PDA

View Full Version : Bound for glory

thedrifter
08-02-06, 07:24 AM
Bound for glory
August 01,2006
Chrissy Vicks
DAILY NEWS STAFF

Doug and Michelle Davis didn’t even know if their son Jamar would be able to walk like other children when he was growing up.

“He had bad eczema and walked like he was crippled,” Doug said. “We used to pray ‘Don’t let him grow up like this.’ ”

A few years ago, the eczema virtually disappeared and Jamal began to run. It wasn’t long until he realized that he loved it — and that he was good.

The Camp Lejeune teen has become the first local runner to ever advance to the national Hershey North American Track and Field Finals.

Jamal, 13 will compete against the best seven runners in the U.S. and Canada during an all-expenses paid trip to Hershey, Pa. this weekend.

And given his track record, he has a good shot at winning.

Jamal’s journey began less than two months ago, when he decided to sign up for the Onslow County Hershey Track and Field Meet. The event, which has been hosted by the Onslow County Parks and Recreation Department for the past 25 years, had yet to produce a national contender.

“It’s a huge deal,” said Carol Trott, assistant recreation supervisor for parks and recreation. “When I called his mother to notify her that he made it, she could barely speak to me because she was so emotional.”

Jamal, a rising freshman at Camp Lejeune High School, has been running track with the Marine Corps Community Services youth sports team for the past year. He finished the mile race at the state finals in 5 minutes and 12 seconds — the top time not only in that race, but within a nine-state region, earning him a spot at the national finals.

“I’m excited, really excited,” said Jamal, who often trains with his dad. “I’m not really expecting to get (into) the top three. I’m just happy to make it this far.”

The Davis family, including Jamal’s two sisters, will travel to Hershey this weekend for the meet. Doug, who spent a year in Iraq, missed all of his son’s first meets with his team last year. For him, the experience is nearly indescribable.

“It’s almost like a dream that’s really happening,” said Doug Davis, a staff sergeant with 3rd Battalion, 10th Marines. “It means a lot.”

After training with his dad while the family was stationed in Okinawa, Japan, Jamal began to enter local races.

“He’s got the speed and the endurance,” Doug Davis said. “People always think he’ll tire out, but he rounds the corner and speeds up.”

He won a number of 25K races, where he not only placed first in his age group, but first overall.

“It made me want to do more,” Jamal said.

When he entered the local Hershey meet, held in June at White Oak High School, Jamal took first place in the mile and the 800-meter race. From there, he earned a trip to the regional finals in Greenville, where he placed first in the same two races.

Though Jamal knew he had a gift for running, he never realized he could make this far.

I wasn’t expecting to make it to the nationals, but I was hoping to make it to state,” he said. “It was my first time running outside of the city.”

His regional performance earned him a place at the state finals, alongside his 10-year-old sister, Jules. Though she didn’t make it to the national finals, she placed first in the long jump.

“I guess it runs in the family,” Doug said.

Jamal, despite being extremely nervous, topped the charts again.

“I just went out there and did my best hoping I did great,” he said. “I was scared when I got to the track. I was sweating before I even ran.”

Davis again placed first in the two races, though it wasn’t as easy as before.

“It was the first time I’ve been challenged to be honest,” Jamal said with a sheepish grin. “It was the first time anyone pushed me.”

Now, Jamal hopes he can rise to the challenge as he battles the country’s best young runners. His self-imposed training regimen (with a little advice from his dad) includes lots of protein and pasta but no soda or sweets.

That’s not to mention early-morning physical training with the Marines of 3/10.

“He can beat me now,” Doug said with a laugh. “He can beat everyone except one Marine.”

Contact staff writer Chrissy Vick at cvick@freedomenc.com or by calling 353-1171, ext. 239.

Ellie

JWG
08-02-06, 09:00 AM
MOTO!!! <br />
<br />
I <br />
'd love to meet that kid.. he better go on to the Marine Corps.. he'd be for sure a Hard Charger with those kind of running skills. Just amazing... it's a Gift from God. <br />
<br />