PDA

View Full Version : Got a couple questions as a Poolee...

Achped
08-09-06, 08:41 PM
Well, I just started my senior year and after knowing I wanted to be a "soldier" my whole life, I realized that the Army just isn't for me. I wanted to be the best and I didn't want the guy next to me trying his best for self-preservation so he can get his college money when he gets out.

Anyways, I have a couple questions

I signed open contract when I went to MEPS, so did everyone else I know, but they all got jobs (they're also leaving in like a month, where as I'm leaving in 10 months)

I got a 95th Percentile on my ASVAB, a 137 GT score. I really want infantry, maybe intel, but my recruiter is pushing intel and wants me to take the D-Lab (I speak a fair amount of German) but she still hasn't taken me to MEPS to take the D-Lab, and I haven't signed a paper guaranteeing me a job yet. I'll do intel or infantry, it doesn't really matter to me but I just don't want to get stuck as a cook or something that I have no interest in. She's been really busy lately, she put in like 10 people to MEPS already this month, so I know she's got alot to do, but how can I get this settled? I'm really worrying about this. I try talking to her but she just seems really busy all the time.

Also, my personal stuff. When do I finally get all of it? I.E., I have a car, when will I be able to keep it where I'm stationed and how do I get it there? I go to basic, come home for 10 days, and I'm pretty sure I need to take a plane to MCT. Then after MCT I go to my MOS school. Can I bring my car with me to my MOS school? If not, I can have one where I'm stationed right? (as long as its in the US) That's another thing that's confusing me.

Oh, and do military members still apply to gun laws? Cuz I've got alot of nice firearms that won't be legal if I end up being stationed in California. Are they pretty lenient with that sort of thing or what? Obviously I'm not planning on bringing my entire house with me to where I'm stationed, but it's not illegal to own a vehicle in the Marines, is it? And of course if I get stationed in the sand box or Gitmo or wherever, I obviously cant bring my car, but I'm just kinda confused on how I get all my stuff out of my parents house and with me?

Thanks if advance guys.

Barret
08-09-06, 08:53 PM
Hey, I do know this: although the majority of Soldiers do not take as much pride as being soldiers, as much as Marines take pride in being Marines (If you can understand that:D ) , I do know that there are some squared away, gung-ho soldiers.

Also: Do what you want to do, what you think would be fun, because if you wind up hating your job, your recruiter will only blame you.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-09-06, 09:28 PM
You have 10 months before you ship, so don't worry about the MOS too much. I didn't set mine until my MEPS visit before shipping, and it all worked out perfectly. In fact, if you wait until the new fiscal year to select your MOS, it may be easier to get you where you want to be.

Some MOS schools will allow you to have a POV (personally or privately owned vehicle) and some will not. The length of the school is the biggest factor. If you go infantry, you cannot take it to SOI. If you go intel you will probably have that option. But, you don't get leave after MCT, so you'll have to figure out how to get it delivered to you if you can't wait to take leave. As for your other belongings, you can have them shipped to you, but I would caution not to get too much until you get to your first duty station... it is just more to have to move.

The gun laws still apply to you while you're in the military. In fact, they are more strict. You cannot keep a gun with you in the barracks or in your vehicle. You have to keep them in the armory and check them out when you need it. But, remember that the California gun laws apply mostly to guns purchased in California. Some guns are just illegal to own in the state, but there are many guns that can be brought into state by you when you move in. In fact, those guns can then be sold to California residents perfectly legally. This is why guns like the Kel Tec P3AT are so valuable to people moving to California. You can buy one for about $200 and then sell if after you move to Cali for double the price.

jinelson
08-09-06, 09:31 PM
Welcome aboard Leatherneck.com Matthew. The Poolees that are leaving in the next few months are most likely your recruiters priority right now and thats why they already have their MOS's. Also they have all graduated. A 95 ASVAB and 137 GT should allow you to persue just about any MOS the Corps has. Just relax and give your recruiter some time your recruiter will know whats the best for you. As for your car you wont need it in Recruit Training, SOI/MCT and most likely not even MOS school unless its a real long one. Once you get to the fleet, then provided it is registered, it passes a base maintenance and safety inspection and your license and insurance is in order then its probable you can have it. Guns check that out with your fleet assigned unit as commands vary somewhat, but they would have to be state legal so CA is perhaps out.

