PDA

View Full Version : Forget Everything Else, It's Almost Football Season

fontman
08-01-06, 01:56 PM
Forget Everything Else, It's Almost Football Season
August 01, 2006
Doug Powers

We desperately need a break from the bad news concerning the Israeli/Hezbollah conflict. Speaking of relationships with Jews, we're sick of the Mel Gibson story already. Global warming apocalyptic freakouts are sure to continue until an apparently man-made phenomenon called "summer" is over. What to do?

Bad news is everywhere, but there's one bit of good news. If you're a football fan, regular season action is mere weeks away, and then all our problems will melt away, at least as fast as our ice cream.

This is the time of year when men all across the country become giddy with anticipation, and for a change it has nothing to do with the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue. It's the season when men begin checking their remote controls for proper function, arrange a redundant backup plan in case of a systems failure in remote number one, kiss their wives good-bye, and do their part for the economy by bravely pushing Frito-Lay and Anheuser-Busch stock to new heights. It's a time when blood, sweat, and tears are shed, and yet we bravely move forward undaunted-mainly because it's not our blood, sweat, and tears. Praise be, it's almost football season!

At this moment, the stadiums are quiet-emptier than Paris Hilton's CAT scan photo. But soon there will be an eruption of humanity watching their heroes attempt to metaphorically prove how much better their town is than the rival town.

Obsessive football fans have already had the Hank Williams Jr. song, "Are you ready for some football" bouncing around inside their heads like musical Flubber since just after the Pro Bowl.

When football season ends, you can sense a distinct national depression among the male population. Some men jump straight into hockey season for an uninterrupted supplication of their sporting needs, but most go into a deep emotional hibernation-a yearly slumber which this year is, thankfully, being facilitated by mid-term primary election campaign commercials.

As football lovers, with the exceptions of Steeler fans, we're also concentrating on putting last year behind us. We've wiped the slate clean. Your team didn't make the playoffs? Forget about it. That's the beauty of the sport. Every season starts anew, and hope springs eternal.

When I say "wipe the slate clean," I only hope that's true for my team, the Detroit Lions.

In years gone by, when the Lions heard, "Are you ready for some football?" They've collectively yelled back, "No!" Any football fan in almost any city has witnessed consecutive losing seasons, but not any that went on consecutively and lasted longer than it would take to ride your lawnmower to the Oort cloud.

Another reason I'm a Lions fan is commitment (in the literal and rubber room sense). In the Lions' first season in their brand-spankin' new $300 stadium, the Lions won three games there. That was $100 million per victory-that's right up there with the upper echelon politicians. Show me any other city willing to make that kind of commitment to their team.

But it isn't the wins or losses that makes football great-okay, it is-but it's also the atmosphere and feeling of brotherhood that comes with being a fan amongst fans-unless one of them tries to kill you. In the stadium, people from all walks of life (who could afford a $75 ticket and a couple of $9.50 beers), political beliefs and ethnic backgrounds come together and, alas, find that they have something in common: A desire to see the opposing quarterback treated like peanut brittle in Michael Moore's back pocket.

With the beginning of football season comes events and happenings that are purely American. Excluding "Girls Gone Wild" videos, where else can you see people put on silly big wigs, paint their faces, expose their chests, and whatever else, and make complete fools of themselves on national television? Sure, there's always C-Span, but still…

It's almost here. I can envision game day already:

I can smell the ribs cooking on the barbecue, and see the people at a tailgate party consuming beer like there's no tomorrow-because there may not be if the field goal kicker's foot isn't strong and true.

There's a man deep-frying a turkey in a gutted washing machine basin. I see a guy wearing a cheese hat, handing out Tostitos and letting people dig into the melting cheddar on his head. Another group nearby is bowling, using empty Heineken bottles as pins and knocking them down by rolling an empty pony keg at them. I look at my watch. It's only eight a.m. Still five hours to kickoff. Time to leave my house and head to the stadium.

Are you ready for some football?

