PDA

View Full Version : what is an RCT?

mucho
08-16-06, 09:56 AM
so everyone knows that RCT means Regimental Combat Team, but exactly is that? I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this... I've been on a MEU before so I know exactly what a MEU is...but nobody I know can tell me what AN RCT really is besides what it stands for.

ERR!

jryanjack
08-16-06, 11:35 AM
I believe that an RCT is the ground protion of a MEB - Marine Expeditionary Brigade, same as a BLT is the ground portion of a MEU. Typically an infantry regiment with supporting tanks, artillery, etc.

MillRatUSMC
08-16-06, 12:59 PM
Marine Expeditionary Brigade

The MEB is a mid-sized MAGTF that provides combatant commanders with an extremely flexi- ble expeditionary force. Commanded by a general officer, a MEB is normally built around a reinforced infantry regiment. Its ACE consists of a Marine aircraft group with fixed- and rotary- wing squadrons. The CSSE is a brigade service support group (BSSG) organized to provide the full spectrum of CSS to the MEB. As an expedi- tionary force, the MEB is capable of rapid deploy- ment and employment via amphibious shipping, strategic airlift and/or sealift, marrying with mari- time or geographical prepositioning force assets, or any combination thereof. The MEB is a com- plete fighting force. It is a MAGTF that has been task-organized for the mission and is capable of self-sustainment for 30 days. It can function alone, as a logical follow-on force to the MEU, as part of a joint task force, or as the lead element of a MEF.
My note;
Saw a web page, where a Expeditionary Brigade (MEB) was made up of two Marine Regiments, so the above might not always be the case.

Marine Expeditionary Unit

The MEU is task-organized normally around a battalion landing team, reinforced helicopter squadron, and a MEU service support group (MSSG). Capable of limited combat operations, it provides an immediate reaction capability for crisis situations.

mucho
08-16-06, 01:03 PM
so the difference is that a MEU is based around a battalion and a MEB is based around a regiment?

mucho
08-16-06, 01:48 PM
now i am totally confused.. does the army have AEB's??? and with RCT-5.... I know for a fact that 1/5 2/5 and 3/5 have been nowhere near eachother for awhile... ecept for replacing one another...

jryanjack
08-16-06, 03:40 PM
I have no idea what the army has - however is RCT-5 currently assigned to an active deployed MEB?

fontman
08-16-06, 05:49 PM
The U.S. Army had RCTs during WWII; I don't know about nowadays...

;)

Kegler300
08-16-06, 08:36 PM
RCT also means Reserve Counterpart Training.