Achped
08-10-06, 05:06 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I was just worried because I know everyone told me "Don't sign an open contract" and there I was signing an open contract and I still don't have a job. I have a long time, so I'll just wait.

As for my car, I wasn't really "dieing" to have it, I was just curious how I'd get all my stuff. But yes, I'll probably just wait until I get to my duty station, my dad already said he'd drive it/my stuff out to me and fly home. So that's no big deal. I guess the guns will just have to stay at home :(

Again, thanks for the help guys.

Accord
08-10-06, 01:18 PM
I'm glad to see you found your way here, Ach.

I've asked the firearm question before, on top of what Echo_Four_Bravo already stated, you can also keep them off base in a storage unit, so you have access to them anytime and don't have to deal with checking them in and out of the armory, etc.

Lithium
08-10-06, 06:45 PM
Welcome aboard Achped!

I signed open contract as well, but just got locked in for 03xx Infantry option. I signed open because the job listings for the next fiscal year had not been made yet. But I just locked it on, so....

Anyways, I would try to get your job as soon as possible in case the slots fill up. If your recruiter is pushing intel because of your high ASVAB scores, here is some advice that I was given when making my MOS choice. I, like you and many others, scored high on my ASVAB. I was discussing MOS's with my recruiter, and the Navy recruiter walked in. He proceeded to tell me some of the best advice I have learned so far. He told me that just because I got the high score, doesn't meant that I shouldn't go infantry. "Do you think the United States wants stupid people at the tip of their military spear?". He then told me to think about it and walked out.

Almost made me want to join the Navy, right;)

Do what you want to do, because you will be doing it for the entirety of your first enlistment.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-10-06, 08:12 PM
Keeping weapons in a storage unit isn't the greatest idea. It isn't the most secure of locations, mine was broken into during a deployment as were those of other people I know. It could lead to the loss of some very expensive weapons and some bad feelings from local law enforcement types.

sgt tony
08-10-06, 09:50 PM
You have time the new year is the best to get the mos that you want. I was a recuriter years ago but it still the same Oct 1st the jobs are open for the year so that is when you should press to get it locked in. Second that this to heart leve your guns at home and they will be there and then let the Marines provide you the fun ones. Just keep your stuff at home till you get to your 1st Duty Station then you can decide.

WannabeDevildog
08-11-06, 01:18 AM
A 95 on the ASVAB?! Dang, I got an 80 and with that score my recruiter told me I could have any job I wanted. Of course he could have just been saying that, but there's no doubt that with a 95 you could do whatever you want. You still got 10 months to choose an MOS, so take your time. If it were me, I would definately try to get one picked out before I shipped off to boot camp. Like I said before, I got an 80 and I plan on going Infantry. I get a lot of "Why in the hell?" for doing it but the Navy guy hit the nail on the head. But whatever you decide to do, you'll still be a MARINE!!!

Achped
08-11-06, 05:26 AM
Well I want infantry, the problem is I've never been a good distance runner. I don't know if that's because I've never "practiced" (I haven't) or if I just have some problem haha. I heard those guys run like 6 miles a day in full pack. I don't wanna end up like Santiago in A Few Good Men ;)

That being said, Intel, I think, will get me promoted faster. I don't know which way I'm going to go yet (i.e., how I'm going to get there) but I plan on getting a commission as an officer one day. So many intelligence will make it a bit easier?

JWG
08-11-06, 05:50 AM
Do what you'll enjoy doing and what you can DO BEST for the Corps. Every MOS is needed for the Marine Corps.

Just remember, you're a MARINE first, MOS second.

