PDA

View Full Version : Dont join the Corps

jm4magic
08-01-06, 01:09 PM
I want to know what some of the criticism you poolies are receiving from so called friends and family. I’ll start first. My father is a rich man; he is the owner and CEO of a corporation. He told me, he would be embarrassed to show his face to the public because his son enlisted in the Marine Corps. When asked why, he said only poor people join the military
<O:p</O:p

Marine84
08-01-06, 01:12 PM
Tell him THIS Woman Marine said to get bent.

His_angel
08-01-06, 01:31 PM
Sounds to me like Daddy is a bully. He wants to control your life instead of you making your own decisions. And is trying to bully you into his way of thinking.

My Mommy was a waitress and single parent. To say we were poor is an understatement. I'm my Mother's only surviving child. She died when I was 12. I went to live with another family. I wouldn't say they were rich. Being real estate agents and owning their own businesses, they weren't hurting for money. I got the whole "throwing your life away" spill. I heard about how "not going to college would have my Mommy rolling in her grave." They even resorted to "you're a female and should join the Navy or the Air Force instead." All of it boiled down to an overbearing domineering bully of a woman who wanted to continue to make decisions for me and rule my life. Despite the fact I was 19 at the time.

Tell your Dad that you're 18. And if you do or don't join the Marine Corps it's your decision to make. He had his life to live. You'd like to have his support if you decide to go to boot. It's your life and you have to make your own choices because you are the one that has to live with them.

Angel

Jsphsl4204
08-01-06, 01:34 PM
...Tell him only poor people join, huh? That's why Senator McCain's son has enlisted, too. Personally, I don't theink <i>they're</i> poor.

J-Ro
08-01-06, 01:35 PM
I want to know what some of the criticism you poolies are receiving from so called friends and family. I’ll start first. My father is a rich man; he is the owner and CEO of a corporation. He told me, he would be embarrassed to show his face to the public because his son enlisted in the Marine Corps. When asked why, he said only poor people join the military

Damm, Man "wtf" :evilgrin: I wasn't poor when I came in I joined because I wanted to do something different with my life Everybody is entitled to their own opinions though, Cannot take that away from him "tell him to Eat AD."

rktect3j
08-01-06, 01:36 PM
Some people have character flaws. Sorry.
My dad was VP & Chief actuary of a medium sized insurance firm. He had no problem with me joining. Of course, he grew up and worked on a farm. When his farming was done for the day he worked at GM putting cars together. Then, after high school and one year in college, he joined the Corps. Later went to college. Finally became the VP of the firm. Some people don't have the golden road to success laid before them. They have to go and pave their own road.
Don't worry about what your dad is thinking or saying. He has his own life to lead. You have yours.

Osotogary
08-01-06, 01:46 PM
jm4magic-
AWOL
By Kathy Roth-Douquet, Frank Schaeffer may be a good book for them to read.

Price: $19.95

Military service was once taken for granted as a natural part of good citizenship, and Americans of all classes served during wartime.
Not anymore.
As Kathy Roth-Douquet and Frank Schaeffer assert in this groundbreaking work, there is a glaring disconnect between the "all volunteer military" and the rest of us. And as that gap between the cultural "elite" and military rank-and-file widens, our country faces a dangerous lack of understanding between those in power and those who defend our way of life.
In America, it is increasingly the case that the people who make, support, or protest military policy have no military experience. As a result, the privileged miss the benefits of military service -- leadership, experience helpful to their future roles in public life, and exposure to a broader cross section of citizens -- while the military feels under-supported and morally distanced from the rest of the country. And when only a handful of members of Congress have military experience or a personal link to someone in uniform, perhaps it becomes too easy (or too hard) to send the military into combat.
Based on research and including the voices of many young military members who understand firsthand the value of service, AWOL is also a very personal book. Frank Schaeffer, father of a former enlisted Marine, knows the anguish and pride that millions of American parents feel every day as their children are off fighting a war in a foreign land. Kathy Roth-Douquet, wife of a career officer, has experienced the struggle of trying to keep the family together with a husband at war as well as the often untold satisfaction of raising children in an ethic of service. To the authors and numerous other families who are intimately acquainted with the glory and the sacrifice of military service, America needs a wake-up call before it's too late.
Best of luck to you.
PS- Magic, I found this book in our library system...perhaps it is in yours.
Gary

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-01-06, 01:49 PM
I went through the same type of thing with my dad. You know what, he got over it. Now he is quite proud of me.

wsimkins
08-01-06, 01:49 PM
My father is a Nuclear Physicist and I never saw him prouder of me than the day he saw me march down the grinder and earn the title United States Marine.

Ask your father if he can design a Nuclear Powered Submarine. Mine did. He was one of the engineers and designers of the USS Las Angeles Class.

We were never poor, but I’m a Marine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW- I own a very successful business myself with an office in Louisville, KY and Cape Coral, FL. Thanks to the self discipline and determination I was taught by the Corps.

rktect3j
08-01-06, 01:53 PM
Middle class filling up military, study says

By Rowan Scarborough

THE WASHINGTON TIMES
November 8, 2005

Middle-class youths, not the poor, are providing the bulk of wartime recruits to the armed forces, according to a new study by a conservative think tank.

The Heritage Foundation research paper found that a higher percentage of middle-class and upper-middle-class families have been providing enlistees for the war on Islamic militants since the September 11 attacks on the United States.

Researchers matched the ZIP codes of recruits over the past five years with federal government estimates of household incomes in those neighborhoods. Contrary to complaints from some liberal lawmakers and pundits, the data show that the poor are not shouldering the bulk of the military's need for new soldiers, airmen, sailors and Marines.

The poorest neighborhoods provided 18 percent of recruits in prewar 1999 and 14.6 percent in 2003. By contrast, areas where household incomes ranged from $30,000 to $200,000 provided more than 85 percent.

"We found that recruits tend to come from middle-class areas, with disproportionately fewer from low-income areas," said the report, prepared by Tim Kane, an Air Force
Academy graduate and economics scholar. "Overall, the income distribution of military enlistees is more similar to than different from the income distribution of the general
population." The debate was begun in 2002 by Rep. Charles B. Rangel, New York Democrat, as U.S. troops were fighting in Afghanistan and preparing for war in Iraq.

