PDA

View Full Version : You'll Tell Me If I'm Out Of Place...

EdwardDaley
08-02-06, 08:58 PM
...I wrote the following article in August of last year, and back then I received so many complimentary and encouraging responses from military folks like yourselves that I ended up with several loyal penpalls.

Apparently my article was passed around to a lot of folks in both Afghanistan and iraq, and it wasn't long before one of my local (Maine) politicians got wind of it. Being of the liberal persuasion, she was - shall we say - UNTHRILLED by my remarks, and actually took the time to express her feelings to me in the form of a letter.

My simple response to her was this: Get bent!

I don't know why was reminded of that event when I registered to participate here... perhaps it's the heat... but I was, and so, without further ado I submit for your perusal...

AN OPEN LETTER TO AMERICA'S TROOPS

If one were to rely exclusively on the left-leaning media as a source for information on the war, one would be led to believe that you folks in our armed forces are getting your backsides kicked all over the Middle East these days, and what's more, the humiliating defeats you're suffering are coming at the hands of "insurgents", "militants", or "rebel fighters".

Thankfully, most U.S. citizens are no longer dependent upon propagandists at the Abu Ghraib Daily (aka the New York Times), or Al-Jazeera-West (aka CBS) for their news. Indeed, Americans like myself understand that the vast majority of butts getting kicked in Iraq and Afghanistan are attached to fascist parasites who think that Allah hands out rewards for the cowardly slaughter of children.

We also continue to refer to the sons o' *****es you're fighting as TERRORISTS, even though using such judgmental terms as that is inexcusable in the eyes of the "enlightened" press.

Then again, screw the enlightened press!

How so many people within the journalistic community could be so absolutely FUBAR during a time of war is beyond my ability to comprehend, yet I can tell you as a matter of fact that they are. I can also tell you that I spend a great deal of time hunting down stories for publication on my own news and commentary website (the Daley Times-Post) which the "mainstream" media routinely chooses to ignore.

In fact, rarely a day goes by that I don't find some inspiring story about you brave men and women fighting in the Middle East to post on my humble blog. For instance, just a few days ago I read that combat soldiers are re-enlisting in unexpectedly high numbers, which is something that I'm sure Dan Rather was shocked to discover. That fact didn't surprise me though, because over the past year or so I've seen or read many interviews with seriously injured American troops, and practically all of them have expressed a strong desire to return to their units, even though they've lost arms, legs, eyes, and just about every other body part you can name.

Apparently, and I know this will come as a huge surprise to people like Hanoi Jane Fonda and Cindy (I'd rather camp out in a ditch than honor my son's memory) Sheehan, even soldiers who now need wheelchairs to get around are determined to continue serving their country, and to those incredible individuals I can only say GOD BLESS YOUR SOULS!

I'm guessing that the Senator from Illinois, Dick Durbin (before he dicks you) and his ilk would like us all to believe that heroes like Corporal Michael Oreskovic, who, after getting his left arm blown off in combat said he would return to duty if he was allowed to, are the exception and not the rule. Of course, these are the same weasels who loudly proclaim that U.S. soldiers are no better than Nazis, and then act insulted when people like myself call them TRAITORS for their outrageous and unforgivable remarks.

I don't know about anyone else, but I suspect that Mike Oreskovic speaks for a whole lot of American troops when he says that serving his country is all he ever wanted to do. When I was younger, and less decrepit than I am today, I wanted nothing more than to join the Air Force like my father before me, but I was denied that privilege due to a birth defect called scoliosis... otherwise known as a crooked back. I was raised on military bases, however, and I've met and lived with all kinds of soldiers over the course of my life, so I know the mindset, even though I was not allowed to fulfill my dream of donning the uniform that my dad so proudly wore.

I am also inclined to believe that what motivated most of Corporal Oreskovic's fellow soldiers to join the armed forces isn't all that different from what motivated him. As he once related in an interview I viewed on C-SPAN some months ago, "what really set me off... that convinced me to go in the military was seeing American soldiers dragged through the streets of Somalia. Ya know... that was the turning point in my life. It was like, ok, get your ass in gear. You're gonna join the army. You're gonna make sure that doesn't happen to anybody ever again. And it was wrong to leave after that! Could you image if that happened today? If they drug a few sergeants through the street - you know, pretty much naked - in the middle of Baghdad, and George Bush said hey, get all your stuff, we're going home? Ya know, there'd be outrage in the country, and we'd look like - pretty much - like wussies to the rest of the world. No one would ever take us seriously."

