PDA

View Full Version : Review Finds Fewer Vietnam Veterans With Post-Traumatic Stress

fontman
08-18-06, 06:31 AM
Review Finds Fewer Vietnam Veterans With Post-Traumatic Stress
By BENEDICT CAREY
The New York Times
Aug. 18, 2006

Far fewer Vietnam veterans suffered from post-traumatic stress as a result of their wartime service than previously thought, researchers are reporting today, in a finding that could have lasting consequences for the understanding of combat stress, as well as for the estimates of the mental health fallout from the Iraq war.

The report, published in the journal Science and viewed by experts as authoritative, found that 18.7 percent of Vietnam veterans developed a diagnosable stress disorder that could be linked to a war event at some point in their lives, well under the previous benchmark number of 30.9 percent. And while the earlier analysis found that for 15.2 percent of the veterans the symptoms continued to be disabling at the time they were examined, the new study put that figure at 9.1 percent.

The findings come at a time of simmering debate over the emotional effects of service in Iraq which, with its lack of a conventional front echoes the Vietnam experience more than it does other wars. Politicians have clashed over the Department of Veterans Affairs' budget, including its $3 billion annual bill for mental health, in part because of a suspicion that the estimated rates of post-traumatic stress, based on Vietnam veterans, were too high. Last year, the department commissioned a review of combat stress disability claims for evidence of exaggeration.

The debate has angered some trauma researchers, and infuriated veterans' groups who say that as it is, mental health services too often fall short.

"I'd like to think that this study would help settle the debate, and that both sides would see that this was good science," said the report's lead author, Dr. Bruce Dohrenwend, a psychiatric researcher at Columbia University and the New York State Psychiatric Institute.

"It's true we found a significant reduction in the lifetime prevalence of these disorders," Dr. Dohrenwend said, "but on the other hand we also found that more than 9 percent had current pathology, which is a substantial number of people," or about a quarter-million of the Americans deployed in Vietnam.

Richard McNally, a psychologist at Harvard who is skeptical of the earlier estimate, agreed, saying that the new study confirmed his and others' suspicions. "It knocks the 30 percent number out of the box," Dr. McNally said.

But, he added, the findings "should not be used as a justification for short-changing services that are needed to help veterans" of Iraq or Vietnam.

Bobby Muller, president of Vietnam Veterans for America in Washington, who was paralyzed from the chest down after taking a bullet in Vietnam, said that focusing only on the reduced numbers in the new study threatened to undermine financing for veterans' services and appreciation for the seriousness of combat-related disorders.

"The fact is," Mr. Muller said, "that veterans suffering mental health problems have been under assault, the diagnosis has been continuously attacked in terms of its legitimacy, funding has not been ramped up to handle these problems for vets returning from Iraq, and now people will see this study and say, 'Oh look, the problem is not as bad as we thought it was.' " He added, "This is absolutely the last thing we need."

A spokeswoman for the Veterans Affairs department said it had no comment on the study or on whether it would have any affect on mental health benefits for veterans. The department would need time to evaluate the findings, the spokeswoman said.

The new report is an analysis of a landmark 1988 study in which researchers tracked down 1,200 Vietnam veterans around the country and interviewed them, some in-depth, carefully checking for symptoms of psychological distress, like nightmares, flashbacks and hair-trigger irritability. The researchers in that study concluded that 15.2 percent of the veterans qualified for a diagnosis of post-traumatic stress, and about twice that number, 30.9 percent, did so at some point in their lives, sometimes years after the war.

But military historians soon began to question the numbers. The 30 percent estimate seemed high, they argued, given that 15 percent of Americans deployed to Vietnam served in combat roles.

Later studies raised questions about whether some veterans were suffering traumatic reactions to war-related events, or to other, unrelated factors.

The new analysis took these concerns into account, and corrected for them. The researchers pored over data from the original 1988 study, and checked it against extensive military records and records of exposure to combat. They found that many servicemen in noncombat roles were exposed to considerable horrors, from shelling and ambushes to caring for the wounded, and that very few exaggerated their experiences.

But a number of veterans whose difficulties were diagnosed as post-traumatic disorder developed it before serving in the war. Others developed symptoms that could not be linked to any specific traumatic event - a crucial element in the diagnosis. And there were some veterans who exhibited symptoms, like nightmares, that were not severe enough to be disabling.

Correcting for these cases lowered the number of veterans who at some point in their lives suffered from the disorder to fewer than one in five and the number who currently suffered from post-traumatic stress to about one in 10. The more exposure troops had had to combat, the higher their risk of the disorder, the study found.