"A disproportionate number of the poor and members of minority groups make up the enlisted ranks of the military, while most privileged Americans are underrepresented or
absent," Mr. Rangel wrote in the New York Times. The lawmaker called on the Bush administration to reinstate compulsory service.

Mr. Rangel's Washington office did not respond yesterday to the Heritage report.

The draft was discontinued in 1973, and the all-volunteer force eventually grew into what many national security officials see as the best-trained military force in history.

The Heritage report states that median household income for all enlisted recruits in 1999 was $41,141, compared with the national median of $41,994. By 2003, the recruit household income reached $42,822, when adjusted for inflation.

"In other words, on average, recruits in 2003 were from wealthier neighborhoods than were recruits in 1999," said the report, titled, "Who Bears the Burden? Demographic
Characteristics of U.S. Military Recruits Before and After 9/11." Mr. Kane said overall evidence "is at odds with the image, painted by some supporters of the draft, that the military exploits poor, ignorant young Americans by using slick advertising that promises technical careers in the military to dupe them into trading their feeble opportunities in the private sector for a meager role as cannon fodder."

About 98 percent of all enlistees from 1999 to 2003 had a high school diploma, compared with 75 percent of nonrecruits nationwide.

"In an education context, rather than attracting underprivileged young Americans, the military seems to be attracting above-average Americans," Mr. Kane wrote.

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...3124-8563r.htm

fiasco1371
08-01-06, 01:57 PM
Who profits from the toil of the poor? There was a time in this country when military service held great social prestige and most "rich" people had served at one time or another and would be ashamed of a son of appropriate age that did not or would not enlist or take a commission. Remind daddy of the great men that founded this country. And tell him this Marine said to get bent, too.

JWG
08-01-06, 02:32 PM
Poor.. rich.. middle-class.. all mean nothing to me.

BUT.. I'd trust a poor... HUMBLE... man WAY before a rich SNOB.

(Not all "rich" people are snobs.. by any means. But there is a big percentage of them.)

I pray for you're father.. but you know what? **** 'em.. ok? You join the Corps.. you wanna reason to tell him?

Ask him if he likes his pockets bulged. Ask him if he likes having a head on his body.. or going day by day without a turban or bowing down to Allah each day at a certain time.

If he likes not having FREE WILL and FREEDOM.. then by all means, let him not like it.. but you tell him YOU like all of that FREEDOM.. and you're willing to be a BIGGER MAN and a more HONORABLE person to stand up and serve for that FREEDOM that gives him the right to be wealthy and say **** like that.

STAY MOTO, BROTHER!!

Motivated,

-Jon

wsimkins
08-01-06, 03:01 PM
Again, the teenage mind of JWG brings wisdom and encouragement.

You go brother! :beer:

Semper Fi,

Sgt. Simkins

kovanfleet
08-01-06, 03:07 PM
The criticism i get is not from family or friends its from the Marines i know. They all say its a big mistake and i should go back to college or be a poge when i get in. Most of them cant stand being in and count the days until there out, but i have a feeling it has something to do with them enlisting before 9/11 and getting sent to war a few times.

Lithium
08-01-06, 03:09 PM
Wow, no offense but your father is ignorant. My grandma and grandpa are "rich" and had that sort of attitude when I first made my decision. But since they now know that they cannot convince me to go to college, they are happy as long as I think I made the right choice (which I did).

He said he would be ashamed of you? :sick: Honestly, a father should never be ashamed of his son, because he raised you to what you are.

Ironrider
08-01-06, 03:33 PM
I live in Las Vegas, and I was involved with a rich woman, that had rich friends. They rather looked down on me because I'm a cop. The thought struck me one day, that if I hit 'mega-bucks' I could buy my way into their life style....disgusting thought.

However, no amount of money could buy them what I am..that has to earned.

And all of a sudden..I felt rather bad for them :marine:

outlaw3179
08-01-06, 03:36 PM
Your dads a pussy.

K8 Mac
08-01-06, 03:52 PM
My dad had some insecurities that he had to deal with when it came to my decision but now he is so proud. He had gone out and bought lots a Marine Corps stuff and wishes me the best. Most of my criticism has been from friends. Most of my friends plan to join the military as well, it is the ones that don’t plan to join that don’t seem to understand. A lot of people don’t see that it is a choice not a last resort for the majority of those who join. I could have and originally planned to go to college, but decided that enlisting in the Corps was better. I just say that it is the only thing I can see myself doing, loving, and making a difference all at the same time. Most people get over the fact that you chose what you chose and see that the Marine Corps and the military in general is a great thing that should a person should be proud of.
Good luck with your dad, i really hope things go well for you.

Camper51
08-01-06, 04:08 PM
K8 Mac, the best thing is...... You can still go to college while in the Corps, so you actually get the best of both worlds.

jm4magic, the only person whose opinion you should be concerned about is yourself. You are an adult and a man, now act like it and do what is in your heart, not someone elses...

quillhill
08-01-06, 04:18 PM
It's clear your dad needs an education in the military, especially the proud heritage and tradition of the Marine Corps. And that's why I love this site. There are many Marines here who came from a variety of backgrounds as well as Poolees who enlisted to serve. And so what if some people enlist to escape poverty and do something with their lives? Isn't that what America is all about? Opporunity to do better in life, regardless of where you start off?
Print up those articles that were posted here in the thread and show that to your dad. And hopefully some more statistics and anecdotal evidence of the kind of people who serve will be posted, too.

All I can say is my grandfather was a Marine and I couldn't be prouder of him and the eight years he gave to his country, the willingness to fight for freedom and all the rights and priveliges your dad unfortunately takes for granted.

I could write a novel about all the people I know who have served in the military who have gone on to great things and come from a variety of backgrounds. The military is not about socio-economic status. It is about service to your country, about patriotism, about protecting and defending the ideals we as Americans hold dear.

wsimkins
08-01-06, 04:41 PM
The criticism i get is not from family or friends its from the Marines i know. They all say its a big mistake and i should go back to college or be a poge when i get in. Most of them cant stand being in and count the days until there out, but i have a feeling it has something to do with them enlisting before 9/11 and getting sent to war a few times.

And how many Marines might that be that you know? Probably 1 or 2. They are what we call Sh*t Birds in the Corps! They probably joined for the money or had a worthless recruiter that sold them on the technical aspects of their MOS. These recruiters exist and they will say anything to fill their quotas and not get a bad FitRep.

