PDA

View Full Version : I Think This Is VERY Important - Please Read

wsimkins
08-02-06, 03:59 PM
I just received this email from a group of Sigonella Marines that I associate with. Since most of you are allot more high tech that us old folks, I thought I should share it with you:

PLEASE INFORM EVERYONE

Emails with pictures of Osama Bin-Laden hanged are being sent and the moment that you open these emails your computer will crash and you will not be able to fix it!

If you get an email along the lines of "Osama Bin Laden Captured"

or "Osama Hanged" don't open the attachment.

This e-mail is being distributed through countries around the globe, but mainly in the US and Israel.

Be considerate & send this warning to whomever you know.

PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING AMONG FRIENDS, FAMILY AND CONTACTS! :

You should be alert during the next days:
Do not open any message with an attached filed called

"Invitation" regardless of who sent it.

It is a virus that opens an Olympic Torch which "burns" the whole hard disc C of your computer.

This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail address in his/her contact list, that is why you should send this e-mail to all your contacts.

It is better to receive this message 25 times than to receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called "invitation", though sent by a friend, do not open it and shut down your computer immediately.

This is the worst virus announced by CNN, it has been classified by Microsoft as the most destructive virus ever.

This virus was discovered by McAfee yesterday, and there is no repair yet for this kind of virus.

This virus simply destroys the Zero Sector of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept.

SEND THIS E-MAIL TO EVER YONE YOU KNOW

Semper Fi,

Sgt. Simkins

Barret
08-02-06, 04:13 PM
Thanks, Sergeant Simkins.

DaveXIII90
08-02-06, 04:18 PM
Wow, thank you very much for informing us all about this. If you didnt, my fathers computer wouldnt last- my father gets alot of joke emails from his friends that invovle stuff like making fun of terrorists and terrorist leaders, so I am sure he would open the email if he received it- thank you, lets all make a big note on this virus.

jinelson
08-02-06, 04:28 PM
This is not new but it seems to reycle several times a year. Its a very damaging one and the only defense is not to open it.

JWG
08-02-06, 04:31 PM
I think it's safe to say to be alert at all times dealing with the internet.

Thank you, Sergeant Simkins! :thumbup:

Motivated,

-Jon :iwo:

Shrike
08-03-06, 01:37 AM
Looks like very regular virus for me, just more destructive than most others. Advices are regular either:
a) Keep your windows up-to-date and turn on builtin firewall
b) Install antivirus (norton is my favorite) and keep it up-to-date too
c) Always install new versions of mail client and DON'T use outlook and especially outlook express, which are insecure. Thunderbird will be good replacement.
d) Don't open attachments from unknow sender and even sender is fammiliar to you take some precautions - don't open attachments which has .exe .pif .vbs extensions if you're not completely sure its OK.

I hope these tips from one sysadmin wannabe will be usefull.