Of course, the anti-war left in this country, and around the world, wants nothing more than to see our military suffer another humiliating defeat, just like the one we witnessed in Mogadishu in 1993. The truly demented thing is that they actually believe they're doing you, the American soldier, a favor by pulling you out of Iraq or Afghanistan, even though doing so would negate everything you've fought so hard to achieve thus far. What they just can't seem to grasp is that most people who volunteer to serve our country in the armed forces are willing to risk their lives for something they believe in.

But then, words like honor and duty, while they are truly important to individuals like yourselves, have no real meaning to the screeching hoards of brainsick terrorist appeasers out there, who complain about the growing number of American war casualties in one breath, and then encourage our enemies to increase that number with references to a Vietnam-like "quagmire" in the next.

They'll swear up and down that trying to put an end to the war is really a patriotic undertaking, but do any of them ever ask you, the people who are actually doing the fighting, what you think about the war... or anything else? I submit to you that the answer to that question is no! The fact is that they don't give a crap what you think. Most of them believe that you must have been brainwashed into signing up in the first place, since, in their opinion, no clear thinking person would willingly fight on behalf of the imperialist United States of America.

People like the members of MoveOn.org have managed to delude themselves into believing that they're "saving you from yourselves" by undermining your mission, just as good left-wing parents might seek to spare their children the horrors of a Christian upbringing by force-feeding them the rhetoric of Karl Marx in Kindergarten. To these sad sacks, the ends justify the means, regardless of how much damage is done to their nation in the process.

But despite the objectionable antics of yammering nitwits like Michael Moore, who get an inordinate amount of press coverage every time they invent a new reason to object to the war effort, all is not lost! For you see, just like the enemy you now face overseas, the lunatic left here at home is no match for those of us who know the difference between right and wrong; between good and evil.

Make no mistake about it my friends, and herald champions of freedom, while you face down the contemptuous enemies of liberty and human decency in places with names like Shar-e-Safa and Karabilah, those of us who truly love and respect you here at home are pounding the snot (figuratively speaking) out of every damned Chamberlainesque naysayer we can find in places with names like San Francisco and Washington DC.

And no matter how many weasels in the popular press think it's ok to refer to the war as "Bush's Vietnam", this time around, we, the members of the VAST right-wing conspiracy, will not tolerate leaving any of our soldiers twisting in the wind, while some pathetic Kerry-come-lately spits on them and everything America stands for. Frankly, I don't give a damn what most "journalists" have to say, or how many anti-war polls a bunch of pompous ignoramuses in tailored suits try to shove down our throats via television news broadcasts. We are going to win this fight against the surrender-monkeys in our midst, just as you are going to be victorious over the soulless barbarians you now face.

In the words of General George S. Patton, "Nobody ever defended anything successfully, there is only attack and attack and attack some more."
That statement rings as true to me as I'm sure it does to you fine people on the front lines. Retreat is never an option... not for REAL Americans! In my opinion, it is the duty of every individual in this country to either get with the anti-terror program, or get the hell out of the way, and may God have mercy on the man who tries to deny you brave soldiers your well-earned right to achieve absolute victory, because he'll get none from me.

Oh, and one last thing...

All of you who wear the uniform of one of our nation's military branches, and defend freedom around the world, are my personal heroes. Each one of you has done more for our country than most other Americans, myself included, ever will, and I pray for your safe return home from those far-away fields of battle upon which you now stand. May God watch over you and keep you safe, and may He continue to bless the United States of America.

greensideout
08-02-06, 09:20 PM
For some reason your article reminded me of something that has run through my mind serveral times this week. I have been thinking that all U.S. citizens that are able should serve in the Armed Forces for at least two years so they can have a clue as to what they are talking about when it comes to service and war.

EdwardDaley
08-02-06, 09:43 PM
For some reason your article reminded me of something that has run through my mind serveral times this week...

I wonder what reason that might be.

greensideout
08-02-06, 10:03 PM
I wonder what reason that might be.

Ok, how about this. It's always best to write about what you know or have lived rather then write as first hand feelings, sorrows, pain, hate, etc. that you have no real knowledge of.
Maybe you should try sports or cars.

MillRatUSMC
08-02-06, 11:10 PM
This isn't World War II, only a few are feeling the burden...being that way since Korea, Vietnam...now with an all volunteer military.
Most give lip service to support...and slowly we're drifting to shades of Vietnam...you had a silent majority and a vocal minority...so we should really salute those serving...many now have "other piorities" that they won't put on hold no matter what...

EdwardDaley
08-05-06, 08:35 PM
Ok, how about this. It's always best to write about what you know or have lived rather then write as first hand feelings, sorrows, pain, hate, etc. that you have no real knowledge of.
Maybe you should try sports or cars.