Dr. Matthew J. Friedman, executive director of the National Center for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder for the Department of Veterans Affairs, said the new study should establish beyond question that post-traumatic stress disorder is both a common and legitimate diagnosis in returning soldiers. "We can quibble about the numbers," he said, "but the point is that it's a lot of people," and the potential demand on services is substantial. Some veterans who were told of the findings yesterday said they doubted that the methodology used in the study took into account the experience of many former soldiers. The analysis defined combat exposure by objective measures that may have missed the harrowing experiences people had while serving and the private, subjective feelings of helplessness that followed.The most important figure in the study, most agreed, was the rate of chronic mental suffering. "War is not healthy for children, and what this shows is how unhealthy it is, and who has to pay for the lifelong consequences of that," said Michael Gaffney, a lawyer in Washington who served in an artillery unit in Vietnam in 1968 and 1969. "And the meat grinder is still operating, in Iraq."

fontman
08-18-06, 07:02 AM
Study revisits stress disorder in Vietnam veterans
ASSOCIATED PRESS
August 17, 2006

WASHINGTON - A widely quoted estimate that almost one in three Vietnam veterans developed post-traumatic stress disorder was too high, says a re-analysis that puts the toll closer to one in five.

Post-traumatic stress disorder now is understood to be triggered by a variety of traumatic experiences, not just combat, but medical authorities first accepted it as a psychiatric condition in 1980 at the urging of Vietnam veterans.

Then came the controversy over its prevalence. In the late 1980s, two government-funded studies issued vastly different estimates.

A study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggested that 14.7 percent of veterans developed the disorder after serving in Vietnam and that 2.2 percent still had it at that time.

A second, the National Vietnam Veterans Readjustment Study, estimated that 30.9 percent of the veterans had developed the disorder and 15.2 percent of them were suffering it over a decade after the war.

Columbia University scientists took another look at that second study, using more precise symptom definitions, among other things. Their work, reported in Friday's edition of the journal Science, showed that 18.7 percent of Vietnam veterans had developed the disorder and 9.1 percent were suffering it by the end of the 1980s.

Whatever the actual numbers, the researchers said it is clear that the more combat exposure for a veteran, the greater the likelihood of the disorder.

Today, veterans from the Iraq war are supposed to be screened for the disorder and other mental health problems. Studies published this year suggest that between 11 percent and 17 percent of those soldiers have had symptoms of post-traumatic stress upon their return.

MillRatUSMC
08-18-06, 07:45 AM
Do we trust the word coming from Columbia University scientists?
How do you adjust numbers?
Many have chosen to end their own life...
Did they adjust these numbers on those suffering from PTSD?
Surely the Columbia University scientists did not do this to aid today's and yesterday's military.

Who Speaks for the DEAD?

I see a "WALL" were images are reflected
From the names of those that went and met their fate.

They had no choice or deferment from their FATE
When at this Nation bidding they went to their fate.

In place of those that had a deferment
Or excuses from their fate.
So who speaks for the DEAD at this late date?

No one as most want to forgive and forget
I'm sorry, "I just can't do that just yet...
You can't adjust the DEAD...there in Vietnam and by their own hand...

ggyoung
08-20-06, 06:10 PM
The VA paid for this study I bet.

iamcloudlander
08-26-06, 02:29 AM
As I write this I know that I am about to become a villian on this site, but, I feel that I must. I feel that some of the troops that have been diagnosed with PTSD and given a 100% disability with a pension check for life don't deserve it and are hurting the ones that really suffer from this disease. I personally know of at least 3 who are fakers.
One of them never made it into country and used the fact that he had to send so many men into combat and some were killed that he now has nightmares about it. BUT as soon as he got the disability and checks he had a miraculous recovery and has said nothing about having any problems since. The other two must have had the same cure as he because they are fine now. A lot of the bums we see standing on freeway exits with a sign on their chests extolling them to be Viet Nam vets begging money are, in, my opinion fakes also. I am not saying that PTSD does not exist just that there are those that exploit it for their own gain. The most vocal group about how widespread this disease has become are the psycologists as they are paid handsomely for their services to try and cure anyone that says they have PTSD. I at times do have some pretty hairy nightmares about what I seen and did in Viet Nam. But they have lightened up as Father Time works his magic and they don't come as frequently as they used to. I have never been to any doctors taken any medications or tried to get something for nothing. I have been to a couple of meetings at the local Viet Nam Vets
counseling sessions but couldn't take it as some of the stories told there seemed a little far fetched to me to be completely true. embellished would be a good word for some of the stories (not out right lies). I saw a lot of combat in Viet Nam especially during TET of '68 and spent a lot of time at the NSA hospital helping out as much as I could. The doctors and corpsman after the horrors they saw and things they had to do in the name of medicene should all have PTSD I would.
I am sorry if I have piqued anyones feelings but I have felt this way for a long time.