When I joined the Corps our country was not at war! When the sh*t hit the fan in Beirut I was quick to volunteer for deployment! Even though I had joined for a technical MOS, I still wanted the chance to go romp some raghead A**!

When we were evacuating several Embassies in Monrovia, Liberia during their revolution in 1990 I was a Sergeant of Marines and had troops that would wine and complain. They said they joined the Corps during peace time to earn the money for college. I simply told them they should've joined the Army or Navy. In the Corps you represent God & Country. USMC - U Signed The M-F'in Contract, shut up and fight! The same with the Sh*t Birds you know... What they need is a real good blanket party.

Associate yourself with real Marines and you will be a real Marine one day. Associate yourself with sh*tbirds and you will become one.

That's all I have to say! :mad:

Semper Fi,

Sgt. Simkins

JWG
08-01-06, 05:00 PM
Wes:

Wow, my friend.. a GREAT post! No truer words.. good advice. I've met a few "****-birds" as well. Him and another buddy of mine are over in Iraq right now.. shipped a couple weeks back. GOD Bless 'Em!

Motivated,

-Jon :iwo:

And how many Marines might that be that you know? Probably 1 or 2. They are what we call Sh*t Birds in the Corps! They probably joined for the money or had a worthless recruiter that sold them on the technical aspects of their MOS. These recruiters exist and they will say anything to fill their quotas and not get a bad FitRep.

When I joined the Corps our country was not at war! When the sh*t hit the fan in Beirut I was quick to volunteer for deployment! Even though I had joined for a technical MOS, I still wanted the chance to go romp some raghead A**!

When we were evacuating several Embassies in Monrovia, Liberia during their revolution in 1990 I was a Sergeant of Marines and had troops that would wine and complain. They said they joined the Corps during peace time to earn the money for college. I simply told them they should've joined the Army or Navy. In the Corps you represent God & Country. USMC - U Signed The M-F'in Contract, shut up and fight! The same with the Sh*t Birds you know... What they need is a real good blanket party.

Associate yourself with real Marines and you will be a real Marine one day. Associate yourself with sh*tbirds and you will become one.

Semper Fi,

Sgt. Simkins

kovanfleet
08-01-06, 05:03 PM

Semper Fi,

Sgt. Simkins

I agree with you totaly Sergent i know 3 Marines personaly that say that and i meet one on myspace who has told me that. The 3 I know personaly are good guys they just dont seem motivated at all and i think they joined becuase they didnt have much elese to do after high school. I dont argue with them when i get that from them becuase i havent been there yet but, i plan to stay motovated and work hard throughout my career in the Marine Corps whether its 4, 20 or more years.

kovanfleet
08-01-06, 05:03 PM
Sorry duplicate.

Barret
08-01-06, 05:07 PM
I agree with wsimkins. For every 1 Marine you will meet that is another Anthony Swofford, you will meet 100 that will always love the Corps forever.

JWG
08-01-06, 05:08 PM
Jameel:

I want to stress.. although I, and others may have said some rather nasty things about your father.. you MUST realize, there is nothing against you or anything you should be ashamed of.

You are a very HONORABLE and COURAGEOUS young man for deciding to serve your Country and (your soon-to-be) Corps!

Like I always say.. and feel.. God Bless ya.. and everyone like you. Poolees, Wannabe's, and MARINES alike.. GOD BLESS YA!

Stay Motivated, you got the Marine Corps on your side.. always remember that!! :evilgrin:

You're a Poolee of Leatherneck.com .. you have no worries.. stay Motivated and stick to the GOAL!

Motivated,

wsimkins
08-01-06, 05:12 PM
I agree with you totaly Sergent i know 3 Marines personaly that say that and i meet one on myspace who has told me that. The 3 I know personaly are good guys they just dont seem motivated at all and i think they joined becuase they didnt have much elese to do after high school.

Tell'em to go flip burgers at McDonalds! Sounds like that's all their good for anyways! I love my Corps, tell'em don't bad mouth my Corps! To me they aren't worth a sh*t.

Thanks Jon. Keep your mind in the right place. The ones that bad mouth the Corps will more than likely miss it when they get out. Civilian life is a drag!

Semper Fi,

Sgt. Simkins

wsimkins
08-01-06, 05:15 PM
Jameel,

Your Father will come around. He loves you I'm sure and once he gets over the shell shock will support you 100%.

Semper Fi,

Sgt. Simkins

jm4magic
08-01-06, 06:37 PM
whoa whoa this isnt about me, lol I beleive I wrote "I want to know what some of the criticism you poolies are receiving from so called friends and family" thanks alot for the comments though. The only thing my dad gave me was life.

Brooklyn
08-01-06, 06:42 PM
I make a whole lot more money now then I will as a PVT in the Corps. My reasons for joining have nothing to do with monetary gain. If I wanted to join the military for money I'd join the Army and get a part of their billion dollar enlistment bonus program.

I have a lot of ppl that make stupid comments about me joining, but as my sig. says, "Until they kill me" I'll do what I want. **** em!

Poskew
08-01-06, 07:01 PM
My parents are pretty damn proud of me and money wasn't a problem either in my family on both sides (divorced parents). My father owns all the Outback Steak Houses in Alabama and part of Floride and the moms owns a real estate firm. I joined because I want to do something and be something. I want to be a Marine and nothing else. I want to fight and be proud. I could care less the money they pay me. Hell I'd prolly do it for free. If I wanted money I would have joined the Army for thier enlistment bonus. I joined up for infantry and I'm **** excited about it. I can't even begin to *imagine*what it feels like to know that your part of the best fighting force in the world. When people hear oh he/she is a Marine they are like damn that is a good man/woman. I just don't see how life could get much better once your a Marine. I'm day dreaming as I speak. :banana:

Pvt. Pile.... I mean poolee Poske

wsimkins
08-01-06, 07:07 PM
whoa whoa this isnt about me, lol I beleive I wrote "I want to know what some of the criticism you poolies are receiving from so called friends and family" thanks alot for the comments though. The only thing my dad gave me was life.

Some of the comments made above are a little off track but most are in line with your original post. Comments made to others besides you are annotated accordingly.

