PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever met a Marine that wasn't liked by his comrades? (to Marines obviously)

Achped
08-15-06, 07:27 PM
Have you guys ever just "not liked" a fellow Marine? I can understand if he was a douche bag or a jerk or whatever, but have any of you had a member of your platoon that you were just like "Ugh, this guy's so annoying"? I'm not talking about Boot alone, but throughout your entire time in the Corps. I mean, you know how in life there are just some people who aren't mean, aren't obnoxious or overly stupid, they can just be annoying to be around. (A certain high-pitched voice Asian kid at my high school comes to mind.) Has this ever happened to you with a fellow Marine?

If you did, would you still trust him with your life? Have him trust his with you? I mean, is there that "Oh man, I don't want this guy on the line next to me." thing going on?

I'm just trying to get an understanding about the comraderie among Marines. I know I'll never fully understand till I am one, but I'm trying ;)

JWG
08-15-06, 08:01 PM
I don't want to make my answer as credible or taken to heart as the Marines who will answer.. but Marines tell me, in the Corps there is that 10% that pass through who are not "True Marines."

Whatever be your defining point for that.. just look at the some of the liberal politicans.. some of them were Marines, many who served in Nam.

Motivated,

-Jon :iwo:

Achped
08-15-06, 08:16 PM
Well, that's kind of why I made this thread. I get lots of trash talk for stuff like how I "own evil guns" and how I support going to *gasp* war to defend our country from terrorists.

The Corps is full of people who would tend to agree with me, right?

His_angel
08-15-06, 09:20 PM
I'm a Marine but I'm also still human. Yes. There are Marines I don't like. I'm sure there are Marines who don't and didn't like me. At least 3 come to mind there. Did I trust them personally. Some, no. Did I trust them enough to do what they were supposed to do? Yes.

Angel

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-15-06, 11:08 PM
There were plenty of Marines I didn't like. Anytime you have a large group of people some will not get along. However, I would trust most of them totally if I needed to. However, there were a few that I wouldn't trust in a combat situation, and some of those were people that I personally liked. It is a small number, but yes there are Marines that fit into that group, it would be asinine to pretend that every Marine is what you think a Marine should be.

That said, I don't think politics plays any part in the issue. Are there Marines that don't support the war in Iraq? You bet there are. And, since they're the ones getting shot at, I won't dare say they're wrong to have that opinion. However, they... like all good Marines know their opinion does not matter in the slightest. They receive an order, say Aye Aye and carry it out. As long as they're willing to do that, I don't care what they think on a personal level.

jryanjack
08-16-06, 11:50 AM
I agree with the other Marine who responded - however, let me take it one step further. While all Marines are Marines and have earned the title and all of that, but we are also people. You will get along with some Marines better than others for all kinds of reasons, and some Marines you will not get along with. And there is no problem whatsoever with that. I have/had good friends who were outstanding Marines, and I have/had good friends who were not good Marines.

Marines do not always get along with each other, and often will fight amongst themselves, however, what sets us a part is while it is ok for two indivudual Marines to fight each other, or 2 units to fight each other, if you introduce a non-Marine (read civilian, army puke, squidly, fly boy, etc) then our Marine to Marine differences are put aside and then you can stand the f by.

Marine84
08-17-06, 08:02 PM
Yeah........... you find 'em everywhere but one thing the Corps taught me was tolerance - you learn to sleep (somehow) when you have somebody on the bunk below you that grinds her teeth in her sleep and WILL NOT wear the thing the dentist gave her to wear at night because it makes her gag!?!?!?!?!? Liked her a lot but that teeth grindin' thing.............

The ones that you don't like, you just stay away from but be prepared to cover their rear if you ever have to.

chafas2531
08-21-06, 12:23 AM
Matt. As other Marines have stated, we are all human beings and will always have to confront this and ourselves. I may not like other Marines but I respect them. And it seems so strange when you come face to face with another Marine it seems like you build a bond with him. I think that is respect. My advice is to treat other Marines the way that you would want to be treated. Shalom!
A Heart 'o Texas Marine:marine:
ben

LEADEROFMARINES
08-21-06, 02:32 PM
What a topic! lol Yes I'm sure all Marines can agree we have that 10% out there who get on our last nerves. Pont of the matter is that I don't care what that Marines does as long as he's ready to lay down his life to defend his country. As long as he gives 110% percent into returning fire when he's covering his fellow leathernecks six, he can do whatever he likes. That's what makes my beloved Corp so great! We come from all different kinds of backgrounds, but we're forged into one big old melting pot to make up what being a United States Marine is all about. We set the standard for the "American Breed!" OORAH!:iwo:

iamcloudlander
08-22-06, 01:46 AM
I realize that I am late in posting this but I have ran into Marines (Mos's are sort of forgotten after seperation) and it has been my experience that we are instantly bonded and have so much to talk about. As all Marines know the bad times are forgotten and seldom talked about but no Marine ever forgets the good times and can talk for hours on these. I to had many fellow Marines that I could not stand for a variety of reasons but I have ran into a couple since getting out and you know they are now good friends of mine. In Bakersfield Ca there is a group of Marines (old dudes like me) we gather at a local coffee house frequently and boy do the sea stories flow LOL. So Poolies don't think that all Marines,since we are first human, that you will like everyone you meet in the Corps but someday you to will have the pleasure of running across these same people and you just might be as surprised as I was how really nice people they are.I am including both Male and Female Marines in these meetings.