PDA

View Full Version : Devil Dog in a bit of a pickle!!!

crazyfool
01-03-03, 08:16 AM
Semper Fi Devil dogs!!! Hows everybody doing today? Hoping everyone is having a happy New Year and is starting the year well :dazed: Well Devil Dogs im having a bit of a problem and im hoping someone could help me out. In 1997 when i was in boot camp my retarded ass decline the G.I Montgomery bill thinking that i could get it back some other time. well those 4 years went by and i was scrambling to get that G.I Bill and didnt succeed. Its 2003 now and im going to school getting the student stafford loan, but i feel that im entitled to get the G.I bill. I tried to get back in the service but it was a no go. Seems like freaking Dr. Korvorkian branded my ass as unfit to serve cause my hearing is shot and i spoke to VA and they aint got nothing for me since i declined that **** paper. If anyone out there has any info that can help me out and point me in the direction i need to head, I would sure as hell appreciate it. Ill be heading to NY for a couple of days so ill check on the responses in a couple of days. If i get nothing thats ok with me too, ill appreciate everything that you tried to do. Its the best feeling in the world to be in the company of real men again. Semper Fi Devil Dogs and look out for more posts from me!

thedrifter
01-03-03, 10:38 AM
Welcome Aboard.............

Drop your bag........pull up a footlocker......and sit awhile and chat with us............

You can always drop in the slope shute and have a few cold ones......There is always a party going on........

I don't want to steer you the wrong way with your question since I been out for a long time....and I know the rules have change....so I hope someone with the info can answer your question.....

Welcome Again.........

Sempers,

Roger

Kegler300
01-03-03, 12:05 PM
What happened to you back in 2000 when they gave all those who declined the Montgomery GI Bill upon initial enlistment a second chance to sign up? They had "open season" for about six months for those who didn't sign up at boot camp another opportunity to sign up. Sounds like you are out of luck on this one.:confused:

Kalbo
01-03-03, 02:30 PM
Crazyfool,

Is you loss of hearing due to your service? If so, put a claim in with the VA (the VetCenter can help you). If you get service connected for 20% your entitled to vocational rehab, which I believe can be used for college level courses. Try talking this over with your VetCenter.

Bill ("Kalbo") Long
1990-1994

SqdnGuns
01-03-03, 11:47 PM
I believe that the required percentage for VocRehab is 30%. I myself used my VocRehab "bennies' and it paid for all my school + books, supplies and a monthly subsistance.

Joe Gore
01-08-03, 01:18 PM
Crazyfool.

Dont kill your self over not signing up for the GI Bill. I did in 1988 when i joined. I went to college in 1993 a was using my GI Bill it was a miserable experience. My vet Rep at the college had my paper work so screwed up it was unreal. I spent more $ on school than what I was getting from the GI Bill. When I went it was all calculated around if you are a full or part time student. What I was doing the GI Bill wasnt paying the Bill and my checks were always late it got fusturating. But I got through it and paid a lot myself. It was tuff! But I finished. Check with your Vet Rep your local unemployment office. When I got out I was classified by the un employment office as having a non transferible skill. That means there was nothing a grunt could do out in the world. So the govt. re imbursed the first Sheriffs dept. that I worked for all of my training and Police acadamey expenses. I've been a Deputy ever since. It's worth a shot. Call your Vet Rep and see whats out there. Also have your DD214 looked at by your college for credits. My DD214 was evaluated and i received 19 credit hours for my Marine Corps training. That might save you some Money. Just stick with it you need that Degree now a days.

GOOD Luck!! Semper FI!!

crazyfool
01-14-03, 04:37 PM
thank you devils very much appreciate advice especially you joe gore.