08-03-06, 04:11 PM
Needs our HELP:

Local News Thursday, August 03, 2006

Tragedy spurs open hearts, pockets
Marine returns home to learn daughter killed in traffic accident

BY DAVID J. LEE
Odessa American

It wasn’t the homecoming he expected.
U.S. Marine Sgt. Rodney Lane arrived Tuesday at Midland International Airport from Camp Lejune, N.C., looking forward to a week of convalescence with his family in Colorado City, following a shoulder surgery.
Instead, at the airport, he was told that his family had been in an auto accident that killed his 1-year-old daughter and sent his wife and another child to University Medical Center in Lubbock.

“My wife was released from the hospital today,” Lane, 34, said Wednesday via telephone from Lubbock.

“Our daughter, Asia, is still in the burn intensive care unit, but she’s doing magnificent,” he said. “She’s burned pretty badly, but she’s doing excellent. Our other daughter, August, and son, Collin, don’t have a scratch on them.”

And though he’s surrounded with tragedy, Lane said there’s still a bright spot. Midland Fire Department paramedic Eric Smith went out of his way Tuesday to help Rodney Lane get to Lubbock — forking over $1,300 to a private plane company to get the eight-year Marine veteran to his family.

“He did it out of the kindness of his heart,” Lane said. “What he did, it’s immeasurable. It gives me hope that there’s still something to say about the human spirit. That all is not lost and just residual kindness does still exist.”

Smith said he was working at the Midland Fire Department station at the airport about 11:30 a.m. Tuesday when they got a call about a hysterical man in the airport. Inside, the firefighters found Lane, who’d just learned of his family’s tragedy.

“We didn’t know what to do with this guy,” Smith said. “Rodney was ready to get out of there, but no one flies into Lubbock.”
“I called Deer Horn, a private aviation place, and they said they would do it for $1,800,” Smith said. “When they learned the circumstances, they said they could do it for $1,300. I said I’d pay for it, and I had him sent to Lubbock.”

Four co-workers, as well as Reaction Chemical of Odessa, later offered to help Smith pay for the plane ticket.

“They just needed some help,” Smith said. “There’s no doubt. I’d be willing to do it for anybody. You see somebody in that kind of need, you just have to help.
“I don’t know if you know what a firefighter makes, but it’s not much,” Smith said. “I just tried to put myself in his place.”
Smith continued to work for the Lane family, setting up a trust fund at West Texas State Bank for the Lanes.

“This guy’s going to need a lot of help,” Smith said. “The money is going to the family for funeral expenses and medical expenses. They’re going to need lots of stuff and lots of help.”

-------------------

I WILL FIND OUT ALL INTEL ON SENDING $$$$, OK!!! :123:

ALL OF THE BAD LUCK, IT GONNA HURT BIG TIME

Fund RAISER to help family:

West State bank:

1501 w. W UNVERSIRTY, PHONE # 432-337-285

SOURCE: http://oaoa.com/news/nw080306a.htm

http://www.thesquadbay.com/forum2/Smileys/default/handsalute.png

booksbenji
08-23-06, 02:17 PM
Earl Patchers come to aid of Marine family:

Fund-raiser nets $11,000 for Marine

Rodney Lane lost two daughters in an accident

ODESSA AMERICAN

West Texans opened their pocketbooks this weekend to benefit the family of a Colorado City Marine who lost two of his daughters in an Aug. 1 accident.

“It was extremely successful — it turned out wonderful,” said Connie Stephens, the American Legion Auxiliary’s chairwoman of national security.

A silent auction, drawing and barbecue dinner Sunday raised more than $11,000 to help U.S. Marine Sgt. Rodney Lane’s family with funeral and medical expenses, among other things.
Asia Lane, 6, died Aug. 7 at University Medical Center in Lubbock, where she’d been kept in the burn unit since the Aug. 1 accident near Colorado City. Her sister, India, 1, died in the accident.

Bonnie Lane, 30, and her four children were on their way to Midland International Airport to meet Rodney Lane, who was returning from Camp Lejune, N.C., when the accident happened.

Efforts to reach Rodney Lane were unsuccessful Monday.
Meanwhile, Stephens said she believes West Texans gave from their hearts to help the family at the Sunday fund-raiser at the American Legion.

“It was all by donation,” she said. “There was no price on anything. But, they gave what they could — and, they were very generous in their giving.”

Source: http://oaoa.com/news/nw082206e.htm

There's no online donations, but mailin.

West TEXAS State Bank
300 Marinfeld ste 250
Midland, TX 79701
Att: Rodney Lane Memorial Fund

Let me know how many are gonna contribute and I will write a ltr letting Rodney know that MARINES TAKE CARE OF THEIR OWN.

booksbenji
08-25-06, 04:51 PM
I talked to the lady at W. TEXAS bank Thursday and she said that was outstanding the thang I'm hope will happened ( no response from SB.com nor leatherneck.com on this). I hope that all 3 MARINE WEBSITES COULD TAKE CARE OF OUR OWN. 230 YRS OF DOING THIS COULD PROVE TO BE THE TURNING POINT OF OF CARING. THEIR 1 FISHWRAP(PAPER THAT CARES) AND THE OTHER and that the town I live in).

So make cks payble to RODNEY LANE AND MAKE IN CAPS PUT THIS WEBSITE ON CKS SOWEHERE. Bank will keep tally of the ck and and websites and Ms. Julie* say their will make a big ck and make sure that TV and Papers will be at presentation. I hope to be included

* Her Huddy is squid do let us put him under the deck, MARINES.

books