Good luck, Brother! :thumbup:

Motivated,

-Jon :iwo:

Well I want infantry, the problem is I've never been a good distance runner. I don't know if that's because I've never "practiced" (I haven't) or if I just have some problem haha. I heard those guys run like 6 miles a day in full pack. I don't wanna end up like Santiago in A Few Good Men ;)

That being said, Intel, I think, will get me promoted faster. I don't know which way I'm going to go yet (i.e., how I'm going to get there) but I plan on getting a commission as an officer one day. So many intelligence will make it a bit easier?

Marine84
08-11-06, 10:14 AM
If you ain't into long distance stuff and ain't ready to MAKE yourself do it.............infantry ain't for you - rethink it.

As far as the "stuff" - if you're like a lot of us that were leaving home the first time, it will still be sitting there when you get back. You'll travel to places and pick up some GREAT deals on other "stuff" - for instance, when I went through Japan in 86, it was stereos - I can't think of anybody that didn't buy one over there. Some of us STILL have them! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-11-06, 12:44 PM
six mile run in a full pack.... every day? WOW is all I can say. I'll also add that I've never heard of ANYONE doing that.

As for promotions, DO NOT pick a job based on what you think will get you the quickest promotions. The MOS I had was one of the fastest promoting jobs out there while I was in MOS school. People were pinning on Cpl the day they were eligible. Of course, by the time I got to the fleet, things had changed. The highest cutting scores in the unit were all people with my MOS, but it was closed so people were not getting promoted. Despite the MOS being closed, there was a shortage of NCO's, at least in our unit, so people were LCPLs serving in Sgt billits. The same thing could happen to any MOS you select thinking it will get you promoted more quickly. So, pick what you'll like to do, the rest will take care of itself.

Achped
08-11-06, 01:11 PM
If you ain't into long distance stuff and ain't ready to MAKE yourself do it.............infantry ain't for you - rethink it.

As far as the "stuff" - if you're like a lot of us that were leaving home the first time, it will still be sitting there when you get back. You'll travel to places and pick up some GREAT deals on other "stuff" - for instance, when I went through Japan in 86, it was stereos - I can't think of anybody that didn't buy one over there. Some of us STILL have them! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

No way, of course I'd be ready to make myself do anything to get that EGA. I'm just wondering what I should do.

Should I do what I WANT to do?

Or should I do what I'll be best at?

Camper51
08-11-06, 02:35 PM
Will you be happy doing what you are best at?? Or will you be happier at what you WANT to do???

That should be your answer...

Achped
08-11-06, 03:09 PM
Honestly I'd like to do both. Kind of like....Ron Livingston's character in Band of Brothers, still doing intel work but in an infantry unit at the same time.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to infantry, the only thing I'm worried about is getting stuck in a tank. That's the ONLY thing I would never want to be in. No particular reason, it just would seem boring.

Maybe I'll do intelligence.

You know what, I'm gonna go talk to my recruiter :)

Lithium
08-11-06, 04:20 PM
The Thing about running is, the faster you run, the sooner you're done! :D

Marine84
08-11-06, 07:51 PM
It all depends on how bad you want it...................

Covey_Rider
08-11-06, 08:06 PM
Hey I've got your same mindset and I chose intel...There are a couple Marines here on leatherneck that are/were intel and I would suggest talking to them for more information......

Achped
08-12-06, 10:49 AM
I think I'm gonna go for infantry.

I just got back from our pool function and man, it was so much fun. I used to hate them because I was in such bad shape, but now that I actually have endurance I enjoy it. I was in the front of the group screaming those cadences during our 2 1/4 mile run. I actually almost started to pass the Sgt leading us towards the end.

I want infantry. I'll push myself to do it, that's what its going to be.

Jsphsl4204
08-12-06, 01:37 PM
The Thing about running is, the faster you run, the sooner you're done! :D

Not true.

The collapse makes it difficult to mantain that gung-ho pace.

:bunny:

Lithium
08-12-06, 02:54 PM
Ive never really had a weight problem, but I have been out of shape. I have never collapsed while running though!