Your father's statement did however offend several people. You asked for it to go here and it has. Don't bow out now. Think about what you said originally to get these fine "Poor" folks fired up.....Maybe next time you should just phrase it a little different and simply ask what others are going through. You know, maybe leave the statement your father made out. Just food for future thought.

Semper Fi,

Sgt. Simkins

wsimkins
08-01-06, 07:09 PM
My parents are pretty damn proud of me and money wasn't a problem either in my family on both sides (divorced parents). My father owns all the Outback Steak Houses in Alabama and part of Floride and the moms owns a real estate firm. I joined because I want to do something and be something. I want to be a Marine and nothing else. I want to fight and be proud. I could care less the money they pay me. Hell I'd prolly do it for free. If I wanted money I would have joined the Army for thier enlistment bonus. I joined up for infantry and I'm **** excited about it. I can't even begin to *imagine*what it feels like to know that your part of the best fighting force in the world. When people hear oh he/she is a Marine they are like damn that is a good man/woman. I just don't see how life could get much better once your a Marine. I'm day dreaming as I speak. :banana:

Pvt. Pile.... I mean poolee Poske

My favorite restaurant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poskew
08-01-06, 07:17 PM
hey buddy private message me with your address if you want some free outback gift cards from your favorite poolee :)

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-01-06, 08:40 PM
Kovan, it doesn't have anything to do with getting sent to a war they weren't expecting. Marines complain about the Marine Corps all the time, it is part of what they do. I mean, if everyone loved it, nobody would ever want to get out.

Remember, if a Marine isn't B!tching he ain't happy!

Curt Geezus
08-01-06, 11:28 PM
The only criticism I get is from my friends in the Air Force(like I care what they say) and people who have no idea what they are talking about. The first people say when I tell them I am joining the Marines is "why"? Then I ask them WHY NOT?? It usually has something to do with not getting shot.

Its very ignorant and very annoying.

mid-momarinemom
08-02-06, 12:01 AM
One point of view here..... do you want to be a leader or a follower? Its your life....so decide what it is that you want to do. It may not be what others want from their life and they may not be happy being a marine but that is them. Who lives your life? College doesn't always mean that your life will be better. I work right along with others that have a college degree,in which I don't have one but I make the same amount of money. You have to decide what is right for you.... inspite of friends and your parents. Good luck in making the right choice for you!

iamcloudlander
08-02-06, 12:59 AM
When I joined the Marine Corps in 1964 everyone was proud of me as "It takes a real man to be Marine" my parents gave me all their blessings. The only excuse to not join was from future sailors in that "why sleep in the mud".

WannabeDevildog
08-02-06, 01:12 AM
I come from what you would call a middle-class family. We're definately not rich, but the good Lord has blessed us and always provided. Both my parents work for Northrup Grumman. They get a lo t of military contracts and there's tons of ex-military employees there. My own dad served in the Army. I told them I wanted to join and they were really supportive. Because I scored an 80 on the ASVAB and nearly finished a whole year of college in high school, they assumed I would get into a "safe" job. Ya know, "In the rear with the gear". When I told them I wanted to join the Corps and go infantry (or light armored recon because they are the only two MOS available to Utah reservists) they totally backed out. "Just go to college." "They're gonna send you to the 'sandbox' and you'll get your ass shot off!" "I know a few Marines and they're all nuts! We don't wnat you to join the Marines, you'll come back a cold-blooded killer." I was even asked "What the hell's wrong with you!?" a couple of times.
But it doesn't really matter what they thought because I know in my heaart of hearts this is what I want to do. And no one will be able to convince me otherwise. I've looked into other branches but none of it.... "fits" I guess, like the Marines do. Yeah the Army has thousands of dollars in bonuses, but I would'nt trade a million bucks for the Honor, History, Tradition, and Esteem the Corps has.
To make a long story short jm4, I know what you're goin' through. But try to remember the main reason our parents give us static is because they don't want to see us come home in a box, which is understandable. And take it from these Marines, some of their parents were'nt too happy either, but I know for a fact that when your dad sees you graduate and realizes what a man you've become, he will be damn proud of you.

Marusak
08-02-06, 02:00 AM
For me from the family it was "Your going to die or get maimed."

From my friends who are Marines "Well miss you untill your back" (all in the Reserves, I will be going Active.)

In the end my Dad sumed it up with. "If you join the Marine Corps, they will make a man outa you. I just wish you wern't signing up during war time."

Sucks to get get static when you go to your closest family and say that you are going to defend their freedom. Hope your Dad turns around.

JWG
08-02-06, 06:38 AM
GOD BLESS of ya'll

You all are TRULY HONORABLE people. Stick to your GOALS and we all will make it back with that Eagle, Globe, and Anchor someday..

Can I get a MOTO!!!?!??

Motivated,

David Jameson
08-02-06, 07:20 AM
I never could understand that type of thinking.With no disrepect to the Guy (your .dad)he&quot;s wrong. Its a mostly middle class military.Most guys in my generation went into the service because thier...

TOPBOWERS
08-02-06, 07:59 AM
This comes from an old salty Master Sergeant, who spent plenty of time on recruiting. It sounds like your father might be a little jealous of who you will become. You know that there are only two types of people in this world, Marines and those who wish they were. We can not be bought or sold or loaned. This reality really gets to those who have money and have never served.

Semper Fi,

Top Bowers

yellowwing
08-02-06, 08:05 AM
The nephew of Sen. Max Baucus has become a casualty:

Cpl. Phillip E. Baucus, 28, of Wolf Creek, Mont., died July 29 while conducting combat operations in Al Anbar province, Iraq. He was assigned to 3rd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Twentynine Palms, Calif.