:yes:

Go Packers...My Ellie will prolly append her two-cents to this topic saying, "Go Eagles!"

Mike McIntyre
08-01-06, 02:48 PM
Well if I say go Saints will the Drifter “Black Ball” me for being inflammatory? (I am just kidding!!!) Or maybe just feel sorry for me (#2 in the NFL Draft) for rooting for the WORST franchise in NFL history.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Eagles Fan! I better watch myself. Aren’t they the ones who throw things at Santa?<o:p></o:p>
Football season is just one of those great Freedoms that seem to make it all worth it. Although it is really <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State><st1:place>Florida</st1:place></st1:State> Football (College) that makes my year, life is never the same after the Supper Bowl. <o:p></o:p>
Maybe that’s why the <st1:place>Middle East</st1:place> is so messed up, NO FOOTBALL? <o:p></o:p>

thedrifter
08-01-06, 02:51 PM
My team is the only one Love, but I do have a soft spot with those Packers!;)

GO EAGLES!

Maybe that’s why the Middle East is so messed up, NO FOOTBALL?

You might be on to something there...
They can't let out their frustrations....:D

Ellie

yellowwing
08-01-06, 03:09 PM
No worries McIntyre, Our Beloved Saints can whip the Lions on any given Sunday :D

Mike McIntyre
08-01-06, 03:16 PM
Amen!!!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

“I love the smell of cut grass in the morning,

Smells like, like……

Victory!”<o:p></o:p>

Ignition
08-01-06, 03:39 PM
GO COLTS...... been through the losing years.... now the sting of loss is worse knowing my team should win its games

Mama
08-01-06, 03:57 PM
Go CHIEFS!!!!!

Rah Rah...Football!!!!!!!

are ya ready???!!!!

10thzodiac
08-01-06, 04:03 PM
Unfortunately for me I can't get into it. In Proviso High school my brother played football with his team mate Eugene Cernan the astronaut and State Champs 1950. His love of football career got side tracked unlike Mohammad Ali's career he went to prison for his religious beliefs, although he did play semi-pro when he got out. He said he'd a real tough former-Marine Captain guard in Federal Prison Ashland, Kentucky that gave him a bad time. Maybe boot camp, Cuba, and Vietnam wasn't so bad after listening to what my big brother went though for two years.

I was in an exceedingly large freshman class of 1200 in high school and over 100 guys tried out for the football team. I never thought about it, then all my buddies were trying out. Well, I made first string my buddies 2nd string. My career ending event was the Asian flu of '57 and knocked me off the first string to 2nd string. I wasn't interested in the sport ever again, maybe never really was. 1961 the year I should of graduated they were State Champions, I was a private in the 1st MarDiv.

My sports were boxing, weightlifting, wrestling, gymnastics and karate. Did you notice something about the sports I chose? Individualism, no team to hide behind (not that team work is bad). Once a fellow weightlifter likened the sport of weightlifting to "that it is pure, it is you or nothing!"

My brother is almost 74 now, former high school track, baseball and football star and professional roller skater. Every malady to man he has (illness) and he looks just like Mickey Rooney (presently) and watches football full time. Don't even bring up religion around him unless you want to be converted, lol.

Enjoy your football guys, I'll be stuck doing something or another.

SF

Mike McIntyre
08-01-06, 04:07 PM
Are you for real?

10thzodiac
08-01-06, 04:17 PM
Are you for real?

Whats your excuse genius?

FistFu68
08-01-06, 04:38 PM
:usmc: THE (USMC) IS A TEAM :usmc: SEMPER~FORCE

Mike McIntyre
08-01-06, 04:44 PM
Zodiac:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I am just a figment of your imagination. Bad dream that it is, I don’t exist. <o:p></o:p>

Mike McIntyre
08-01-06, 04:49 PM
“Our Beloved Saints can whip the Lions on any given Sunday”<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Yellowing,<o:p></o:p>
Reggie Bush is in camp. I hope that you are right but I have my doubts (3 lonley wins)

003XXMarineDAD
08-01-06, 06:29 PM
Go CHIEFS!!!!!

