PDA

View Full Version : Marines Don't Do That

thedrifter
08-09-06, 09:54 AM
Given to me by hubby...fontman
Thanks Mark

Ellie

LETTER TO THE ARMY TIMES(MARINES DON'T DO THAT)

Letters

Wear your pride on your sleeve

There is no question that while this nation is involved in the war on terrorism, the men and women of our armed forces are working harder, longer and more intensely then ever before.

As a retired chief master sergeant, I am proud that our military is the best trained, most motivated and most capable fighting force in the world.

That pride is re-enforced every time I see a service member in uniform. To me, the uniform is the single most visual symbol of the dedication and commitment our service members make on a daily basis to ensure our national security.

But at a time when the appearance of the uniform in public should be at its highest, there is a disappointing trend to the contrary.

In areas such as the Washington capital area, where there are significant numbers of service members commuting and working in civilian facilities, the military uniform is rarely seen.

Instead, one sees troops in battle dress uniforms. BDUs and flight suits were designed for specific training and combat tasks — not administrative tasks.

More importantly, general public recognition is nil. I recently observed a major general walking around downtown D.C. in a flight suit. It was difficult to distinguish this senior officer from the Metro mechanic working nearby on a stalled bus.

I also recently observed a young Marine sergeant in a Class A uniform emerging from a Metro station. Everyone noticed him, and I could see the pride in everyone’s smile. Many strangers came up to him and thanked him for his service.

Although these two examples are at the opposite ends of the spectrum, it appears to me the military services are missing a great opportunity to visually express the pride I know they have to the public.

BDUs and flight suits are meaningless to the public. At a time of recruiting challenges and a public need to recognize our men and women for all that they do, wearing the uniform is a no-cost option.

Air Force Chief Master Sgt. Peter M. Steffes (ret.)

Vice president for government policy,

National Defense Industrial Association

Arlington, Va.

Marines Don't Do That
By: L. F. Chapman, Jr. - Commandant

DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY
HEADQUARTERS UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20380

To: All General Officers and All Commanding Officers - Active and Reserve
Subj: Marines Don't Do That

1. Early this month I received the following note from a distinguished friend:

General Chapman:

"Recently I was in an air terminal......(Most people there presented a pretty sloppy appearance) - coats unbuttoned, ties loosened, etc. There was a Marine Corporal (in uniform) who was just the opposite. I spoke to the Marine and pointed out the difference to him. I asked him why it was so? His answer was: 'The Marines don't do that.'"

"Regards,"

2. "The Marines don't do that." A simple statement of fact which leaves no question in the mind of the listener.

Marines don't - wear a scruffy uniform.

Marines don't - slouch around with their hands in their pockets. Marines don't - wear long hair.

Marines don't - fail to respond with a "Yes, or No, Sir" when speaking with a senior. Marines don't - render a half-hearted or sloppy salute to the Stars and Stripes or to their seniors. Marines don't - gang up on each other.

Marines don't - question lawful orders.

Marines don't - lie or cheat or break their word.

Marines don't - abandon a fellow Marine in time of need.

Marines don't - let down their fellow Marines by succumbing to drug temptation.

Marines don't - meet problems with "It can't be done" or questions with the easy answer "No."

Marines don't - knock the system without recommending appropriate change. Marines don't - (the list is all but endless).

4. Marines don't do that. But why not? Because they are a breed apart. They are not the run of the mill; they are but a few good men. They are proud members of an elite Corps. They are as well trained as-if not better than-any military outfit, anywhere. They have led the way, in war and peace, for 196 years. And they know that today they are ready-combat ready-to move out, any time, with the Navy, go anywhere, take on anybody, fight and win.

We must keep our balance, raise our quality, maintain our standards, and be ready to serve our Country. Marines do that!

/s/ L. F. Chapman, Jr.
Commandant

Seeley
08-09-06, 11:26 AM
I read that "Marines Don't..." list in an old Leatherneck while I was in MCJROTC. My SMI gave it to me. It was written by Gen. Krulak.

ggyoung
08-09-06, 04:26 PM
Seeley[[[[[[[[Which Gen.Krulak?

yellowwing
08-09-06, 04:37 PM
Marines don't - meet problems with "It can't be done" or questions with the easy answer "No."
That's why I like working parties with a few Privates and new PFCs on board. They didn't know if something was impossible or not, they went ahead and got the job done.