Osotogary
08-02-06, 08:24 AM
My father is a rich man; he is the owner and CEO of a corporation. He told me, he would be embarrassed to show his face to the public because his son enlisted in the Marine Corps. When asked why, he said only poor people join the military

If your father is an owner and a CEO of a corporation you know that he has access to global information via industry related news flashes and briefings on any subject matter that relates to his business - that's a no brainer. You also have to know that he may get his global information before alot of other folks do. I'm sure that your father is a very intelligent and well read individual who cannot, for business sake, live in a vacuum.
My take is that was being "protective" ("protective'" might fall under the guise of "control") of you. Maybe he had other plans for you, as parents often do, and you threw the big monkey wrench into how he thought your life's direction you should be going. Maybe the,"only poor people join the military" statement was bluster. See if you can get past that and get to the heart of the matter. I'm sure that he doesn't want to see you in a situation the might be physically harmful to not only you but also himself, emotionally.
If you have your heart, mind and soul set on becoming a United States Marine and are willing to make sacrifices to become one, by all means go full bore and strive to make tour dream a reality but if you want to become a Marine for the sake or in spite of someone else...you won't be true to yourself.
Good luck to you.
Gary

rktect3j
08-02-06, 08:32 AM
I got only one negative comment when I enlisted. My friend who had signed up in the Army said something like, "You must be crazy." After I went thru boot camp and he went into basic training he had nothing but positive things to say about the Corps and those who are serving in it. He always said he knew it took a whole lot more to become a Marine then it did to be an Army dog. My wife, who served in the Army, has also said these types of things and after she graduated basic training always wished that she had gone into the Marines.

jinelson
08-02-06, 08:48 AM
by yellowwing - Cpl. Phillip E. Baucus, 28, of Wolf Creek, Mont., died July 29 while conducting combat operations in Al Anbar province, Iraq. He was assigned to 3rd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Twentynine Palms, Calif.

My heart and prayers go out to the Senator and his entire family in their hour of grief. I also ask the heavenly father to watch over the Marines of 3rd LAR until they return home to us in early October. For those who dont know 3rd LAR has suffered 4 KIA and I assume several WIA in the last few days. We have two members that we all watched grow from Poolees to Marines serving with 3rd LAR and it sounds like they can use all of our thoughts and prayers at this time.

Semper Fi

Jim

JWG
08-02-06, 08:53 AM
My heart and prayers go out to the Senator and his entire family in their hour of grief. I also ask the heavenly father to watch over the Marines of 3rd LAR until they return home to us in early October. For those who dont know 3rd LAR has suffered 4 KIA and I assume several WIA in the last few days. We have two members that we all watched grow from Poolees to Marines serving with 3rd LAR and it sounds like they can use all of our thoughts and prayers at this time.

Semper Fi

Jim

:flag:Those prayers and thoughts are on their way.. God Bless 'Em! :flag:

Motivated,

pscolvin
08-02-06, 09:57 AM
I'm a mom of a Marine in the 3rd LAR. I want to thank all of you for your prayers for our sons. My heart breaks for the families of the 4 young heros and we pray that they find the strength to get through this. I haven't heard from my son for a couple of weeks, but I understand that no news is good news.

Mike McIntyre
08-02-06, 10:21 AM
Our prayers are with you and all your son's unit. The Few, the Proud, the Blessed.

JWG
08-02-06, 10:28 AM
I'm a mom of a Marine in the 3rd LAR. I want to thank all of you for your prayers for our sons. My heart breaks for the families of the 4 young heros and we pray that they find the strength to get through this. I haven't heard from my son for a couple of weeks, but I understand that no news is good news.

You are VERY WELCOME. There is no need to thank us, though, Ma'am. Your son is a Marine.. and I am a Wannabe Marine.. there are many fellow Wananbe's and Pool(ee)'s who are striving to become what your Son has become.. a MARINE.

Your son, being a Marine, I consider him a future Brother to me.. so prayers and thoughts to the Marines over in Iraq and wherever they may be.. goes without asking or thanks.

God Bless You, and your Son, Ma'am! :thumbup: :flag:

Motivated,

tkmac58
08-02-06, 10:39 AM
Ask him if he has ever heard of FDR who's son was Marine Hero, how about Sen John McCain, presidential candidate, senator. And Tom Monahan who is a multi millionaire, former Marine and his son was a Marine PFC, he also owned and started Dominoes Pizza, Lil Ceasures, and owned the Detroit Tigers and Detroit Red Wings. These are just a few I could go on and talk about Fortune 500 companies etc.. Let your Dad know that the Corps only makes you better.

TKMAC58

tkmac58
08-02-06, 10:40 AM
Ask him if he has ever heard of FDR who's son was Marine Hero, how about Sen John McCain, presidential candidate, senator. And Tom Monahan who is a multi millionaire, former Marine and his son was a Marine PFC, he also owned and started Dominoes Pizza, Lil Ceasures, and owned the Detroit Tigers and Detroit Red Wings. These are just a few I could go on and talk about Fortune 500 companies etc.. Let your Dad know that the Corps only makes you better.

TKMAC58
McCain's son just went to boot camp.

TKMAC58

yellowwing
08-02-06, 10:47 AM
FedEx Corporation

FREDERICK W. SMITH
Chairman, President, Chief Executive Officer

Frederick W. Smith is chairman, president and chief executive officer of FedEx Corporation, a $32-billion global transportation, business services and logistics company.

Born in 1944 in Marks, Miss., Smith attended Yale University, where he earned a B.A. in 1966. Smith served as an officer in the U.S. Marine Corps from 1966-1970.

tkmac58
08-02-06, 10:49 AM

Semper Fi,

Sgt. Simkins
Or they could of had a good recuiter who sold them nothing but the intangibles of the Corps, and when they got in the Fleet they had a ****ed up NCO, SNCO or OFFICER giving them a hard time or *****ing, it isnt always the recruiter there devildog. A recruiter is the first line of excuses, they are told at every level of the process, ie NCOIC breif, Meps, Operations, Moment of truth x 2 the hard facts od Matine life and what really happens, a recruiter becomes out of sight out of mind..

TKMAC58

tkmac58
08-02-06, 11:01 AM
I just saw that to !

TKMAC58

jm4magic
08-02-06, 12:57 PM
I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart to each and every one of you. I have to say I did not expect, at all, this type of camaraderie and love from all of you; I do not deserve any of this. I can’t thank you enough you have taken your precious time to respond to my problems. I am forever in depth. May God bless all of you!

JWG
08-02-06, 01:03 PM
I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart to each and every one of you. I have to say I did not expect, at all, this type of camaraderie and love from all of you; I do not deserve any of this. I can’t thank you enough you have taken your precious time to respond to my problems. I am forever in depth. May God bless all of you!

Hey, brother.. it's nothing. Ya'll are considered by me, my brothers and sisters, we're all working for one thing.. that Eagle, Globe, and Anchor!

No one can take that similarity between all of us away.. NO ONE! MOTO!!! :evilgrin:

Motivated,

Marine84
08-02-06, 01:12 PM
And once you get it - NOBODY on God's green earth can take it from you.

