

Zulu 36
01-26-09, 03:53 PM
I've seen a few Marines on here saying that they started recruit training with X number of recruits in boot and only ended up with Y number at graduation. Is this attrition because of recruits failing different aspects of recruit training and having to roll to another platoon and graduate later, or are these recruits getting kicked out? I guess I was just wanting to know what percentage of recruits just don't make it through at all for whatever reason. Thanks for any info.

The different in numbers can be due to all of the above. My platoon started with about 75 - 78 and graduated 65. Of those 65, about 50 were originals.

We dropped recruits for injuries, illness, fat farm, motivation platoon, inability to adjust, emergency leave, just about every reason to drop. We also picked up people from the fat farm, moto, sickbay, etc. We even had one intra-series transfer of a recruit into our platoon.

When I went through, missing three training days (as a no-duty, bed rest, illness or injury, etc) was a cause for drop. Only one recruit I knew of escaped the three day rule. Me. I was bed rest sick with the flu for three days, but my drill instructors stuck up for me with the Series and Company Commander.

polizei
01-26-09, 04:40 PM
IIRC, the drop out rate is somewhere between 12-15% I think.

Hog Wild
01-26-09, 10:11 PM
We dropped recruits for injuries, illness, fat farm...

By fat farm are you talking about Physical Conditioning Platoon? Sorry, I'm trying to familiarize myself with military lingo.

JWG
01-26-09, 10:47 PM
By fat farm are you talking about Physical Conditioning Platoon? Sorry, I'm trying to familiarize myself with military lingo.

You got it. ;)

Zulu 36
01-27-09, 05:28 AM

Yep, the fat farm was PCP.

Motivation Platoon no longer exists. If regular boot camp was miserable, Moto Platoon was hell on earth. Every nasty thing regular recruits did, Moto people did triple and more. Moto platoon people began and ended every day covered head to toe in mud. All in the name of instilling some motivation into them. It was supposed to make one happy to be in a regular platoon. Sometimes it worked. Most times it was just a Senior DI's way of getting a good crack at someone before they got thrown out.

SGT7477
01-27-09, 10:01 AM
Yep, the fat farm was PCP.

Motivation Platoon no longer exists. If regular boot camp was miserable, Moto Platoon was hell on earth. Every nasty thing regular recruits did, Moto people did triple and more. Moto platoon people began and ended every day covered head to toe in mud. All in the name of instilling some motivation into them. It was supposed to make one happy to be in a regular platoon. Sometimes it worked. Most times it was just a Senior DI's way of getting a good crack at someone before they got thrown out.

They also had a lame platoon.:flag:

Zulu 36
01-27-09, 10:34 AM
They also had a lame platoon.:flag:

Yeah, that one was very similar to the present Med Rehab Platoon. It was kind of funny to watch all the privates with leg injuries try to march in step while on crutches.

killerinstinct
01-27-09, 10:53 AM
Yeah, that one was very similar to the present Med Rehab Platoon. It was kind of funny to watch all the privates with leg injuries try to march in step while on crutches.

STICKS and gimps gotta love em :marine:

RYDERKUR
01-27-09, 11:05 AM
STICKS and gimps gotta love em :marine:

LMAO. This reminds me, I forget where it was at, but an NCO was leading a platoon of us and there was a broke dick at the back of formation falling behind. All of a sudden we hear "Hey sticks, you better start crutching at mach Jesus." I thought that was one of the funniest things I've heard in the Marine Corps to this date. :usmc:

SGT7477
01-27-09, 05:53 PM

Very true, just glad never ended in that lame a** platoon.:flag:

rustyshacklefrd
02-02-09, 12:13 PM
I talked to a recruiter from the same station as mine and I was telling him how my wisdom teeth (well tooth, only one) were killing me and he said I could have them taken out down at Parris Island. Just wondering, does anyone here know the recovery time on getting teeth pulled? I'm afraid if it's longer than 3 days I might get dropped, but I don't really see how it could be longer than 3 days.

21 more days!!

polizei
02-02-09, 12:17 PM
If it's a wisdom tooth I would say forget it. I had all four of mine taken out, took me a week to "fully" recover. Though you're only really knocked out/drugged up for the first two days. Eating is impossible. I cannot see how you could go through bootcamp with that pain plus the pain of not eating and working out. Good luck though!