How could you possibly know what I have first-hand knowledge of?
Maybe you should try not assuming you know me.

EdwardDaley
08-05-06, 08:48 PM
... many now have "other piorities" that they won't put on hold no matter what...

There is no greater priority for Americans, beyond immediate family concerns, than to support the men and women of our armed forces, and if that's a minority opinion, so be it. I'm still right.

junker316
08-06-06, 01:49 AM
Darley maybe I read your article wrong...but it sounds like you are NOT one of the leftists vigallantes out there undermining every effort that we ( service members ) have put forth. But I agree with greensideout that in fact it is harder to describe what is going on when you have never been and done that type of stuff. I do appreicate your apllauding of the Armed Forces, not like a Mr Steve Benson from AZ, but it is also demeaning in a way. having some-one write such ideaology without the experience is like reading the last chapter in a book first and going backwards from there. You already know the ending so why keep reading. This War on Terror is a joke as it is. WMDs that were not found until a miracle brought them into the open for US Service Members to find...BS about the reasons we went into Iraq in the first place ( remember it was the Tailibon the caused the Twin Tower incident not the Al-Quaidi ) and all the ignored beckons of light that could have prevented all of this in the first place. Case in point...President Bush said " Once Saddam Hussein was out of power Iraq would be turned over to the Iraqi People " ...well we are still there and Saddam is out of power. Been that way for a while now. All we have done is to turn the high beams on ourselves for not keeping the promise made by our very ignorant President. He doesn't have to face angry insurgents on a daily basis because of how he has allowed others to run amuck in Afghanistan and Iraq. No, he is t busy because of supposed " Torture " or raping, or anything else other than the issues at hand. he would rather drink a beer and have the Vice Pres shot a friend than to face the problem of Social Security and Medi-Care. He would rather change the ways of America than to force those coming here to live to change into the ways of Americans or leave. So what's left for Americans.....? To have left wing extremists, holier than thou believers, and ignorant tyrants devalue America because of politics?????? It is Americans that make America strong...not the Government ( proved by the Bush administration )...some another nation trying to run America ( this goes between the UN and all the others that want from us and not return the favor)...Oil Producers like President Bush price gouging the gas pumps to fill more of thier pocket lining...and all the lies adn deceit surrounding Washington DC and most other Federal building America. I believe that soon enough there will be a second Civil War in America because of the politicians and thier ways of deceit towards the working class. We pay taxes they spend our hard earned money on BS that is not needed...they give it away to other nations instead of helping Americans less fortunate...they decide by debate ( a big word in the White House that means that they will talk alot of BS about something and decide when thier pay increases and pay raises are suffient enough for them to decide whther or not thier jobs are to haard to do ) whether or not anything get passed into a Bill of Rights...fairness to them is that since the don't pay into social Secruity that they don't have to fix it...and the live ( off the working Americans sweat ) while relaxing in air conditioned offices with plush furniture and a plasma TV while the working classs trys to make both ends meet pay day to pay day.

greensideout
08-06-06, 03:23 PM
How could you possibly know what I have first-hand knowledge of?
Maybe you should try not assuming you know me.

All I know about you are YOUR words in your profile. If you want to present yourself differently I will read it.

fiasco1371
08-07-06, 10:36 AM
ya know, a simple thank you would have worked here. nowhere in that article will you find Mr. Daley claiming to know or understand what we went through or are going through. so, thank you, sir.

GySgtRet
08-07-06, 11:15 AM
I for one enjoyed your read. For me you were speaking from your heart and not some left or right wing side.

Thank you very much for your post...!!!

David Jameson
08-07-06, 11:41 AM
Green side Good read ,thank you -----Hey ED ,your probly one of the good guys but man --your a hot head. ha ha

GySgtRet
08-07-06, 12:08 PM
What do you mean I am a hot head...???

David Jameson
08-07-06, 12:24 PM
I messed up .Wrong thread . Pardon me GySGTRET Monday ,Monday

WalkingMan
08-08-06, 09:29 AM
This isn't World War II, only a few are feeling the burden...being that way since Korea, Vietnam...now with an all volunteer military.
Most give lip service to support...and slowly we're drifting to shades of Vietnam...you had a silent majority and a vocal minority...so we should really salute those serving...many now have "other piorities" that they won't put on hold no matter what...

I suspect that this is going to wind up being much more like WWII than any other 20th century war, because the motives of the aggressors (Nazis, Muslims) are approximately the same... world domination, and total extermination of 'the enemy'.

