PDA

View Full Version : New recruiter changes careers

thedrifter
08-09-06, 06:39 PM
New recruiter changes careers

By WAYNE QUESENBERRY
Staff
Wednesday, August 9, 2006

Like most Americans, Kevin L. Kurlas was profoundly affected by the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on this country. He left a successful business enterprise to join the U.S. Marines.

"I was living the American dream," the 29-year-old Columbus, Ohio, native stated from his Wytheville office where he serves as area recruiter for the Marines. "I could not continue doing that knowing others were fighting for me."

According to Kurlas, he was driving to work at Pepper's New York Delicatessen & Restaurant in Columbus, which he co-owned with his brother Michael, on that fateful morning. Kurlas heard the radio broadcast of the plane crashing into the World Trade Center but first thought it was a stunt.

"When I got to my office, I turned on the TV," he stated. "I watched several channels. I knew that instant young men and women would be going to Iraq."

Inspired by his dad, a 26-year veteran of the Marines, Kurlas enlisted Nov. 4, 2001. He sold his interest in the restaurant to his brother for $1.

"I started the business when I was 17 with $500," noted Kurlas, whose office is decorated with framed newspaper articles about the restaurant. "It grew to a 10,000 square-foot three-story restaurant in downtown Columbus. It was very successful."

After basic training, he served with Fox Battery 2/11 1st Marine Division in Iraq. Kurlas was in the artillery unit where he fired the 155 mm Howitzer.

"It's the best decision I've ever made," he commented. "I think the Marine Corps is the finest organization in the world. I never thought you should get paid to serve your country."

Kurlas recently re-enlisted for four more years. Currently, he is a recruiter in the Wytheville office, which serves Wythe, Bland, Carroll, Giles, Pulaski and Smyth counties and the city of Galax.

"I want to give young men and women the same opportunity I had," Kurlas added. "I'm real blunt and straight to the point with them. I don't paint pretty pictures for them and kids respect that. I find young people are interested in joining. They want a challenge ? that sense of belonging."

Potential candidates must be at least a high school senior and 17 years old. The maximum age for recruitment is 28 with a high school diploma or equivalent.

The recruitment office is located at 1111 N. Fourth St. in Wytheville in the Evansham Shopping Center. The number is (276) 228-8222.

Wayne Quesenberry can be reached at 228-6611 or wquesenb@wythenews.com.

Ellie