KevinR90
02-03-09, 02:20 PM
Well they do pull teeth in boot camp. So hopefully it doesn't happen to you. I didn't get mine pulled but several other guys in my platoon did. Usually they do all that during team week. You'll be bed rest for a couple days then light duty for a couple more days. All I can say is it looks like it sucks big time- especially in boot camp. Hopefully it doesn't happen to you.

Scottie0417
02-03-09, 02:28 PM
Well they do pull teeth in boot camp. So hopefully it doesn't happen to you. I didn't get mine pulled but several other guys in my platoon did. Usually they do all that during team week. You'll be bed rest for a couple days then light duty for a couple more days. All I can say is it looks like it sucks big time- especially in boot camp. Hopefully it doesn't happen to you.

I got mine pulled in boot. They didn't pull mine during Team Week, it was on like T-2 or T-3. Wasn't too fun

Drewster
02-03-09, 10:34 PM
I got my two bottom ones pulled on team week. Its not too bad. I recommend getting them pulled first though, before you go. What happened to me is I had one day of bed rest, and I think two days of light duty. All you can eat is soft foods, like cottage cheese and jello. I hated it. Not because it hurt or anything like that, because I was stuck in the rack watching everyone else do stuff. I kept getting out though and help people clean and what not. One of my friends didn't get all of his tooth out, so he had to get tweezers and pull the rest out himself. I recommend if you can do it, get it pulled before you leave. No big deal if you don't though.

rustyshacklefrd
02-04-09, 12:55 AM
Well I really didn't want to get mine pulled before boot camp really cause they give you painkillers and I didn't wanna pop or anything during a test and get booted. At the same time though, I would have a legitimate excuse why I've showed up for something. Anyways, I don't know what it was but the tooth started coming through and while it was making it's way through it was hurting like terribly, now it doesn't even hurt one bit. The tooth isn't all the way through or anything, just it no longer hurts. My guess is it was hurting while trying to get through the gum. Just a thought though.

mpellie
02-15-09, 04:32 PM
Im enlisting now,hopefully leaving for boot in September...I just have some Q's...
I was told i would be the tallest/oldest female in boot (i will be 24) and ill get picked on by the DI's because Im prior service...
Any advice...Im scared but excited...this would be a dream realized for me...having been raised by Uncle was a Recon Sniper in the Corps...thanks

Zulu 36
02-15-09, 06:17 PM
Im enlisting now,hopefully leaving for boot in September...I just have some Q's...
I was told i would be the tallest/oldest female in boot (i will be 24) and ill get picked on by the DI's because Im prior service...
Any advice...Im scared but excited...this would be a dream realized for me...having been raised by Uncle was a Recon Sniper in the Corps...thanks

Yeah, you probably will be picked on for all of the above. If you handle it like a grown-up, the worst will end after a short time. What was your prior service?

Also, your profile is a bit light on some details. You might want to fill it in a little more.

mpellie
02-15-09, 06:31 PM
im sorry...im a little rusty on how to fix my profile...I served 6 years total in the Army,2 active and 4 guard...but im much more confident when i went to basic for the Army..back when i was 17, I fubar'd everything..my recruiter left me hanging...so I feel a lil more confident now that im in shape and know what to expect (to an extent)...does anyone know how Parris Island is (weather wise) in september?

Matador11990
02-26-09, 02:24 AM
As for the educational requirements to enlist in the United States Marine Corps, I believe that you must have either a High School Diploma or a G.E.D. with a certain amount of college credits (I think 15).

jtbaron
03-07-09, 08:34 AM
mpellie, I was there from Jan to april of 2008 and I am stationed at camp lejeune. it can be very hor and the sand fleas are realy bad. The Drill Instrutors will tell you to hyrdate all the time. you want to do that. try to stay as clean as you can and remember there is always an to things.

mpellie
03-07-09, 01:16 PM
Okay...so they changed my ship date from September to March 23rd a lot closer than I expected...but Im good PT wise..not the best mind you but I can hold my own. Im scared like hell, but its been my dream to earn the title Marine...because anything worth having is worth working for...

jtbaron
03-07-09, 02:28 PM
its good to be scared. you will never forget this experenice. I did it at the age of 30. what is your mos?

mpellie
03-07-09, 06:55 PM
they (my recruiters) wont let me pick my MOS until I go down to MEPS..and I cant go to MEPS until a couple days before I ship...its like rush rush...better than hurry up and wait. I actually would like to be 4421/legal specialist..but who knows if ill get it. I used to be Motor T in the Guard and MP in the active Army...I just did an IST yesterday,my PT needs some work..

