PDA

View Full Version : Where's Harry Truman?

fontman
08-03-06, 05:36 PM
Where's Harry Truman?
By Larry Kudlow
Aug. 3, 2006

The Republican Congress will be blamed for the widening corruption problems endemic to the Iraq War. It could be another nail in the GOP's election year coffin.

Today's WSJ story by Yochi J. Dreazen "Audit of Iraq Reconstruction Finds Corruption Worsening" is a very tough story that suggests a breakdown of Congressional oversight. Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction Stuart Bowen's latest quarterly audit estimates $4 billion per year corruption costs in Iraq. The story goes on to report that "the Bush administration continues to wind down its ambitious Iraq reconstruction program, which has spent ten of billions of dollars on rebuilding efforts that have largely failed to restore basic services such as water or electricity to pre-war levels."

Oil smuggling continues to siphon off revenues. U.S. Comptroller General David Walker says 10 percent of Iraq's refined fuels and 30 percent of its imported fuels were being stolen. Additionally, Mr. Bowen concludes that "the Bush administration's overall handling of Iraq contracting -- from relying on no-bid contracts even when major fighting had ended, to failing to standardize contracting regulations to help prevent fraud -- was deeply flawed." He goes on to say that the U.S. has not provided proper contracting and procurement support necessary to manage reconstruction efforts begun three years ago. And he also sites widespread mismanagement among competing U.S. government agencies.

Again, reports like this will damage Republican Congressional management and oversight of the Iraq war. Poll after poll shows that American voters are not happy about Iraq for any number of reasons. Most of the media commentary focuses on the White House and the Pentagon, but Congress plays a key role through its oversight functions. If more stories like this circulate in the media, Congress will be blamed.

When Harry Truman was an unknown senator from Missouri during WWII, he chaired hearings that rooted out corruption in various war-related contracts among defense suppliers. Truman made a real name for himself doing this. This is a key reason why FDR put him on the ticket in 1944.

Where is today's Harry Truman in Congress?

I say all this as a war hawk and a war supporter. I want to win this war. I do not want to cut and run. I agree with President Bush's basic mission of spreading democracy and freedom to the Middle East.

But after three democratic elections in Iraq, it does not seem that we are winning this war. And if we are not winning it, then one has to worry about the possibility that we may lose it. And that would be a very bad thing.

OLE SARG
08-03-06, 05:50 PM
We definitely need ole Harry in the Congress today. Look at the corruption with jefferson (we all keep 90,000 cash in our freezers, yeh, right) - He's a ******* thief and a crook and us tax-payers are still paying his ass for doing nothing except get bribed!!!!!!!!!!!
l can't buy the story that the FBI could not conduct that investigation. The damn crook was asked to cooperate and to turn over certain documents and he didn't. BUST HIS ASS!!!!!!! Is Congress going to be a haven for crooks and thieves (probably already is)??????????????????????????

SEMPER FI,

Mike McIntyre
08-03-06, 06:02 PM
Don’t get me started. I live in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City><ST1:pNew Orleans. </ST1:p</st1:City>The Gargoyle, as we call him, just might get re-elected.

OLE SARG
08-03-06, 08:59 PM
People ***** and moan about all the corruption in Washington and then you tell me the SOB might get reelected. Makes you wonder what the hell people are thinking - the SOB is an EDUCATED CROOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

Mike McIntyre
08-04-06, 07:46 AM
Ole Sarg,
<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
Where do you get EDUCATED?

OLE SARG
08-04-06, 08:51 AM
jefferson is a college educated congressman (probably got it free because of his color and to hear him tell it, "His hard times").
The man (and I use that word loosely) is a college educated moron. He's making a forturn as a politiician and he wants more - THEN wants to hide behind immunity because he is a politiican, a crooked one at that.

SEMPER FI,

redneck13
08-04-06, 09:13 AM
:evilgrin: Harry Truman only made one possible mistake...not letting the Arrogant General take China. But....when he said something?, you damn sure could bet he meant it. He took no prisoner's. He didn't take all the crap like is put out there today. My Dad, God rest his soul said...."It takes them 2-4yrs to learn how to steal, the rest of their term to do it." Ain't one of them sapsucker's up there for the most part, that ain't lining their pocket's with Monies from under the table, or some loop hole they have found. Then you have to consider this also. If you ain't rich? YOu cain't run for office. THEY SUCK. They are truly maggott's. SF

Gary Hall
08-04-06, 02:45 PM
The memories of him live on, CVN-75 for a good example.

As I remember the times, about 1953, President Truman quietly, with his family, got on the train carrying his own suitcases and went home. Unlike numerous others, he did not make a big to do or production about leaving office. He said the people were the sovereign, and he had just been given a promotion from public service to join the people, and he looked forward to the honored status. My favorite English Teacher, Mrs. Willie McGee McGee (I wrote it right) always cautioned that we should try to get the people's name properly tended to. But after all these years I still am confused about the proper name of the 33rd President. I see it written Harry S. Truman and at other times Harry S Truman, I don't remember now Mrs. McGee McGee, which way is correct.

I do remember:

1.) He was an honest man. During the Korean Conflict, the steel workers ````struck and President Truman attempted to break the strike by taking ````over the mills. Immediately the Supreme Court ruled against him and the ````media beat a trail into his office and demanded: "What are you gonna ````do now, Harry?" The President said: "I'm going to obey the law." More ````and more, after some 50 odd years I am amazed at the beauty of that ````astute commitment.
2.) He had the courage and wisdom to show humility. Once while addressing ````a class room of young children he was asked if he had been brave as a ````youth. He replied that NO, he had not been brave, in fact he said he ````had been considered a sissy (his word) because of his very weak eye ````sight, and the very strong corrective lens he wore. He said his father ````had always cautioned him to try to avoid confrontational occurrences ````because of his limited ability to defend himself, as a youth.
3.) He was the last President not to be a college graduate.
4.) He always paid off his debts.
5.) After serving in WWI, as a Captain, he stayed in the Reserves and ````retired a Col. Upon the US entry into WWII he tried to get in the ````Military, but was refused as being too old.
6.) He, as very few others on the political scenes always openly supported ````his friends and family and castigated his detractors. When he made ````plans to go to the funeral of his friend Tom Pendergast, his aides ````advised him against it, but he went to the funeral of Boss Pendergast ````anyway.
7.) He made it plain and in public that he would defend his daughter's singing
ability from the callousness of pundits.

In closing, he lived in a more honest time, he was not afraid to declare
the US a Christian Nation; political correctness had not been
promulgated and as for NAFTA, the country didn't feel "WE HAFTA".
Schools were not yet afraid to teach right from wrong, there was no
outsourcing and stovepiping had not become fashionable.

The intent of the concept of Multiculturalism was a focus on "out of
many - one" and not the other way around.

Thanks for the good work and memories, Sir and when you pass by
the big tree tip your hat in appreciation for good work done. Gary Hall

Mike McIntyre
08-04-06, 02:57 PM
Now that is awesome History! Nice Read