PDA

View Full Version : Amos hands over the reins of II MEF to Stalder today

thedrifter
08-02-06, 02:21 PM
Amos hands over the reins of II MEF to Stalder today
August 02,2006
CHRIS MAZZOLINI
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Lt. Gen. James Amos is no stranger to moving.

“I think it’s the 27th move in 36 years,” said Amos, the II Marine Expeditionary Force commander who will relinquish command this morning after two years on the job. “It doesn’t get any easier.”

Nor will the transition be easy for the Marines, sailors and families of this military community where Amos’s commitment to the fight — and to those wounded in it — will have lasting impact. Under the fighter-pilot general’s leadership, Camp Lejeune established the first “wounded warriors” barracks. Amos called care for wounded Marines and sailors a “moral imperative.”

“They deserve special care,” Amos said Tuesday. “They paid a heavy price for it. (The wounded warrior’s barracks) is a project that is continuing. Six months from now, I think there’s other things they will be doing.”

Amos is relinquishing command to Maj. Gen. Keith Stalder. Stalder, who will receive his third star today, comes to II MEF from the Training and Education Command in Quantico, Va.

During his tenure, Amos has overseen fighting in Iraq, most notably during the 13-month span beginning in early 2005 when II MEF had operational command in Iraq’s western Al Anbar province. The general said he is most proud of the rigorous and effective training leading up to that deployment, which took about 17,000 area Marines and sailors to the Middle East.

“The thing that makes me smile is the training we did when we went to war last year,” he said. “We trained really hard prior to that.”

But despite the hardest training, there are always casualties; and locally based Marines have paid a price. Amos said dealing with the casualties is hard, but that’s what being in command is about.

“It’s part of the responsibility; it’s a part of what we do as leaders,” he said. “It’s very tragic, and it breaks your heart and there’s nothing you can do about it. You can’t prevent loss, but what you can do in the future is train hard.”

Part of that training is having effective ranges that simulate real warfare as closely as possible. Amos said another part of his command he is proud of is the upgrading of the ranges, a $5.5 million project that will modernize the training areas. Some of the work will be done in a few months, while most of the new ranges should be complete by early next year.

“Besides some Carolina trees, you’ll swear you’re in Iraq,” he said of the new ranges. “They will be the best training ranges on the East Coast.”

Amos’ next assignment is as commander of Marine Corps Combat Development Command in Quantico. That’s a job with “tentacles,” Amos said, one that reaches into a variety of areas, from training and combat technique to technology research and equipment procurement.

In that role, Amos will help shape the future of the Corps, a future Amos said will involve more ways to both protect Marines and lighten their load. And new tactics that may better fight the asymmetrical and irregular warfare seen in Iraq and expected to be fought for the foreseeable future.

Amos said the future of the Marines is in “distributed operations.”

For example, small, self-sufficient teams of five or six Marines that can be dropped behind enemy lines — by new aircraft such as the MV-22 Osprey — with state-of-the art communications equipment. A West Coast-based grunt unit — 1st Battalion, 5th Marines — is preparing to train in such a fashion, Amos said.

But as Amos looks forward to his future, he said he will miss North Carolina and serving at Lejeune — and the New River flowing by his home.

“I’m going to miss that river,” he said.

Contact staff writer Chris Mazzolini at cmazzolini@freedomenc.com or at 353-1171, ext. 229.

Ellie

thedrifter
08-02-06, 02:22 PM
II MEF’s new boss ready for challenge
August 02,2006
CHRIS MAZZOLINI
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Maj. Gen. Keith Stalder has big boots to fill: Those of the legendary generals who have commanded the II Marine Expeditionary Force before him.

“It’s a tremendous honor, when you think of all the great Marines who have commanded II Marine Expeditionary Force in the past,” said the 54-year-old, who will be promoted to lieutenant general before taking over command of II MEF from Lt. Gen. James Amos during a ceremony today at Lejeune.

“These Marines are legends and legendary warriors, every one of them.”