Rah Rah...Football!!!!!!!

are ya ready???!!!!
:p BRONCOS
ALL THE WAY THIS YEAR!!

Mama
08-01-06, 06:38 PM
LOL Marine DAD...you an' Papa...he's from Denver LOL

CHIEFS all the way!!!! :p

Arlene Horton
08-01-06, 08:40 PM
:yes: Way to go Font!!! GO PACK, GO!!:yes:

J-Ro
08-01-06, 08:46 PM
Action is Mere WEEKS AWAY!!!

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

CAS3
08-02-06, 01:43 AM
Born in CT...we don't have a team.

Lived in Green Bay and can't stand the Packers. They have some crazy fans: painting their fences and waiting all year to see what the new motto will be.

SInce infancy, I have loved the Redskins.
You think you have a bad team???? LOL

When I moved to DC I thought I might actually get to see them. Unfortunately, I was not willing to get a mortgage for the tickets. ;)

Mike McIntyre
08-02-06, 08:03 AM
http://www.igo4uf.com/images/photos/2000/sec-champ-auburn/take%20it%20in%20your%20face%20-%20Brian%20Haugabrook.jpg

fontman
08-02-06, 08:07 AM
:yes: Way to go Font!!! GO PACK, GO!!:yes:Arlene, I was born and raised just north of your location, Sheboygan...

:cool:

MillRatUSMC
08-02-06, 08:24 AM
http://www.chicagos-tenerife.com/images/chicagosbearslogo.gif

GO BEARS

This is the year...

yellowwing
08-02-06, 08:35 AM
Da' Bears? Our man Kyle Turley can deal with them like those Jets :banana:

Mike McIntyre
08-02-06, 08:57 AM
MillRatUSMC Your QB is a Gator.

OLE SARG
08-02-06, 09:37 AM
Hey man, I just found out Mel Gibson has a drinking problem. You would think they would put something like this on the news EVERY ****ING NIGHT!!!!!!!
NOT!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

Mike McIntyre
08-02-06, 09:52 AM
OleSarge:

Proof that just because you produce the "Best" movie ever about Jesus Christ it sure doesn't make you Christ like!!!

"I am not a Christian but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night!"

rproctor922
08-02-06, 10:01 AM
GO RAIDERS!!!!

:banana: :yes: :banana:

Mike McIntyre
08-07-06, 03:01 PM
rproctor922 I am sorry that you Raider Fans are going to have to deal with A. Brooks. I am glad that he is out of here (New Orleans)

Do the right thing and DUMP HIM!

Camper51
08-07-06, 03:09 PM
As am I Mama. Bronco's will run off with the prizes again this year in the West and the AFC...

Osotogary
08-07-06, 03:29 PM
Sadly, the Raiders will only be as good as A. Brooks this season. (I hate to say that because I am originally from that neck of the woods.)

maverickmarine
08-07-06, 03:29 PM
GO COWBOYS!!!!!

maverickmarine
08-07-06, 03:31 PM
GO COWBOYS!!!!!! Sorry, the first one wasn't good enough.

Mike McIntyre
08-07-06, 03:35 PM
Ostogary, I truly feel your pain. With all that goes on in the world is it that much to ask for to see a decent ball game?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

jennifer
08-07-06, 11:31 PM
I LOVE FOOTBALL!!

marinegreen
08-07-06, 11:41 PM
Read a good article in my latest FHM , about pro football cheerleaders and what they go thru, chit there tougher then the players,some cheer during games in sub zero temps,1 lil lady had broken ribs and they still get out there and juke and jive to keep the crowd up,hell our pro players wont play if'en the spoiled lil bitc**s have a friggen hangnail. Remember the 60's,70's,80's, the players had cast,sprained ankles they used enough tape on it which made em look like they had cast on. Rules change every yr, 1 player stated it wont be long and it will be flag football. Hey its still up there on my fav sports list. SF