PDA

View Full Version : Packed house of veterans remembered in Cumberland Twp.

thedrifter
08-13-06, 08:31 AM
08/13/2006
Packed house of veterans remembered in Cumberland Twp.
By Brandon Szuminsky , Herald-Standard

CARMICHAELS - Broadcaster Tom Brokaw dubbed them the "The Greatest Generation," those men and women who fought on the frontlines and who sacrificed at home to help turn the tide of World War II. Short years later, still more members of that generation wore the uniform during the Korean War.
On Saturday, around 400 members of that generation from Greene, Fayette and Washington counties were honored for their service to their country during a World War II and Korean War veterans' recognition ceremony, one of several such events statewide sponsored by the State House of Representatives.

"I'm glad to see them get the recognition," said James Seargeant of Waynesburg, a Vietnam veteran in attendance who serves as VFW District 24 junior vice commander. "I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for them."

The two-hour event started shortly after noon at the Carmichaels Fire Hall in Cumberland Township. The event was originally slated to take place elsewhere, but the response from veterans of the 50th Congressional District was so high that plans altered to switch venues.

"As that generation fades from the scene we, in a bipartisan way, think it was abundantly appropriate that we commemorate their courage and commitment," said state Rep. H. William DeWeese (D-Waynesburg) after the event. "I obviously am very grateful that the response was as solid as it was."

A crowd of nearly 900 filled the hall and was well represented by bright red U.S. Marines hats, American Legion and VFW caps and American flags. Several veterans attended in wheelchairs; a few brought along oxygen tanks. Scattered among those attending, small grandchildren flittered between laps.

The decision to commemorate the veterans came as this summer marks the 60th anniversary when soldiers began to return from the front, DeWeese said.

"Thousands of Greene County, Washington County and Fayette County boys and girls went off to war and many did not come back," DeWeese said during his remarks, flanked by state, regimental and U.S. flags. "And that's why we're here today."

"I've seen some people who I haven't seen," said Ray Davis Jr. of Waynesburg, who served in the Army and was at Normandy for D-Day. "It's nice that they brought us all together. It's something that should happen more often."

The bulk of the event involved DeWeese going to each veteran and presenting them with a commemorative medal and certificate. Several times a family member accepted a medal for a veteran who had passed away or was unable to attend.

"It was an extremely emotional two hours and a lot of tears were shed," said DeWeese.

Charles R. Crockard, who served in Navy during WW II and was in all theaters of the war, was among those honored. Though he needs a wheelchair to get around and doesn't like to talk much about his service, he was not going to pass up seeing hundreds of fellow veterans.

"This is the first time he's been out in a crowd in a while," his wife, Enid said. "He's limited to where he can go, but he was looking forward to this."

Like so many other events honoring the veterans of WW II and Korea, the event was also focused on helping those family members in attendance - and the entire 50th District as well - remember the cost that generation paid.

"I hope they never forget it," Davis said. "Because we certainly won't."

Ellie