PDA

View Full Version : Rumsfeld: Iraqis must stop sectarian violence

thedrifter
08-03-06, 03:18 PM
August 03, 2006

Rumsfeld: Iraqis must stop sectarian violence

By Rick Maze
Staff writer

The rise in sectarian violence in Iraq is causing great bipartisan concern in the Senate, with worries that U.S. troops could be put at great personal risk trying to prevent civil war.

In the short term, increased violence in Baghdad has scuttled hopes of withdrawing significant numbers of U.S. troops from Iraq by the end of the year. That decision, said Sen. John Warner, R-Va., the Senate Armed Services Committee chairman, runs the risk of hurting morale of troops and their families.

“I don’t question the seriousness of the situation and the need to do it, but we should have an explanation,” Warner said. “I do not want to see the hopes of our men and women of the armed forces and their families raised and then plans changed.”

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., who is next in line to be committee chairman, said the U.S. seems to be playing a game of “whack-a-mole” by moving troops from one hot spot to another while waiting for the day when Iraqi security forces can take over so U.S. forces can leave.

“It is very disturbing,” McCain said. “If it is all up to Iraq’s military, I wonder why we have to move troops into Baghdad for what clearly is sectarian violence.”

Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld said stopping sectarian violence is a mission for Iraqi forces, not U.S. forces, and it is likely to result from a reconciliation policy as the new government takes shape rather than squashing insurgents. U.S. forces are being redeployed to assist Iraqi forces, he said.

Army Gen. John P. Abizaid, the U.S. Central Command commander, did not try to sugarcoat things. “Sectarian violence is as bad as I have seen it in Baghdad,” he said. “If it is not stopped, it is possible Iraq can slip into civil war.”

Abizaid also acknowledged the risk of increased U.S. casualties as a result of the redeployment. “It is possible,” he said, but he also tried to sound optimistic. “It is decision time in Baghdad,” he said, expressing his confidence “there are more people in Baghdad trying to hold it together than there are trying to break it apart.”

“This will not be easy,” said Marine Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. “This will not be quick. This will not be without sacrifice, but we will prevail.”

Pace tried to be upbeat, though, saying the violence could be halted quickly if the Iraqi people “decided they love their children more than they hate their neighbor.”

“I think they will cease the moment but I cannot tell you when,” Pace said. “It will reach the point when they are fed up with it.”

Not everyone was buying the rosy forecast. “The American people can tell the difference between succeeding and failing,” said Sen. Mark Dayton, D-Minn., noting Iraqi security forces have not been able to stop sectarian violence and U.S. troops continue to suffer casualties as a result.

Ellie