Poskew
08-02-06, 02:39 PM
wooot

Marine84
08-02-06, 03:04 PM
Noooooooooooo - it's..............

OOHRAH!

Osotogary
08-02-06, 03:17 PM
"I have to say I did not expect, at all, this type of camaraderie and love from all of you; I do not deserve any of this."

jm4magic-
I don't love you. Besides...we just met and I can't see a future for us. LMAO. But you do deserve proper responses to any questions or inquiries that you ask in a respectful manner. It took some moxie to tell us your situation and your feelings. Continued success to you, no matter what transpires.
Respectfully,
Gary

wsimkins
08-02-06, 03:25 PM
Or they could of had a good recuiter who sold them nothing but the intangibles of the Corps, and when they got in the Fleet they had a ****ed up NCO, SNCO or OFFICER giving them a hard time or *****ing, it isnt always the recruiter there devildog. A recruiter is the first line of excuses, they are told at every level of the process, ie NCOIC breif, Meps, Operations, Moment of truth x 2 the hard facts od Matine life and what really happens, a recruiter becomes out of sight out of mind..

TKMAC58

My apologies Top. Those too could've happened. It wasn't my intention to offend you at all. I do know recruiters that sell the Technical Aspects instead of the real deal. When I have asked them to have their Poolies come to the board and join I'm told they don't want them contaminated with misinformation. This is no reflection on the moral majority in the Recruiting field. These are lone individuals only. I appreciated my Recruiter cause he gave me the true scoop straight up. I always went back to the RSS when I was on leave and helped. I actually enjoyed it.

My apologies again.

J-Ro
08-02-06, 04:13 PM
wooot

What is this???

rlee
08-02-06, 05:43 PM
JM4magic, I don't know if you are pulling our leg or not about your father saying he would be embarassed to be a Marine and that all Marines are poor. I suspect you are just trying to ruffle a few feathers.

Just in case you are serious, I was far from poor when I voluntarily joined the Marines (the finest force to ever be assembled) just out of college back in 1966. If, in fact, he did say that, he is a very ungrateful man and one stupid son-of -a-*****.

You will be much better off in life if you do not try to pay too much attention to his advise.

best wishes to you and to hell with you dad.

J. Robert Lee

mid-momarinemom
08-02-06, 06:10 PM
Speaking of important Marines...... how about Lee Marvin, Capt. Kangaroo and Mister Rogers!!

Poskew
08-02-06, 07:00 PM
yeah and the spanish women you think about when listening to Boys of Summer by Don Henley and the Eagles.

ckkinders
08-02-06, 07:19 PM
That is not very patriotic of your father. He should be proud of you...Marines are the best and the military keeps our country free so that your dad can be CEO of that big company and have money. I come from a wealthy family and I am joing...my parents are proud...and maybe your father will be too on graduation day when you become a Marine!!!!

navajodrive
08-02-06, 08:07 PM
Marines are Marines whether rich or poor.
Semper Fi:

semperfiman
08-02-06, 08:11 PM
your daddy sounds like an a-hole to me tell him cpl mac USMC said so

Seeley
08-02-06, 08:38 PM

Tell your dad to suck the fart outta my ass!

Poskew
08-02-06, 08:48 PM
YEAH what the Marine said above me

JWG
08-02-06, 10:33 PM
I got one brewing.. tell him to get his jogging pants on.. I can't hold on too much longer for him! :banana::evilgrin:

Listen, brother.. FORGET what you're father says.. EARN THAT TITLE.. and if he still don't support you and be proud of you.. you have the CORPS!

STAY MOTO god-damnit!!

MOTIVATED,

teddyn
08-03-06, 10:57 PM
My parents don't want me killed in a modern day reenactment of the Vietnam War. My entire family is against the way the 'war on terrorism' is being persued by George W. Bush, including my ex-navy grandfather who ran for congress as a goldwater republican at the height of the Vietnam conflict. I share, to a large extent, the liberal outlook of my family; but I believe in service to country, and I feel that since I come from an upper middle-class background, I should be doing my bit like all the others serving in our military to help us pull out of these turbulent times.

MillRatUSMC
08-04-06, 05:12 AM
I believe this woman has hit on what bothers your father...the loss of some high moral ground and why the rich and famous avoid serving...less than one percent of their group even thinks about serving...
We're in a world of chit...
And we are not even aware...

Absence Of America's Upper Classes From The Military

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2270473&page=1
Some exceprts from that long article/story...

When the deciders are disconnected from the doers,
self-government can't work as it should.

Those who opine, argue, publish, fund and decide courses of
action for our country rarely see members of their families
doing the deeds these leaders would send them to do, deeds which
have such moment in the world. These deeds hardly begin and end
with the Iraq War — 200,000 U.S. troops are deployed in 130
other countries around the world, keeping it "flat," in Thomas
Friedman's phrase. They train other nation's security forces,
help keep the peace, provide humanitarian assistance, rescuing
Americans from Lebanon, standing ready to go to Darfur if sent,
to go wherever the country calls on them for assistance — in
short they do the complex work of the world's sole superpower.

Yet these doers are strangers to most of us, and the very
missions they do are mysterious.

A study by the eminent military sociologist Charles Moskos
shows that the population of a democracy is not willing to sustain
military engagements over time if the leadership class does not
also serve in the armed forces. Its lack of service sends a signal
that the conflict is not vital, or worthwhile. Since we don't know
what conflicts will come — or which party will be in power when
they do — these findings should matter to all of us.

In past wars — even long-haul wars like the Cold War — the
Kennedys, the Bushes, the Sulzbergers of The New York Times
served. Sure, there were always shirkers, but many did join their
middle-class and working-class compatriots. Today narrow
self-interest, a sense of "other priorities" or a misguided sense
of moral preference means most of the upper class never
considers military service.

An idea expressed by many, including many in the upper classes, that it is somehow more moral to refrain from military
service than to serve, because that way one can avoid an "immoral" war.

But service members also know that Americans will be sent to do
the nation's bidding. And we want those who are sent to act with
skill, judgment and integrity. Many of those who serve see that
Americans are being sent to act in agency of our country and
say, as the famous sage Rabbi Hillel said, "If not me, who?"

