PDA

View Full Version : places the marines have taken you

futureMarine418
08-04-06, 03:40 PM
Can you tell us about the places you have been as marines and what interesting things you have seen ( landmarks famous buildings and so on...)

:flag: :usmc:

thedrifter
08-04-06, 04:00 PM
A little tidbit...

You always capitalize Marines;)

Ellie

outlaw3179
08-04-06, 04:21 PM
Some different places Ive been are Bali, Thailand, Singapore, Kenya, Kuwait,Saudi Arabia, Jordan , UAE, Bahrain, Iraq and a bunch of others. Obviously not all of them were libo ports or anything like that but everywhere you went and you had time to go out in the ville youd experience their culture, eat their food , see different places , and just experience their people (women) :) So if your lucky in the Marine Corps. you can travel around the world and see alot of stuff people will never have the opportunity to see. If your there and its not for fun and either your training or even in real world situation then you mayhave the chance to meet some of their people, and if your lucky kill them.

Marine0313
08-04-06, 05:36 PM
I have seen some good and bad parts of this world but when you said landmark only one place came to mine AMSTERDAM this place was full of famous landmarks and other tourist attractions i would suggest the red light district because of the vast scenery and never ending learning oppurtunities it is truly a unforgettable place. good luck Future Marine i hope this helps KILL

dscusmc
08-04-06, 06:02 PM
Iwo Jima was the one of the most interesting places I went when I was enlisted. When I was stationed in Okinawa, III MEF would periodically fly Marines out to Iwo Jima to see the island and to learn some history. They would usually fly several Iwo Jima vets with us.

The intel shop printed out some campaign maps from the landing and we flew in, went down Red Beach 1, and then up Mt. Suribachi.

If you wind up over in Korea, you might get to go to Inchon or the DMZ. As a Marine, no matter where you go overseas, there were probably some Marines there before you that made some history. So there is always something to learn.

Some of your biggest learning experiences will come from working with military forces from other countries. You'll also have the opportunity to travel and see just about any landmark you want.

Marine84
08-04-06, 06:28 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA! Marine0313 - "vast scenery and never ending learning opprotunities" - that's just funny man! But you DO have a point!

I went from Parris Island to TN, FL, CA, Japan - everywhere I went in the States though I drove. Before I went to Japan I drove from CA to SC to leave my car at my Mom's and took AMTRAC back across - this way I got to spend a few hours in NY (I had enough time to hit 7 out of 11 floors at Macy's and eat lunch), had enough time in Chicago to go to the top of the Sears Tower (you want to talk about an awesome sight!). Each time I drove cross country I always took the time to stop and see weird places - like The Thing (can't remember if it's in AR or NM now) that was out in the middle of nowhere in the mountains but he had road signs for like 2 states or some nonsense advertising the place.

And Japan - I cannot tell you about - I can only say WHEW!

wsimkins
08-05-06, 12:16 AM
Guess I need to wait until tomorrow when I'm sober then we can discuss the 10 or so countries I have been in. Including; Spain, France, Germany, England, Italy, Sicily, Norway, Lebanon, Egypt, Isreal, Liberia, Turkey and now we can go to South America....... Shout man, see it yourself.

wsimkins
08-05-06, 12:19 AM
Join the Navy, see the world. Join the Marine Corps, clean it up!!!!!!!!!!! OOOOOOOOOOOH-RAH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-05-06, 01:21 AM
I thought he was asking what places the Marines have taken... not taken you... and I remembered my favorite OOH-RAH T-shirt from back in the day. It doesn't fit with the actual question, but I am posting it anyway. I just wish I could find my old shirt.

We took the anchor from the Navy.
We took the eagle from the Army.
And on the seventh day, when God rested, we overran His perimeter and took the whole globe, and have been running things ever since.

futureMarine418
08-05-06, 08:30 PM
Echo Four Bravo That has to be the best thing i have ever heard. I really hope you can find that shirt.

futureMarine418
08-05-06, 08:37 PM
Echo Four Bravo i think the hole quote is this
We steal the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, the rope from the Army, and on the Seventh Day when GOD rested, We overran his perimeter and stole the Globe, and we have been protecting our shores ever since

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-06-06, 12:35 PM
Future, the quote I gave is what my shirt said. You may have heard it differently, there are plenty of versions out there. But, the shirt I had, and the one I wish I could find, says what I typed.

Korling
08-06-06, 03:30 PM
In the US:
San Diego, CamPen & Monterey, California
San Angelo, TX
Provo, UT
Kaneohe, HI

Outside the US:
Wake Island
Guam
Okinawa
Japan &
all over Korea.

Echo5November
08-17-06, 11:15 PM
I've seen alot of Southeast Asia. Not so much the sites, but alot of the bars and red light districts. Most of the time, those trips usually meant a trip to medical a few days later!! Semper Fi!!

Sgt. Norton

outlaw3179
08-18-06, 12:27 AM
I may or may not have arm wrestled a Koala in Australia. I think he won....I was pretty wasted.

WalkingMan
08-18-06, 05:10 PM
MCRD San Diego (San Diego is a beautiful town... I was there for radio school after boot camp, so I got out out into SD. <br />
<br />
Camp Pendleton, CA Disneyland... Yikes! <br />
<br />
Camp LeJeuene, NC Newburn...