View Full Version : Marines

jrcollege
08-02-06, 10:12 PM
can you ask for a ~Accompanied. These tours are 3 years long, and the family
can come along! The children will attend Department of
Defense schools on base. (See
http://www.dodea.edu/data/allsites.cfm#sch to get info on
DOD schools.)
can u ask for a three year overseas tour w/family invited?

wsimkins
08-03-06, 06:28 AM
Accompanied tours are possible depending upon the duty station. Your rank has allot to do with it. When I got my orders to Sigonella, IT I was a CPL (E-4) and the orders gave me a choice of 18 months unaccompanied or 24 months accompanied. I elected the accompanied and took my family with me.

If you are a PFC or LCPL, I doubt there will be any accompanied tour duty stations. More than likely you will do 12 months unaccompanied in Japan or be smart like me, I did mine 6 months at a time by going on floats. I got to see most of Europe and had a blast!

Accompanied tours don't count as deployed time though. When I came back from Italy on my accompanied tour, within 4 months I was deployed to the Mediteranian Sea. My wife got along just fine without me. I missed her and the kids, but that's what we do as Marines. If I wanted it cushie and be around her all the time I would've joined the Air force or Coast Guard.

Marine84
08-03-06, 11:32 AM
Honey - the way the military looks at it is - if they wanted you to have a wife/husband and kids they would issue them in bootcamp.

Since you're asking all of these family oriented questions PLEASE don't go in the Corps! And I don't mean that in a "mean" way. We're family oriented (to a point) BUT - if you're going to be more worried about what your wife and kids are doing or what's going on at home more than you'll worry about covering another Marine's a$$ - I would much rather you didn't guard my house at night.

Besides, ask ANY Marine in here (married or single) - there are some things that you will get into that you will not want your spouse to know about :)