Military service is not a political statement. Democrats did not
rush to sign up when Clinton became president, and wealthy
Republicans didn't suddenly join when Bush was elected. Military
service is service to the country, and even more perhaps, service
to your fellows.

But how can we expect privileged young people to do
military work? Military work is dangerous. You could be asked
to kill or be killed. It is fraught with the risk of being sent into
an unpopular conflict, as many now understand Iraq to be. Why
should the children of our leadership classes or those ambitious
for leadership chose such a path, when there are so many better
options available to them?

As a country we have stopped presenting military service as a
principled statement. We sell it instead as a job opportunity, one
from which those with "better options" are excused. We need to
revisit our stance on who should serve, and why. All members of
our elites need not serve, just a representative number, enough to
bring the leadership in line with the rest of the country, to bring
the wisdom and perspective that in the aggregate can come with
experience and responsibility. With such leaders, with such a
military, we will be a stronger, fairer, better country. With such
leaders, the enlistment plans of young Jimmy McCain need not
seem so surprising.

Semper Fidelis
Ricardo

WalkingMan
08-04-06, 07:10 AM

Heh!

I guess your father is just going to have to hide his head in shame then, isn't he? :)

Both of my lower-class factory-worker parents were very upset with me when I volunteered into the Marines in 1967, at the height of the Viet Nam conflict, but it was because they were worried I might get my dumb ass killed.

I see a certain irony, in that your father apparently brought you up in a manner that caused you to become the kind of person you are, with the values you apparently have, but is now telling you to act in a way that is contrary to all that.

You might want to explain to him that if America is the kind of country where the wealthy people feel entitled to send only the poor people off to war... then there really is no difference between America, and the Islamofacists... where the Religious Bosses hide safely in their caves, and preach to the 'Lowly Muslim Masses' that it is *their* children who should strap on suicide belts and become martyrs... while most of the sons of the Religious Bosses are either going to private schools in the West, or living as a protected, sheltered aristocracy in some country like Egypt, or Saudi Arabia, where they can indulge their more perverse sexual proclivities out of sight of the 'Muslim Masses'.

Camper51
08-04-06, 10:52 AM
My question to you is:

Whom would you rather hang their head in shame, your father for not believing in YOU, or YOU for not believing in yourself?

To me there is no greater shame than not believing in ones self, right or wrong. A man, or woman, is only what they become, if they kowtow to others beliefs and whims then they are just a shell of humanity. If they stand proud, even after failing, then they are a far better man or woman than the rest who hang their heads in shame or embarassment.

you have to do what you believe in to be a man, not what others would have you be...

Camper51
08-04-06, 01:07 PM
This political discussion is NOT even close to the topic of this thread. Can we move it to another thread that would be more appropriate??
Thanks

yellowwing
08-04-06, 02:21 PM
Done, Evaluate Democrats (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32964)

Poskew
08-04-06, 02:23 PM
OHHHRAHHHHH

Pvt. Pile... I mean poolee Poske

thedrifter
08-04-06, 02:47 PM
Thread gone off course

It is not a political discussion....Stick with the question which was first asked.

You want to get political take it to a new thread ;)

Ellie

Mike McIntyre
08-04-06, 03:22 PM
A worried mother whose son wanted to enlist asked, “Aren’t you worried that your son is going in the Marine Corp? There is a war going on. Why do you want you son to be a Marine?”<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
To which I explained, “Take any kid. Spend time with him before he goes to Boot Camp. Then spend time with him AFTER Boot Camp. Then come talk to me.”<o:p></o:p>
You may not have a lot of money but you will come out: Rich in Spirit, Rich in Pride, Rich in Respect, Rich in Confidence, and Rich in Ability. <o:p></o:p>
With all this dad’s money, there is one thing he can’t buy, The Eagle, Globe, & Anchor.

Your Pops thinks he knows what is best for you. You need to show him why you want to be a Marine so do it with RESPECT!

teddyn
08-04-06, 07:18 PM
Fascinating article MillRatUSMC, thanks for posting it.
By the way, for anyone that's interested in all this stuff, I recommend the book called 'Making The Corps'. Although it's main focus is on the progress of a platoon of recruits through boot camp, the author makes frequent forays into this very topic.
He implies that compulsory national service, with a military component, would be a good remedy. From today's perspective though, I would think it near impossible to implement since the war in Iraq is so politically controversial.

Another factor though, at least in my experience, is that the military clashes with college. Those 'with money' usually have a college education and want their kids to have the benefit of that as well. Although I want to join the Corps, there is something that I don't discuss with my parents which is that I'm scared that I will miss the college boat by spending the next 4 years of my life in the military. I think this is a much bigger deal if you come from a wealthier family since the pressure to go to college straight out of high school is (I speculate) greater.

teddyn
08-04-06, 07:20 PM
That's a very motivating reply, Mike McIntyre, although not addressed at me, but thank you nonetheless :)

Mike McIntyre
08-05-06, 09:06 AM
This is addressed to you. I have plenty of college and my degrees cannot and will not hold a candle to an Eagle, Globe and Anchor! Do both, college will be there. Enlist, go to school, and then go OCS. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I know several Marines that went to college after the Corps. They were organized, focused, and more mature. But their biggest advantage was that they could read straight through most of the professors BULL SHYT.<o:p></o:p>
My brother-in-Law is a professor. He was an Army Captain Grunt in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><st1:place>Nam</st1:place></st1:country-region>. He claims that the kids coming out of HS are severely lacking in everything that the Corps can give you.<o:p></o:p>
There are many paths but only the FEW are Marines.

laverne 4
08-05-06, 11:56 PM
I just want to say that I am very proud of my son who just joined the Marines 3 weeks ago. The Marines are all about courage, honor and fighting for our freedom, my son joined the Marines so he could be "the best of the best" he is so proud to be in boot camp, I can't wait to see him walk across that parade deck. He wants to be a sniper and I couldn't be prouder! :iwo: Thank-You from a Marine Mom! Laverne

AshLynne
08-06-06, 01:46 AM
I work public affairs for the Corps. Twelve weeks out of the year, we host educators on the depot to show them what it takes to make a Marine. We tell them it's the students decision to join.

I tell you that it's your decision to join. Some Marines may be upset over situations that you don't understand, so they may say negative things, lke telling you not to join. Talk to a Marine who stuck with the Corps through those first years. They have a different out look because they "did their time" on the bottom of the totem pole.