40 sec. flexed arm hang
65 crunches in 2 min.
13:38 1.5 miles

crappy...

jtbaron
03-08-09, 01:30 PM
just do one thing when you get to meps. as you know if you do not have paper work you wont get crap. don't go open contract and fight for what you want. also your pt will get better, just keep working on it. boot camp will put you through worse, but it will be worth it when you recieve the title at the end. I love doing this.

BRockwell
03-08-09, 02:32 PM
Thanks for the advice, Staff Sergeant. I've been concerned about this sort of stuff as well.

rodriguez35
08-08-09, 01:54 PM
best tips i ever heard. Thanks alot

USMCDFITTEN
09-18-09, 02:38 AM
This is probably some of the most helpful info I've gotten in all my time as a poolee...Thank you :thumbup:

Underoathed
10-23-09, 11:54 AM
This definitely helped to read, esspecially when leaving in 40 days for bootcamp. Any info on what to expect and what NOT to do is very appreciated.

ReyesJon89
10-28-09, 10:57 PM
THANKS, this is very helpful. I had a lot of questions to ask but most of them have been answered in just this thread alone. This is really helping me in getting prepared for 20091116(ship date). Thank you.

cellistcs
12-13-09, 09:38 PM
Reading this was helpful and brought back memories from some of the people I've seen enlist in the USMC. Thanks for the laughs, info and memories.

ImpatientPoolee
12-03-10, 04:47 PM
Ohh JiNelson, thank you Marine. I sincerely appreciate this. It's the little stuff that I get worked-up about.

Thank you good sir.

Languagelover23
12-08-10, 12:28 PM
Awesome thread, I'll be leaving before I know it and all of this is super helpful. Thanks Marines!

XenaWP
12-18-10, 06:18 AM
Such useful information! Thank you so much, Marines.

I ship in just over two weeks( :]!! :]!!), and have been wondering for quite some time about the odds of developing cellulitis? I get the gnarliest silver- dollar blisters... physical therapists say I have "soft skin". Awesome. Any advice on keeping your feet dry, and clear of infection? Will I have the opportunity to buy Moleskin padding? Would you recommend doubling up on socks? This may seem like a petty issue, but I can only expect the worst. I've had a few nightmares about being in the sick platoon. Any advice regarding blister care would be super helpful.

Thank you!! :]

emptyjarhead
12-19-10, 01:41 PM
I'd like to add to Xena's question if I might. I tend to get horrible blisters on my feet as well. A couple months ago our RSS took us on a 12 mile hike on pavement. It rained a good portion of the time and we got pretty miserable and wet. A day afterwards the balls of my feet were blistered and raw then the skin came off. Im wondering if I can look forward to this kind of thing happening in RT or is there a way to avoid it?

LaForestLK
02-06-11, 07:16 AM
I'll definitely be keeping all of this advice in my head.

surfer2513
02-07-11, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the post SSgt! I will definitely take the advice and use it when i ship out!

PooleeGewarges2
03-26-11, 10:22 PM
Thank you, Staff Sergeant, for the helpful survival tips. They were extremely interesting to read.:flag:

topgun305
01-04-12, 11:59 AM
If it's a wisdom tooth I would say forget it. I had all four of mine taken out, took me a week to "fully" recover. Though you're only really knocked out/drugged up for the first two days. Eating is impossible. I cannot see how you could go through bootcamp with that pain plus the pain of not eating and working out. Good luck though!

haha. I'm not sure why, but this cracked me up.

"It'll be impossible and you probably can't do it. Good luck though!"

:D too funny.

Maddcat7
01-10-12, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the great tips! I was worried about a lot of the stuff mentioned. I will be sure to read them many times before i leave for boot.

Miguel Lugo
03-12-12, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the great read, and the great advice. Will take into account.

kpouncey
05-30-12, 07:53 PM
All of this is legit,good stuff. I wish I had this before I left. Also, is there a way to change my Status? I am a Marine as of this past February. Thank you

Keinen15
12-13-12, 05:17 PM
First of all, Thank you Marines for sharing all your advice. I was wondering what happens if the D.I.'s do learn your name, or do you mean you should only refer to yourself as This Recruit and if you don't then your screwed? Thanks again for the advice!