Stalder, who comes to eastern North Carolina from Quantico, Va., where he served as commander of the training and education command, said he looks forward to answering “the call of duty” and serving the Marine Corps, especially with war still raging in Iraq.

II MEF is slated to receive operational command in Iraq from the California-based I Marine Expeditionary force early in 2007. Thousands of area Marines are expected to deploy.

“I clearly understand what a huge job this is and what I have to do for these Marines and sailors,” Stalder said. “One way to do that is to make sure the ‘lessons learned’ from previous experience in Iraq is put to use as the units prepare for their next foray over there.

“I think you train them (Marines and sailors) differently all the time,” he said. “The Marine Corps has a robust system for collecting lessons learned and turning them into the best possible training.”

Before serving at Marine Corps headquarters, Stalder commanded the 3rd Marine Aircraft Wing in Miramar, Calif. Prior to that, he served as the commander of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Brigade and deputy commanding general of I MEF. A fighter pilot by trade, Stalder has also served in a number of Marine fighter squadrons.

This is his first duty at Lejeune during his 33-year career.

“I have been here two days and I love it already,” he said. “It’s clear the community support is phenomenal. I really look forward to getting to know the folks locally. I think one of the very best parts of this great job is interacting with the local community.”

As he takes the helm, Stalder said he wants to thank the Marines, sailors, their families and all the people in the area for their hard work.

“Thank you for your sacrifice, your hard work and dedication and everything the Marines and sailors and families do every day for our nation,” Stalder said.

“It has my undying gratitude and appreciation.”

Ellie

thedrifter
08-03-06, 04:40 AM
II MEF command changes
August 03,2006
CHRIS MAZZOLINI
DAILY NEWS STAFF

In his last move as an expeditionary leader, Lt. Gen. James Amos put a stop to the congratulatory handshakes in the sweltering heat — at least until they were inside the climate-controlled confines of the officers’ club.

The reason for that decision fell in line with Amos’ legacy as a II Marine Expeditionary Force commander who cares about Marines. Removing himself from the scene assured that the troops assembled Wednesday before the II MEF headquarters wouldn’t have to stand at parade in the sweltering heat.

But before Amos and his replacement, Lt. Gen. Keith Stalder, jumped into waiting SUVs to “move expeditiously” to the officer’s club, the two generals passed the colors during a tradition-laden ceremony at Camp Lejeune.

In brief remarks, Amos said his two-year stint as II MEF commander enlightened him on the courage and fearlessness of the young Marines and sailors.

“I’ve come to appreciate them greater,” he said. “I used to get angry when they pulled up next to me at a stoplight with their bass thumping. You know what I’m talking about.”

The general also said he believed the nation was healthy, despite apparent divisions over the Iraq war and other political or ideological struggles.

“I’ve also come to understand the soul of America is very, very healthy,” he said. “It’s healthy because Americans, regardless of whether they are Republicans or Democrats, love their military and especially their Marines.”

One of Amos’ most popular decisions as commander was the formation of the “Wounded Warriors” barracks, a place were wounded Marines can recuperate together as they prepare to return to their units.

A number of the wounded warriors were in attendance during Wednesday’s ceremony.

“They don’t consider themselves heroes,” Amos said. “Some won’t be able to walk the same again, some won’t be able to see the same again. They just want the chance to heal and get back to their units.”

Stalder, for his part, said he is exuberant about taking over such an important post.

“It’s a very special morning for me,” he said. “To say I’m grateful to be here is the understatement of the century. I am humbled; I am honored. I’m grateful and inspired, and I’ll do the greatest job I can.”

The new commander, who like Amos has a history in Marine aviation, comes up to Lejeune from a tour at the training and education command in Quantico, Va. It’s his first tour on the East Coast.

Addressing the troops during his remarks, Stalder simply offered gratitude.

“Thank you for all you have done and your service, in peace and in combat,” he said. “I look forward to seeing you and serving with you.”

Contact staff writer Chris Mazzolini at cmazzolini@freedomenc.com or 353-1171, ext. 229.

Ellie