PDA

View Full Version : Let's follow Okinawa's example and flourish with Marine buildup

thedrifter
08-14-06, 06:24 PM
Article published Aug 15, 2006
Let's follow Okinawa's example and flourish with Marine buildup
By Ken Haga

In regards to the relocation of 8,000 Marines to Guam, I advise let's listen and learn.

I have been following the stories on the military realignment and I think it's time to voice my opinion. I am from Japan, but many years ago made Guam my home, which I love and will never leave.

Guam started talking about tremendous opportunities if we take advantage of the biggest movement that will happen on Guam and to her people, but is it true? It may happen to select industries, such as construction and real estate. However, the majority of our people will not benefit unless they get involved with this project.

The U.S. military will spend $4 billion for the relocation of Marines and the Japanese government announced they would support the move in the amount of $6.3 billion, which equates to 59 percent of total expenses. According to both countries, it was confirmed that the U.S. government would allocate their finances to needed infrastructure to support the number of military. In other words, we cannot rely on their federal dollars for spending on non-military projects.

So my next question is, what about the money from the Japanese government? I'm pleading with all who call Guam home to please wake up and face reality.

I recently went to Okinawa to see how local residents maintained a balance between their life and that of the U.S. military. I was curious if they had any problems that Guam could potentially experience. I have to say that I was shocked to see Okinawa's infrastructure! It was the same on the outside of military fences as it was on the inside. Residents of Okinawa were enjoying a well-equipped and functional infrastructure which included modern water and sewer systems, hospitals, schools, public facilities -- just to name a few. They do not experience prolonged power outages or low to no water even after a natural disaster. This is not to mention there is upward of 6 million tourists who visit Okinawa in a given year and the numbers are climbing.

We, the people of Guam, can only imagine -- but why should we?

I can't think of a reason why the entire island of Guam can't benefit greatly from this realignment. Guam has had too many missed opportunities. Let's not add this one to the list. We have a government willing, ready and eager to assist us.

I want to remind the people of Guam that Okinawa also faced a similar situation in 1972 when it was given back to Japan. They knew that in order to have sustainability it would be crucial to have vision during the negotiation process. Today, the people of Okinawa have healthy welcoming communities, not because they stood on the sidelines, but because they got involved, voiced their concerns and asked. Don't mistake this as a handout, but see it as a stepping stone to securing Guam's future.

But these changes will not be made unless we have strong community support and authentic leadership not afraid to face the challenge. Leadership that will stay focused. This will be history in the making and our time is now.

Ellie