PDA

View Full Version : Marines assist local man found injured on road

thedrifter
08-04-06, 08:31 AM
CAMP FOSTER, OKINAWA, Japan(Aug. 4, 2006) -- When a convoy of Marines traveling on Route 329 saw an Okinawan man bleeding on the side of the road July 12, they immediately stopped to help.

Lance Cpl. Oscar Galvez and Staff Sgt. Belinda Hodgdon were with the convoy of Marines from Marine Wing Support Squadron 172 driving from Camp Hansen to Camp Foster when they spotted the man at around 5:30 a.m.

"My first impression was that he was dead," said Hodgdon, the supply logistics chief for MWSS-172. "I told (Galvez) to pull over. I ran out of my vehicle toward the man, and Lance Cpl. Galvez immediately took his pulse."

Hodgdon said the man appeared to have cuts on his body, and his shirt was completely soaked in blood.

"You couldn't tell where his wounds were because there was so much blood," she said.

While Galvez was checking the man's pulse, other Marines waved down a taxi driver. The driver called for an ambulance to pick up the injured man.

"We were just fortunate to be in the right place at the right time," Hodgdon said.

The man received medical attention and is reported to be in good health.

Ellie