PDA

View Full Version : Color Blind??

ZMielens
08-06-06, 02:25 PM
I went through MEPS only to learn I'm colorblind. I still swore in, being a Marine was the first goal. Now i don't know what MOSs i qualify for. I meet with my recruiter tuesday, anyone have any suggestions?

DaveXIII90
08-06-06, 05:48 PM
Hey man! dont sweat it! Im also colorblind- unless your trying to become a sniper, do force recon, do anything nvolving defusing/setting/finding explosives, or something very technical, your fine- try to talk to Echo Four Bravo- he could help you out alot with this, he helped me understand alot about it as well. Your gonna be fine.

Ssands
08-06-06, 05:53 PM
Hey man, glad you hear you swore in and everything at MEPS, just one step closer.

Try this website out. Gives a lot of information about enlisted jobs, requirements and descriptions and all kinds of cool stuff.
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/marinejobs.htm

Good luck!

ZMielens
08-06-06, 08:03 PM
Any MOSs you suggest for me to bring up to my recruiter?

JWG
08-06-06, 09:19 PM
Although I have no suggestions, as I lack the knowledge and do not want to give you a answer less than satisfactory...

I want to Congratulate you on your swearing in at MEPS, Brother! One step closer to your MISSION..

That EAGLE, GLOBE, AND ANCHOR!!! :evilgrin:

You will accomplish that Mission.. and you'll bring back that stripe!

STAY MOTO ALL! :flag:

Motivated,

-Jon :iwo:

Poskew
08-06-06, 09:38 PM
OHHHHRAHHHHH

JWG im watching you !!!

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-06-06, 11:24 PM
Like I told you in the PM I sent to you, we can't pick an MOS for you. There are a bunch of Marines on this site that loved thier MOS, and most of us did different things. It depends what your interests are and what you want to learn while you're in the Marine Corps.

CHOPPER7199
08-07-06, 01:23 AM
Suggestion From An Old Grunt.
Transportation Of Any Kind.

hrscowboy
08-07-06, 01:27 PM
Lets see welding, mig tig and arc.. Mechanic, embassy duty, administration, Military Police, Truck Driver, theres just a few for ya..

ChiefUSMC
08-07-06, 04:50 PM
Congradulations Recruit If at anytime you have a questions, please contact me...

A motivated Career Recruiter
Semper Fidelis

Messenger
08-07-06, 07:29 PM
i guess it would depend a lot on which colors you have an issue with and if shades of diferent colors very at all. just a guess but i bet they will want you to take a spesific kind of eye test to see where you stand.

i think they have a waiver for just about everything if they are willing to work with you.

just a sidenote* i know that in past wars they used some colorblind people becasue they could spot camo netting from the air as it looked differently to someone that was colorblind.

good luck and let us know what happens.

semper fi

ZMielens
08-08-06, 06:14 AM
:iwo: I got my contracts today. Im eligable for all jobs in 0100, 0300, 0400, 0500, 0600, 0800, 1100, 1300, 1800, 2300, 3000, 3100, 3300, 3400, 4400, 6000, 6672, 7041, and 7200. If anyone has any comments on anyof these please reply. On the hand personnaly Im interested in 0400 Logistics, 0500 MAGTF, 06 Operational Comm., and as always 0300 INFANTRY. I was supprised to see that 2300 (Ammunition and Explosive Ordinance Disposal) was any option, I think that would make the worlds first color-blind OED tech. "Cut the red wire"; "but sir... there's no red wire, there's two brown ones though?!?!?":iwo:

David Jameson
08-08-06, 06:57 AM
The 18oo field use to be tanks or Amtrac field and like chopper said you might enjoy not walking all the time.

OOOpivyOOO
08-08-06, 11:40 PM
The only MOS you might not be qualified for that I know of are in the electronic and aircraft maintenance fields. I'm sure not all of them are unatainable, but because electronics deals with color coded wires and resistors, I know the higher echlon repairs are out of the picture. But, I would recommened an NBC (nulear biological and chemical) MOS. Those guys always seemed to have a good time gassing everyone! Plus, if you can get into that field you will most likely be able to get stationed with alot of different types of units from grunts to headquaters, so it makes life a little more interesting.

ZMielens
08-09-06, 05:15 PM
Thanks guys. I went with infantry. I was over sitting behind a desk or just repairing things.

ericpin
08-09-06, 08:06 PM
You should find out what degree you are color blind and have it entered in your medical record. When I was in there were 4 degrees. If you are slight you should have not problem but if it more than slight it could limit your choices. Also which colors can be very important. You may quailify for special duty. You need to investagate your limitations on your own otherwise you can missout on some great assignments. Unless the Corps has changed since I was in it is all based on you.

Good luck Marine.
:flag:

Tallboot
08-09-06, 09:24 PM
I also failed the Color blind test, I can see colors fine .. but they dont exactly blend in differnt shades for me. Im sure your good to go.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-09-06, 09:36 PM
There are some jobs that they just will not let you have if you cannot pass the falant lamp test. It doesn't always make sense, but that's just how it is. Of course, the job I had we had to deal with red and green wires anytime we were actually doing our job. For some reason, that wasn't a problem. But, you can't be Ricky Recon because (and this is what a Top told me when I asked) you may not be able to tell the different rounds that are color coded and may load a live round thinking it is a blue dummy round. Now, if you've seen the dummy rounds, you should know there is no way to make this mistake unless you're an idiot- color vision has no bearing. Now... if they wanted to say it is because it is difficult for a person without normal color vision to read a map under a red lense, that would make sense.

I am rambling for no particular reason. The poolee has chosed 03XX, and will find that some of the jobs within that field aren't open to him, but others are. And, since the Marine Corps revolves around 0311s, he'll be fine if that is where he ends up.