PDA

View Full Version : Ex-fire chief nephew slain

thedrifter
08-18-06, 06:46 AM
Ex-fire chief nephew slain
BY OREN YANIV and LEO STANDORA
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
Friday, August 18th, 2006

The nephew of former FDNY Chief of Department Peter Hayden has been killed battling insurgents with his Marine unit in Iraq, his mother confirmed yesterday.

Queens-born Michael Glover, 28, was mortally injured in a firefight Wednesday outside the insurgent hotbed of Fallujah, 35 miles west of Baghdad.

"I'm very proud of him," Glover's mom, Margaret, said. "He wanted to do this, to go over there, for himself and for the country." Hayden, who retired from the Fire Department in June, was traveling and couldn't be reached for comment.

Margaret Glover said her son died on his first tour of duty in Iraq, which was to end Oct. 28.

"I didn't allow myself to focus on anything else but the fact that my son would be home for Thanksgiving and we'll have dinner with the big family," she said wistfully.

Glover was born and raised in Far Rockaway, where he attended Xavier High School.

The heartbroken mother said Glover worked summers as a lifeguard, played the guitar and "always found a way to make people laugh." His mom said he graduated with honors from Albany State University and interrupted his law studies at Pace University to join the Marines. "He said he had thought about joining all along because it was something he wanted to do . . . to fight for his country. He was ready to go," she said.

A cousin, Rita Martin, shook her head and said sadly, "He just had more friends than anyone can count."

Funeral arrangements were incomplete last night.

Ellie