PDA

View Full Version : A salute to future officer McCain

fontman
08-04-06, 08:32 AM
A salute to future Marine McCain
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 4, 2006 12:00 AM

Unless you receive one of John and Cindy McCain's Christmas cards, you probably have never seen Jimmy McCain, the senator's 18-year-old son.

That's on purpose.

McCain has never been a politician to trot out his family for political events. He has largely hidden them from the limelight, the glare of publicity, that so many in his position take for granted.

The younger McCains were reared in Arizona, and the senator came home for weekends. They didn't appear with him much on the campaign trail, even when he ran for president in 2000.

That wasn't by accident.

And this week, when it was revealed that Jimmy, the senator's youngest son, will enlist in the U.S. Marine Corps, it was a shock. It made national news.

After all, only slightly more than 1 percent of members of the U.S. Congress have sons and daughters serving in the military. Only two senators, Republican Christopher Bond of Missouri and Democrat Tim Johnson of South Dakota, have sons who have served in Iraq.

So what Jimmy McCain has decided to do is not because he doesn't have options. He could enter college. He could go to work. Instead, he decided to join the Marines. After boot camp and specialized training, he could be deployed to Iraq.

He knew that. And he enlisted.

"I'm obviously very proud of my son," the senator said, "and understandably a little nervous."

But it's not exactly a surprise, either, given the family history. Duty, honor, patriotism, courage, these are not just words to this family. Indeed, military service is ingrained in the family culture.

John McCain's grandfather served in the Pacific during World War II. His father commanded U.S. forces in the Pacific during Vietnam. McCain himself was a naval aviator and a prisoner of war.

A new generation of McCains is entering the family business. Another son, John, is attending the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis. And now Jimmy.

A legacy of honor, sacrifice - and danger - continues.

And our salute goes to another future Marine.

mcrdsd
08-04-06, 08:54 AM
I met Senator McCain and his wife Cindy while they were pampaigning in my home state of Michigan. When Senator McCain spotted my aviators leather jacket, he said: " I like that jacket"! He and his wife spent the nnext 20 minutes or so talking to my wife, son, daughter, and myself. Received his autograph and had photo's taken of my kids with him and Cindy McCain. Top notch people!! Semper Fi! Duke Frye 72-94