PDA

View Full Version : Delayed entry pogram

karkrazy1243553
08-13-06, 10:31 PM
Hello I would like to ask a question. If Iam in the delayed entry program and i dont want to leave on the date they set for me can i choose when to leave? i joines DEPs in july and they want me to leave in september. I would like a couple more months to prepare! please help

RomanNose
08-14-06, 01:57 AM
Ok this is the way I understand it, if you enlisted into the DEP at MEPS, and you have a ship date and everything, the Marine Service Counselors and recruiters want you to leave on the ship date they set for you, However, you can be in the DEP for up to a year, now sometimes people will tell you that being in the DEP for a year is really for seniors that have not graduated yet, not true I might add. In my opinion its always good to get prepared for bootcamp in advance because I'm sure it is really tough, but if you can already pass the IST I would just go ahead and leave, you will get better in bootcamp. I can't pass the IST yet and I have until Oct to pass it and if I don't I'm sure they are going to give me hell about it and move my ship date back, but because I know that you can be in the DEP for up a year and my ship date can be moved back, doesn't give me a reason to slack and not reach my goal of passing the IST before shipping, I am trying really hard. But technically you signed a legally binding contract to ship out on a certain date, and if you don't hold up to the end of your obligation to leave on that date, I highly doubt anyone can force you to leave, now recruiters may hassle you about it but they won't phsyically make you even though the military "could" take the matter to court, but they won't. In perspective, the Marine Service Counselors want a applicant/recruit to be mentally and physically prepared before shipping to bootcamp, and if your not then I believe they "can" move your ship date, the Marines want you to suceed so if your ready I'd say go for it, but if not then tell them you need more time. Know that you have up to a year in the DEP, but don't waste any unecessary time in the DEP, jobs you want may disappear, That is my two cents, I'm sure more people can add to what I said or correct anything I said wrong.

karkrazy1243553
08-14-06, 02:42 AM
Well i would like to be more prepred but also i have a buddy thats joining in but he has to enroll for college credits and he wont be done with it for a few months and i would like to ship out with him. Any help or advise would really help thanks!:bunny:

RomanNose
08-14-06, 02:48 AM
Well like I mentioned before if you can pass the IST pretty good then I would just leave, now my recruiter and NCOIC say I should exceed the IST requirements before I leave so I can be better well off when I do get to bootcamp, so I understand if you want more time to get ready. I believe the Marines have a buddy program you can do with your friend, just ask your recruiter about it, you might be able to do that instead of leaving so soon. Quick question though, if you knew you would need more time to get ready why did you agree on a contract to leave so soon???

karkrazy1243553
08-14-06, 02:50 AM
Well they had a GED slot open up so i had to take it if i wanted to get in. Otherwise I would of had to take 15 college credits

RomanNose
08-14-06, 03:00 AM
ohhhh ok, well I guess then I don't really know anything about slots for applicants with GED's, in my opinion you should have just done the 15 college credit thing, I believe they promote applicants to PFC E-2 if you have 15 or more college credits, would be better than just being E-1 private, unless you kick butt in bootcamp and become an honorman, I believe that is grounds for promotion also. Either way you have your year in in the DEP so again if you really don't want to leave on your ship date because you need more time to get ready then I wouldn't, plus try that buddy program thing if you want to leave with him too, just make sure your job is still available, I suppose it just depends on what YOU want. :nerd:

karkrazy1243553
08-14-06, 03:02 AM
thanks for the help man! i appreciate it!;) c ya on the battle fields huh?

RomanNose
08-14-06, 03:05 AM
I sure hope so man, I hope to become a Marine just like you hope to also.:usmc:

karkrazy1243553
08-14-06, 03:07 AM
all i need is the shot to try man. good luck to ya!:flag:

RomanNose
08-14-06, 03:12 AM
Good luck to you too, stay motivated and never quit! :thumbup:

karkrazy1243553
08-14-06, 03:14 AM
sure thing recruit!:D