Muslims have opened conflicts in their war against the rest of humanity on numerous fronts, world-wide, and show no indication of slowing down, where their Global Jihad is concerned.

My best guess is that the draft will be re-instituted out of necessity, and there will be no shortage of volunteers, either... after the Muslims do to the USA (and India, Russia, Thailand, Indonesia, Europe, Africa, etc., etc.) ...what they have done and continue to do, to Israel.

I figure that 'Liberals' will become a lot less liberal, and the 'Left' will become a lot less left, after the Muslims have slaughtered enough people they love and care about... and Muslims are not going to change their stripes, as long as Islam is Islam, and the Koran says what it says... so it is just a matter of time until laws change to confront Islam, Political Correctness dies, WWII style internment camps become popular in many countries, and the Geneva Conventions are amended to exclude Muslims, and anyone else who refuses to abide by them.

Claiming that it is one's Divine Right to force the entire Human Race to convert to your religion, and to enslave or murder those human beings who refuse, has to rank up there as one of the dumbest ideas mankind has ever come up with.

By comparison, the 'pet Rock' was downright brilliant. :)

EdwardDaley
08-23-06, 04:18 PM
Darley maybe I read your article wrong...but it sounds like you are NOT one of the leftists vigallantes out there undermining every effort that we ( service members ) have put forth. But I agree with greensideout that in fact it is harder to describe what is going on when you have never been and done that type of stuff. I do appreicate your apllauding of the Armed Forces, not like a Mr Steve Benson from AZ, but it is also demeaning in a way. having some-one write such ideaology without the experience is like reading the last chapter in a book first and going backwards from there.

I am not a member of the armed forces, so anyone who is, or has been, is free to take issue with my perspective on such matters. That having been said, I was raised on military bases by a man who fought in three wars and ended his 22-year career as a Chief Master Sergeant in the Air Force. I would have followed in his footsteps if I were physically able to, and some of my closest friends are war veterans. But all that aside, my ideology is based upon the belief that if you're going to fight a war, you'd better fight it all the way, and once our government has committed our military to fighting on any field of battle, every single member of that government owes our troops their unwavering support until victory is achieved.

I don't make excuses for Bush or any other politician when I think they've screwed the pooch. GW has made some bad calls along the way, no question about that, but at least he's trying to do what he feels is right. That is something that I cannot say about the vast majority of Democrats in Congress. These people voted to send Americans into harms way, and as soon as things started to turn ugly, they joined our enemy's propaganda effort!

They are seditious bastards in my opinion, and my opinion is based upon 43 years of life experience as an American citizen. If that's not enough for some people then so be it. I'm not out to win a f#cking award for patriotism, I'm just calling 'em like I see 'em.

EdwardDaley
08-23-06, 04:20 PM
All I know about you are YOUR words in your profile. If you want to present yourself differently I will read it.

What is it about the words in my profile that leads you to suspect I don't know the difference between right and wrong?

EdwardDaley
08-23-06, 04:23 PM
ya know, a simple thank you would have worked here. nowhere in that article will you find Mr. Daley claiming to know or understand what we went through or are going through. so, thank you, sir.

You're right as rain... I don't know what you've gone through, but I thank you for your service to our country.

EdwardDaley
08-23-06, 04:26 PM
I for one enjoyed your read. For me you were speaking from your heart and not some left or right wing side.

Thank you very much for your post...!!!

Just laying my cards on the table is all. Thank you for your service to our country.

EdwardDaley
08-23-06, 04:29 PM
Hey ED ,your probly one of the good guys but man --your a hot head. ha ha

I can live with that. :cool:

EdwardDaley
08-23-06, 04:36 PM
I suspect that this is going to wind up being much more like WWII than any other 20th century war, because the motives of the aggressors (Nazis, Muslims) are approximately the same... world domination, and total extermination of 'the enemy'.

My best guess is that the draft will be re-instituted out of necessity, and there will be no shortage of volunteers, either... after the Muslims do to the USA (and India, Russia, Thailand, Indonesia, Europe, Africa, etc., etc.) ...what they have done and continue to do, to Israel.

I figure that 'Liberals' will become a lot less liberal, and the 'Left' will become a lot less left, after the Muslims have slaughtered enough people they love and care about...
:)

Funny how an imminent fear of death tends to turn liberals into conservatives, atheists into believers, and civilians into soldiers. As for conscription, I hope we don't need to draft anyone into service down the line. The best military is a volunteer military.

