PDA

View Full Version : A new life for young Marine badly hurt in Iraq

thedrifter
08-13-06, 08:10 AM
A new life for young Marine badly hurt in Iraq
Sunday, August 13, 2006
By GEORGE WERNETH
Staff Reporter

When Marine Lance Cpl. Philip J. Schermer III of Mobile drove a Humvee over an anti-tank mine in Iraq's Anbar province two years ago, he didn't lose his life, but instead gained a new one.

His 20-year-old body filled with shrapnel, he underwent nine surgeries following the Oct. 12, 2004, incident. He had shrapnel wounds in his left leg, his left arm and his face. His right heel was shattered, and a hole was blown through his left eardrum.

At first, the doctors thought he would never walk again. But with months and months of extensive physical therapy, the determined young Marine advanced from being bed-ridden to using a wheelchair and then to using a cane.

Now he walks around the Auburn University campus without the aid of a cane. This week, Schermer, now 22, will begin his sophomore year.

And, he noted in a recent interview, although he is not glad that he was so terribly injured, he is going to college -- something that he had never planned to do before that awful day.

"I truly believe that everything happens for a reason," Schermer said, talking with a reporter in Mobile, where he was visiting with friends and his parents, Philip J. Schermer Jr. and Donna Schermer.

The 2002 graduate of Davidson High School said that, before his injuries, he had planned to continue to serve in the Marine Corps Reserve "for a number of years," and perhaps go into law enforcement. But he was given a medical retirement from the Marine Corps because of his wounds and could no longer pursue a law enforcement career.

While recovering, Schermer said he decided to go to Auburn, where he is now majoring in communications and is "leaning toward a career in pharmaceutical sales." He wants to sell artificial limbs and "hardware used in surgeries."

He said that his injuries sparked his interest in that career field. Although he does not have an artificial limb, he said he does have a metal plate in his right foot.

Schermer, who was a member of the Mobile-based 3rd Force Reconnaissance Company, an elite Marine Reserve unit, said he is receiving a pension as a result of his injuries and the Department of Veterans Affairs is funding his college costs. "Auburn was very helpful in getting me enrolled as a returning veteran," he said.

At first, he said, "It was hard transitioning from military life to college student life, but Auburn and my family and friends made it easier for me. I feel comfortable at Auburn now, and I'm looking forward to starting my second year."

The camaraderie that he enjoys as a member of Phi Delta Theta fraternity has also helped him.

Schermer said he is making better grades in college than he did in high school, and is more focused academically.

The former Marine said he does not expect to need more surgery.

He said what he misses most about the Marine Corps is the "brotherhood" he shared with fellow Marines.

His father is pleased with the way that Schermer has handled himself through difficult experiences.

"I'm extremely proud that he picked himself up after his injuries and is moving on with his life," the elder Schermer said. "I believe people need a good education, and he picked a quality school. I believe his education is going to benefit him tremendously."

Ellie