PDA

View Full Version : Football

hellsangel1928
08-15-06, 06:09 PM
At my recruiting station we do warrior training on a weekly basis. These warrior trainings would interfere with football practice so I got a letter from my recruiter saying that I could miss once a week to attend wt. The coaches gave me a choice between playing football and attending warrior training. I chose to go to wt instead of play my senior year of football. Does anyone else think that this is bullcrap or is it just me?

poolarnold
08-15-06, 07:12 PM
Bro im telling you right now PLAY FOOTBALL you can do thta stuff after because im doin the same thing right now i wasnt sure but as soon as i stepped on the field the first day of doubles.....i realized how much i love the game an i would miss it plus my senior year bro play im tellin you you'll wanna smack yourself if you dont think of everything you've gone through with the guys on your team for now atleast they are your brothers you have enough time to train an prepare for bootcamp because playign football will teach you a lot about yourself an how well you work with a team and it will prepare you for what is to come......take my advice and play bro

hawks
08-15-06, 11:02 PM
WT will be around in 4 months, high school football wont be.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-15-06, 11:21 PM
No doubt, the coach was correct. If you don't put the time in with the team 100% of the time, you shouldn't be welcomed on the field. I see it as being like a Marine wanting to skip one day of training each week to prepare for their next phase in life... it isn't going to happen.

The decision is yours, but if you pick non-required training with a recruiter once a week over playing football, I think you made the wrong decision. Just the physical conditioning of football practice is enough reason to pick it over what the recruiter is doing with you. I don't know about you, but we practiced Monday-Thursday and Saturday with the game on Friday night. Six days of activity beats one just about any way I can do the math.

fraser
08-16-06, 12:18 AM
i agree with everyone else you should play

WannabeDevildog
08-16-06, 12:43 AM
Absolutely. You should definately play. There might already be things that you missed out on in school that you regret. Football shouldn't be one of 'em. I never played high school ball just because I didn't like most of the people on the team. I wasn't a big "jock" (sorry if the term offends anyone), but I was pretty good at the game. I decided not to play and I've regreted it ever since. PLAY WHILE YOU CAN!! IT'LL BE ALL BUSINESS WHEN YOU GET TO MCRD.:evilgrin:

hrscowboy
08-16-06, 11:26 AM
I would have went to WT to heck with the school football team course i never liked football or highschool anyway but loved ridin them bulls in the rodeo's..

ROHO
08-16-06, 11:48 AM
PLAY FOOTBALL!!!, take it from an old fart. I didn't play my senior year, I thought work was more important. I have regretted that decision for the last 23 years!!!. Don"t make the same mistake I did. PLAY FOOTBALL!!!!

JWG
08-16-06, 02:18 PM
Another thing to take into consideration is that High School Football ain't the same as it was back in the "old day."

Today you have way too many coaches who act and treat their kids like their Pro veterans.

Alot of times, it's more for the parents and the school (fundraising) than it is for the kids anymore.

Just what I notice here.. and alot of other places.. around you it may be different, but I highly doubt it. Of course, I've been wrong many times before.

-Jon :iwo:

Young Marine
08-16-06, 02:30 PM
I would say stick with your football program its your last year, and you can't do it again. Don't make a decision that you will regret.

STA0311
08-16-06, 04:48 PM
I would stick with football too being as WARRIOR TRAINING is NOT mandatory. I remember running those things. All it was, was a thrash session for us to kill the kids and then teach them some of the basics. But remember, you are in HS still and NOT a Marine yet, therefore the Marines dont run your life yet.
I would be very tactful when presenting your decision to whomever...coach or recruiter. You have plenty of time to be told when where how etc...have some fun with the ball for now!

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-16-06, 10:08 PM
JWG, that isn't anything new... at least around here. Read the book (the movie is OK, but not as good) Friday Night Lights. I would doubt that many people go through what the kids did in that book, but it isn't a fairy tale. It some parts of our country, high school football is like religion, only more important to some people. But then, I liked it being that way. We knew we brought in the money for every other athletic team, and that was fine. If we had a bad game there would be talk about it on the radio and in the newspapers. It is what we expected, and just another part of the game to love. Of course, if someone doesn't like that type of pressure or environment, they shouldn't play. No matter what some people think, it is just a game, and it is supposed to be fun.

JWG
08-16-06, 10:11 PM
JWG, that isn't anything new... at least around here. Read the book (the movie is OK, but not as good) Friday Night Lights. I would doubt that many people go through what the kids did in that book, but it isn't a fairy tale. It some parts of our country, high school football is like religion, only more important to some people. But then, I liked it being that way. We knew we brought in the money for every other athletic team, and that was fine. If we had a bad game there would be talk about it on the radio and in the newspapers. It is what we expected, and just another part of the game to love. Of course, if someone doesn't like that type of pressure or environment, they shouldn't play. No matter what some people think, it is just a game, and it is supposed to be fun.

Agreed, minus the radio and tv broadcasts.. our town is like that, as well.

Awesome if you like football! :beer:

-Jon :iwo:

WannabeDevildog
08-17-06, 12:38 AM

Absolutely, football should just be for fun, but like you said in my neck of the woods, football is everything. I went to Grantsville High, which is about 40 miles west of Salt Lake. Out in the middle of the friggin desert. Anyway, in such a small town, all there was to do was go to the games. They made a HUGE deal about it. Especially homecoming, regionals, and state.