PDA

View Full Version : the climb commercial

03Infantry
01-03-03, 08:46 PM
Can someone tell me who makes the "climb" commercial, the one with the Marine climbing the cliff? I am making a website for rss Vancouver (WA) and want to put that in my site, so I need to contact the person who made it. THANKS

Shaffer
01-03-03, 09:08 PM
If you email or private message one of our own members Sixguns, he should be able to tell you anything you would like to know about the commercial as I believe he had a hand in the making of the video.

Semper Fi,
Jerry

USMC-FO
01-03-03, 09:09 PM
Call Public Relations at HQ USMC in DC. They likely can tell you. Less important than who made the piece is who owns the rights. I would suspect USMC has the rights. The question here is can you get the rights to reproduce it in a private web site?

Shaffer
01-03-03, 09:43 PM
If the site he is making is for an RSS than he would not need permission.

Semper Fi,
Jerry

03Infantry
01-03-03, 10:00 PM
So I could use it if it was for a RSS? Because it is for RSS Vancouver to give recruits info and also recruit new people.

wrbones
01-03-03, 11:13 PM
Hey '03 infantry'. have you read all the stuff on this forum yet?

Damn near everything ya need, kiddo! ;)

Glad to hear ya workin with yer local recruiters!

03Infantry
01-03-03, 11:19 PM
THANKS MARINES!!!!!!

Sixguns
01-06-03, 12:43 PM
RSS's are not permitted to run or maintain individual web sites. Only Marines.com is authorized to exist outside the .mil domain. Before you invest a lot of time making a web page, please consult your MPA and District. The Climb is used throughout the revised Marines.com pages and can be downloaded from the usmc.mil page. The use is for recruiting only, and so, RS MPAs have been provided materials for use by Marines at their command.

SF,

MAJMike
01-06-03, 01:35 PM
"The Climb" was produced by the Corp's designated advertising agency, J. Walter Thompson, and specifically by Thompson's Atlanta office (J. Walter Thompson, 400 Colony Square, Suite 980, 1201 Peachtree Street, Atlanta, GA 30361 Ph. (404) 365-7300).

J. Walter Thompson is one of the world's largest advertising agencies and is a member of WPP Group. JWT was the first advertisng agency ever created and counts among it's other clients Ford, Shell and Nestle. JWT has 315 offices worldwide and more than 9,000 employees.

The young Marine featured in "The Climb" is/was an active duty Marine at the time of the filming.

I would suggest contacting MAJ Andrew Fortunato, Director of Marketing, Marine Corps Recruiting Command (see below) regarding use of the commercial.

WASHINGTON DC, February 21, 2002 -- The Marine Corps today released its newest television commercial which will serve as the cornerstone of its recruitment drive for the next three to four years. The 60-second TV spot and two:30 edits, called "The Climb," featuring active duty Marines will begin airing on February 23, 2002 and be seen in movie theaters starting in May. It is part of an integrated marketing effort that includes print advertising, direct mail, the Internet, radio, special events and traditional recruitment efforts.

The commercial, created by J. Walter Thompson, Atlanta, is the Corps’ most ambitious production to date. Set in Monument Valley, Utah, the spot follows a young man as he climbs up the 600-foot rock face of a towering mesa, propelled only by his bare hands and sheer determination.

As the young man ascends to the summit, projected special effect images appear on the rock depicting different aspects of the Corps, including its past and the Marine Corps of today. As the young man reaches the top, the likeness of a Marine Corps World War II era infantryman reaches down to clasp his hand and welcomes him to the Corps. As the men exchange a salute, the young man transforms into a Marine in full dress blues uniform and becomes part of the Corps.

The commercial closes with the new Marine standing triumphantly in formation with his comrades. Within this group formation is a female Marine, a first for Marine Corps recruitment television commercials. The Corps’ tagline: “the few, the proud, the Marines” ends the spot.

"The Climb" symbolizes the challenge every recruit undertakes to make the passage to become one of America's elite warriors. The storyline reflects research that has found 17-24 year-old prospects associate the Marine Corps with personal growth, mental and physical challenge, pride of belonging, and the common bond that comes with teamwork and discipline.

"Young people look for a challenge," said Major Andrew Fortunato, Director of Marketing at Marine Corps Recruiting Command. "That's the very message our commercial conveys. We always talk to a young man or woman about the intangibles, not about college benefits and not about salary."

The commercial which took over a year, from project strategy to final editing, was not altered in any way after the events of September llth.

Mike Lollis, Executive Creative Director of J. Walter Thompson, Atlanta, said, "The Marines have an enduring message: recruits join a force of smart, tough, elite warriors. This life of honor, courage and commitment demands sacrifice and is not for everyone. The consistency and durability of what the Marines stand for is timeless, whether we're at war or at peace. Our task is to renew and energize that image."

MAJ Mike Ventura
USMCR 1968-74

03Infantry
01-06-03, 08:07 PM
I though RSS's could have websites. My recruiter said they used to have a website but is not sure what happened to it. Well it is a school project so if I can't end up using it it is ok.