Seeley
08-09-06, 04:40 PM
Seeley[[[[[[[[Which Gen.Krulak?

I believe it was Gen. Charles C. Krulak, 31st Commandant of the Marine Corps :)

Zulu 36
08-09-06, 04:48 PM
Brute, Junior

fontman
08-09-06, 05:47 PM
Brute was LtGen Victor H. Krulak, Chuck's Daddy-O!

The Brute was twice the general his son was, IMHO!

Damned rookies...

:evilgrin:

fontman
08-09-06, 06:04 PM
Lieutenant General
Victor H. Krulak

Lieutenant General Victor H. (Brute) Krulak, a "paramarine" during World War II, was born in Denver, CO, January 7, 1913. He was commissioned a Marine second lieutenant upon graduation from the U.S. Naval Academy, May 3l, 1934. His early Marine Corps service included: sea duty aboard USS ARIZONA, an assignment at the U.S. Naval Academy; duty with the 6th Marines in San Diego and the 4th Marines in China (1937-39); completion of the Junior School, Quantico, VA (1940); and an assignment with the 1st Marine Brigade, FMF, later the 1st Marine Division.

At the outbreak of World War II, he was a captain serving as aide to the Commanding General, Amphibious Corps, Atlantic Fleet, General Holland M. Smith. He volunteered for parachute training and on completing training was ordered to the Pacific area as commander of the 2d Parachute Battalion, 1st Marine Amphibious Corps. He went into action at Vella Lavella with the 2d New Zealand Brigrade.

As a lieutenant colonel in the fall of 1943, he earned the Navy Cross and the Purple Heart Medal on Choiseul Island, where his battalion staged a week-long diversionary raid to cover the Bougainville invasion. Later, he joined the newly formed 6th Marine Division and took part in the Okinawa campaign and the surrender of Japanese forces in the China area, earning the Legion of Merit with Combat "V" and the Bronze Star Medal.

After the war, he returned to the United States and served as Assistant Director of the Senior School at Quantico, and, later, as Regimental Commander of the 5th Marines at Camp Pendleton. He was serving as Assistant Chief of Staff, G-3, Fleet Marine Force, Pacific, when the Korean Conflict erupted, and subsequently served in Korea as Chief of Staff, 1st Marine Division, earning a second Legion of Merit with Combat "V" and Air Medal.

From 1951 to 1955, he served at HQMC as Secretary of the General Staff, then rejoined Fleet Marine Force, Pacific, as Chief of Staff. In July 1956, he was promoted to brigadier general and designated Assistant Commander, 3d Marine Division on Okinawa. From 1957 to 1959, he served as Director, Marine Corps Educational Center, Quantico. He was promoted to major general in November 1959, and the following month assumed command of the Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego.

General Krulak was presented a third Legion of Merit by General Maxwell D. Taylor, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, for exceptionally meritorious service from 1962 to 1964 as Special Assistant for Counter Insurgency Activities, Organization of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. On March 1, 1964, he was designated Commanding General, Fleet Marine Force, Pacific, and promoted to lieutenant general.

For the next four years he was responsible for all Fleet Marine Force units in the Pacific, including some 54 trips to the Vietnam theater. He retired on 1 June 1968, receiving a Distinguished Service Medal for his performance during that period.

About his son, follows:

General Charles Chandler Krulak (born March 4, 1942) served as the 31st Commandant of the Marine Corps from July 1, 1995 to June 30, 1999. He is the son of Lt. Gen. Victor H. "Brute" Krulak, USMC, who served in World War II, Korea, and Vietnam.

Charles Krulak was born in 1942 in Quantico, Virginia. After graduating from Phillips Exeter Academy in Exeter, New Hampshire, Krulak attended the U.S. Naval Academy. He graduated from there in 1964 with a bachelor's degree. Krulak also holds a master's degree in labor relations from George Washington University (1973). He is a graduate of the Amphibious Warfare School (1968); the Army Command and General Staff College (1976); and the National War College (1982).