I personally had a rough first four. But i knew it was in my best interest to re enlist, try a new job, and see what else the Corps could do for me.

My dad hated the fact that i joined. And my older, rather well off sister sent me a letter in boot camp telling me i didn't have to join the Corps for money for school; she would have payed for me to go, nothing expected in return.

I joined for my future.

Join the Corps if you want, but don't let your dad make your decision.

JWG
08-06-06, 08:25 AM
I just want to say that I am very proud of my son who just joined the Marines 3 weeks ago. The Marines are all about courage, honor and fighting for our freedom, my son joined the Marines so he could be "the best of the best" he is so proud to be in boot camp, I can't wait to see him walk across that parade deck. He wants to be a sniper and I couldn't be prouder! :iwo: Thank-You from a Marine Mom! Laverne

Ma'am:

I'd just like to say, God Bless YOU.. and God Bless your SON.

Welcome to Leatherneck, you just stumbled on a GREAT Marine Corps family community. Poolees/Wannabe's , Parents/Family, and Marines alike.. there is always a place to call Home here.

We have quite a few other Mothers and Fathers of Marines both currently in Bootcamp earning the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. Some parents of Marines stationed either in Camp Lejeune to Pendleton.. all the way to Provinces of Iraq.

We have Marines of current, Gulf War, Beirut, Vietnam.. even our own Mr. Cobb who faught in WWII! God Bless 'Em!

You'll love it here, and again, WELCOME! Feel free to PM or ask anyone for help or support if you need it! :thumbup:

Motivated,

JWG
08-06-06, 08:27 AM
*Double Post* -- Please Delete.

laverne 4
08-06-06, 11:48 PM
I am wondering about the graduation, when he becomes a Marine does he write us and tell us he is graduating or does the Drill Instructor? I assume the parents and family members are given enough warning to get a motel room and make plans to go there, I was jsut curious Laverne:confused:

HollywoodMarine
08-07-06, 06:21 AM
So what is a CEO but a patsy for corporate group think. A CEO side by side with a Marine? No contest! Legend has it that Marines go on to own their own companies and enterprises at a much higher rate than civilians with no service and other branches of the Armed Forces. Autonomous independent thinking creates real men. Ask Mr. Smith who founded FED-EX. A Marine. Tell your daddy to go micro-manage somebody, Marines can think for themselves.

tkmac58
08-07-06, 09:03 AM
I am wondering about the graduation, when he becomes a Marine does he write us and tell us he is graduating or does the Drill Instructor? I assume the parents and family members are given enough warning to get a motel room and make plans to go there, I was jsut curious Laverne:confused:
Its a small world, I see that your from Kingman Kansas, I just retired from recruiting duty in Wichita. As far as graduation your son and his recruiter will already have that when he ships, the only way that would change is if he gets hurt or fails a part of recruit training. If you need any info as a parent there is a huge network of Marine parents, etc. The best one that I recommend is to get in touch with a gentleman by the name of MAX BEERUP, he is a parent support rep and is very well known west of the Mississippi. He lives in Kansas City Mo and has helped over 50,000 parents of Marines since the early 90s, he has his own website and works with all the recruiting districts, he is a VIP at MCRD. He personally provides you with info on schedules. motels, and gives you allot of extra tidbits. I dont know where your son enlisted, every recruiting office NCOIC has info on Max. Max is a personal friend of mine so I will give you his info.( I guess I kind of started this because I recruited his son in 1987, although it Max who came up with the idea because he was lost in San Deigo) Max travels around the country talking to Marine, parents etc. He doesnt get paid for this, he is just a class act . Hopefully he can help you. Here is his info:

Max Beerup
8836 North Locust
Kansas City, Mo. 64155
(816) 436 - 7104
usmcmaxinkc@aol.com

Tell him that MSgt Tom McGlasson referred you, Good Luck

laverne 4
08-07-06, 09:34 AM
Hi, I must have put the wrong state I am from Kingman AZ but I live in Phx AZ now, all I know is that i am very proud of my son this is what he wanted to do since before Sr. yr in high school. nice talking to you. Laverne

pjgj13
08-07-06, 10:38 AM
If the military was for the poor, they wouldn't make too much money. Your dad probably was a draft dodger and ran around Canada with Bill.:mad:

OOOpivyOOO
08-08-06, 11:49 PM
Your Dad is an "elitist". When I joined my Dad was the same way. He had actually gone through OCS, but had a thing against enlisted men. I joined (had to forge his signature because I was only 17), and he got over it. Sometimes when were on the top, or on the bottom of societies food chain people become "classes" rather than just people, and we try to justify how we behave by what class we belong to.

wyattglock
08-09-06, 12:07 AM
Isn't it funny how overprotective and ignorant parents can be? My Dad was a squid from 64-69 and all he ever told me about the corps was how he saw load after load of them being brought out of the Nam all shot up from the fight. But a funny thing happened, I joined earned my stripes, and I'll be damned if I never saw a prouder look in my dad's eyes than the day he was able to pin my Corporal stripes on me in front of my company. He still talked about that day more than any other right to the day he passed away. I say just give your parents time and stay true to the creed, God, corps, and country. They'll come around.

Semper FI!!

GunnyK1978
08-09-06, 06:55 PM
It is a sad truth, but there are many Americans who feel the same way. Especially those who have been used to the so called "Silver Spoon"...

Let your dad know that he has the freedom to feel and express his feelings the way he does because of the courage of Marines, sailors, airmen, and doggies that have been willing to sacrifice their lives so he would be free.

Courage is not just for the under priviledged. Courage comes in may shapes, sizes and tax brackets.

Do not let anyone, especially your family, dictate what is right for you. If you do, you will live your life woundering if you did the right thing.

Remember, god put each of us on this earth for a specific reason. Follow your heart. You will make the right choice.

Semper Fi Brother

Gy K

Barret
08-09-06, 08:22 PM
Listen: Your father is probably just trying to protect his son from the big, bad U.S Marines. When he sees you squared away at Boot Camp graduation, though, it'll be impossible not to love each and every one of them.

I'm not poor, but I'm not rich: I'm upper-middle class. I've met a guy who would have had a Fortune 500 by the age of 25, but he gave that up. You know why? Because he's a hero. He saw what happens when evil men strike America, and he said"Not ever again, not on my watch."