PDA

View Full Version : Pain when running

WannabeDevildog
08-04-06, 03:47 PM
I think a thread like this has already been started, but I can't find it and don't remember the content.
Anyway, I've been trying to prepare myself for boot as much as possible. I started running about a month ago. I haven't ran for about two years (since high school). I started with a 1/2 mile, now I'm up to a mile, and plan on increasing distance by 1/2 mile till I get to a six mile run. My question is, is it normal to have pain in your knees after you stop running? I do a cool down and everything, but my knees hurt like hell for about an hour or so after I'm done. What's wierd about it is they don't hurt while I'm running, just after. Is it because I haven't ran for so long or what? I don't know what the deal is. Any info would be very helpful. Thanks

JWG
08-04-06, 03:49 PM
If you're not walking a while after you run.. try doing that.

You need to give time for your legs going from running to dead stop.. and walk a lap or so to "cool down."

I'm no doctor or expert.. but like I said, if you're not already, try walking and "cooling down" a bit after you're run.

STAY MOTO, BROTHER!!

Motivated,

-Jon :iwo:

WannabeDevildog
08-04-06, 03:52 PM
That's what I've been doing, and that's when it starts to hurt. Maybe I'm not cooling down long enough. I'll try cooling down longer. Thanks Jon.

JWG
08-04-06, 03:58 PM
How long do you walk afterwards.. and how long of a run exactly?

It may be something more than just the cooling down.. but I'd definitely try doing a longer one.

If that doesn't do the trick.. make sure you're not over-doing it. If you've just started running again after 2 years.. I'd run your scheduled runs for a week.. WAIT A WEEK.. and then start back up to prevent a stress fracture from occuring.

Good luck, BROTHER! STAY MOTIVATED!

Always Motivated,

-Jon :iwo: :usmc: :flag:

WannabeDevildog
08-04-06, 04:02 PM
I usually cool down for about 5-10 minutes after a run, however long it takes to catch my breath. I've been running a mile every morning, but decided to cut it back to Monday, Wednesday, Friday to see if that would help with the pain. It has a little bit, but it's not completely gone. I'll try the every other week thing and cooling down longer. Thanks a lot Jon, I love this site!!!

JWG
08-04-06, 06:12 PM
I usually cool down for about 5-10 minutes after a run, however long it takes to catch my breath. I've been running a mile every morning, but decided to cut it back to Monday, Wednesday, Friday to see if that would help with the pain. It has a little bit, but it's not completely gone. I'll try the every other week thing and cooling down longer. Thanks a lot Jon, I love this site!!!

Hey, Brother.. you've come to the right place for comradery and support.. you're working toward becoming a UNITED STATES MARINE!

Not U.S Army Ranger.. not U.S Navy Seal.. but U.S MARINE! You've just entered the path to the BEST BROTHERHOOD in the world, .. and WE GET GUNS and GET TO protect the UNITED STATES of AMERICA... HOME of the FREE! We plan to keep it that way, as long is there is the United States Marine CORPS!

STAY MOTIVATED BROTHERS AND SISTERS!! :thumbup: :flag:

Motivated,

-Jon :iwo:

Smalcom
08-04-06, 08:06 PM
However if this pain persists for more then a month or so, dont "be tough" go to a doc, could be tendonitis. Im just saying, if it doesnt stop, it most likely will, i had the same thing.

,Smalcom "PT guru"

kovanfleet
08-04-06, 09:30 PM
where on your knees does it hurt? is it below or above the knee cap or all over?

The Sandman
08-04-06, 10:08 PM
Wannabe, how much do you weigh? How tall are you? Where EXACTLY does the pain come from? What is your pain index from 1-10 and what kind of pain is it?

WannabeDevildog
08-05-06, 12:25 AM
I had no idea I'd get response this big. Sorry I haven't responded sooner, I just got off work.

where on your knees does it hurt? is it below or above the knee cap or all over?

All over. It almost feels like it runs all the way through the joint.

Wannabe, how much do you weigh? How tall are you? Where EXACTLY does the pain come from? What is your pain index from 1-10 and what kind of pain is it?

Last time I checked I weighed about 180 at 5'10" On an index from 1-10 it's probably a 6 or 7. And like I said it goes away after about an hour or so. Again it feels like it runs completely through the knee joint.

However if this pain persists for more then a month or so, dont "be tough" go to a doc, could be tendonitis. Im just saying, if it doesnt stop, it most likely will, i had the same thing.

If it is tendonitis, would that DQ me from the Corps?

I also got to thinkin' at work today... I spend a lot of time at work on my knees stocking and facing shelves. Anyone who's been in a Wal-Mart knows the floor isn't exactly soft. Sometimes it hurts after work and my knees feel stiff. I wonder if that might be a factor as well.

Thanks for all your input guys. I really appreciate it.