PDA

View Full Version : Letters make a difference

thedrifter
08-14-06, 06:57 AM
Monday, August 14, 2006
Letters make a difference
By GORDON DILLOW
THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

Q: Do Marines and soldiers in Iraq get a lot of letters from strangers back home? Do they appreciate them?

A: Marines in Iraq get tons of letters and packages – literally. In one six-month period the 1st Marine Division delivered almost 5,000 tons of mail to Marines in Iraq. It requires a huge logistical effort to deliver it all – although, as Lt. Col. Drew Doolin of Marine Combat Logistics Battalion 7 told me, "Mail is one thing we never mind carrying."

The Marines certainly appreciate the letters, even the ones from complete strangers. Almost every chow hall and company area has a wall display of letters, many of them from school kids.

The letters run the gamut. For example, here are two that were taped to the wall at the Marine 3rd Civil Affairs Group Detachment 1 headquarters in Al Asad:

"You Rock, Soldiers!" said one from a young girl. "We appreciate what you're doing for America, and us children. Hope you don't get shot and live. Sincerely, Ashley C."

And then there was this one:

"Dear Soldier," it said. "I hope you are fighting as best you can. If you don't like our president I agree with you, but you are extremely brave to be in the war. I live in Long Beach, California, and go to elementary school in the 4th grade. I hope you and your troop come home soon. The Iraqis deserve to win the war. Praying for you, Austin F."

That one left the CAG Marines scratching their heads.

"I wonder which Iraqis he's talking about?" said Gunnery Sgt. Erik Duane of Westminster.

Q: You aren't a soldier, so why are you wearing military equipment in the photo? You look like a dork.

A: Embedded reporters with the Marines in Iraq are required to provide their own personal protective equipment – flak jacket, helmet and so on. At the discretion of the local commander they can also be required to wear that equipment wherever the Marines do – which is everywhere "outside the wire" of the large secured U.S. bases. And yes, when worn by an aging, paunchy civilian like me, the military gear does project a certain dorklike effect.

CONTACT US: Register columnist Gordon Dillow recently returned from his third trip to Iraq as an embedded reporter with U.S. Marines. This is one in a series of Q&A's with Register readers about the situation in the war zone. Have a question about Iraq? Contact Dillow at 714-796-7953 or GLDillow@aol.com Wednesday: Dillow's Iraq column series continues

Ellie