FistFu68
08-23-06, 05:14 PM
:evilgrin: ATTITUDE~CHECK~F--K,IT!KEEP BEING YOUR'SELF,SON!THEIR ARE ONLY TWO KIND'S OF MOTHER~****ER'S IN THIS WORLD,WHEN THE CHIT HIT'S THE FAN.THOSE THAT STAND UP AND FIGHT;AND THOSE WHO RUN!:evilgrin:

EdwardDaley
08-23-06, 05:43 PM
:evilgrin: ATTITUDE~CHECK~F--K,IT!KEEP BEING YOUR'SELF,SON!THEIR ARE ONLY TWO KIND'S OF MOTHER~****ER'S IN THIS WORLD,WHEN THE CHIT HIT'S THE FAN.THOSE THAT STAND UP AND FIGHT;AND THOSE WHO RUN!:evilgrin:

Oorah!

WalkingMan
08-24-06, 07:09 AM
Funny how an imminent fear of death tends to turn liberals into conservatives, atheists into believers, and civilians into soldiers. As for conscription, I hope we don't need to draft anyone into service down the line. The best military is a volunteer military.

While I agree with you that the best military is a volunteer military, I personally feel that it is better for the nation as a whole, that all citizens serve their country in a military capacity... I believe that it makes people better citizens.

I believe that it is a poor strategy, to have only a volunteer military for two reasons...

First, it is an inherently bad idea to have other people do your fighting for you... the current situation is akin to having a huge flock of sheep, being guarded by a few former sheep, who have been trained to the extent that they are now powerful sheepdogs, protecting the flock. A flock composed entirely of sheepdogs is a much better idea, in my opinion.

Second... Citizen Armies, in which everyone capable of serving takes a turn, are much less likely to turn from sheepdogs, guarding the flock, into wolves, preying on the flock.

The volunteer military would always remain, and the draft would exist for those who did not care to volunteer.

EdwardDaley
08-25-06, 01:34 PM
While I agree with you that the best military is a volunteer military, I personally feel that it is better for the nation as a whole, that all citizens serve their country in a military capacity... I believe that it makes people better citizens.

Well, as I was not allowed to serve due to a birth defect called scoliosis, I am hesitant to suggest to those who are physically fit that they should be compelled to do so. That having been said, I am not necessarily opposed to a certain level of mandatory service if the majority feels it's a good idea.

WalkingMan
08-26-06, 06:26 PM
Well, as I was not allowed to serve due to a birth defect called scoliosis, I am hesitant to suggest to those who are physically fit that they should be compelled to do so. That having been said, I am not necessarily opposed to a certain level of mandatory service if the majority feels it's a good idea.

No problem! If I was writing the rules, people with disabilities would just serve their time doing something that was within their ability, to do.

I'm a stroke survivour myself, and deaf to boot, but at 58, I am still able to do a few things to serve, just as a citizen.

I know a fair amount about computer security, and how the Internet works, US-CERT (Computer Emergency Readiness Team) works in conjunction with civilians, to insure the security of the US computing infrastructure, so I am able to do something useful, just by keeping up on the latest threats, and getting the word out to people who might otherwise become victims of scammers, virus writers, and other Internet dirtbags.

I guess I took JFK seriously, when he said "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country."

EdwardDaley
08-26-06, 07:02 PM
I guess I took JFK seriously, when he said "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country."

And I for one am glad you did. It's folks like you who do our country proud by putting forth your best foot, in spite of your hindrances.

The only thing I'm fairly good at these days is writing, so I write in defense of my country and the righteousness of its cause, despite its imperfections. This I do, not out of blind allegiance, but out of gratefulness to a nation which has given me the chance to live a reasonably good life, even though I am unable to contribute in the ways most people consider to be significant.

MetalManiac
09-04-06, 04:43 PM
For some reason your article reminded me of something that has run through my mind serveral times this week. I have been thinking that all U.S. citizens that are able should serve in the Armed Forces for at least two years so they can have a clue as to what they are talking about when it comes to service and war.

Sad to say, but a mandatory military term would never work in the States. Too many congressman would complain that their poor sons or daughters have college plans, and it would not work. We already have "the 10%" in the military right now, a mandatory term would skyrocket that number.

very sad

horselady
09-04-06, 06:57 PM
There is no greater priority for Americans, beyond immediate family concerns, than to support the men and women of our armed forces, and if that's a minority opinion, so be it. I'm still right.

I agree. You might enjoy my blog, too.

http://militaryuntoldstoriesfromthetroops.blogspot.com

EdwardDaley
09-04-06, 07:19 PM
I agree. You might enjoy my blog, too.

http://militaryuntoldstoriesfromthetroops.blogspot.com

Excellent, thank you. :cool: