PDA

View Full Version : Joining with A G E D

futureMarine418
08-01-06, 10:06 AM
I was wondering if it is hard to join the marines with a ged. I know about the three tiers and how they work. ( If i get a ged and also get 15 college credits i will be considered a tier 1) What i was wondering is if the fact that you have a ged and not a diploma hurts you in any way? What i mean is will it disquallify me from any fields or activites. (job of choice is an mp) Also i was wondering who would know that i have a ged?

:usmc:

wsimkins
08-01-06, 11:05 AM
I wouldn't think it would effect anything. The GED is the High School Equivalency. That is an excellent question for for tkmac58. Send him a PM and he can answer that for you. It seems he was in recruiting before retiring.

GySgtRet
08-01-06, 11:26 AM
The Marine Corps works on mental categories Cat 1, 2, 3, and 4. Within these categories there are also criteria for placement into the Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) for which the Marines Corps needs you for. No necassarily what you qualify for. Within all of that there are standards and needs for GED qualifications and the amount of GEDs that can be accepted into the Marine Corps at a fiscal year basis.

You really need to speak with a recuiter about this. I might add that you mentioned 15 college credits that you don't have as of yet. Yes those will definateley help you depending on the GPA that you have achieved. IF it is low I would not mention the college credits. I think that it would need to be a GPA of 2.0 - 2.5 depending on the scale of gradeing.

I hope this has helped you.

wsimkins
08-01-06, 11:31 AM
Well, I think GySgt. Reagle said it all. OOH-RAH.

futureMarine418
08-01-06, 11:43 AM
yes that did help me thank you

cplbrooks
08-03-06, 02:01 PM
Chances of getting in with a GED are slim. Why didnt you finish school? The Marine Corps is a much bigger committment than school ever was and you cant quit once you are in. MP is also a very tough field to get into because everybody and their brother who wants to be a cop tries to be MP first. I hear that the Army takes more GED's. You might have better luck with them.

Camper51
08-03-06, 04:53 PM
Now hold on just a minute! I know things have changed and that relatively few if any non HS grads are being accepted, however if a person has a GED and college credits I am sure that is better than just a HS diploma.

I went in as a dropout and wound up driving computers for 8 years(computer operator), that tells me that it does not necessarily mean a thing in having a diploma. The tests they give you help determine what you are probably qualified to do, and if it happens to be something the Corps needs men or women in then you will be sent to that school. Understand though that certain fields do require certain education requirements and you may not be considered for those fields if you don't have the education required. The Corps needs have to be met and the Corps will send you where it needs you as long as there is no guarantee involved.

GySgtRet
08-03-06, 04:58 PM
Come on now. They didn't really have computers when you were in they just had pretty little lights on them and a green screen...LOL

Camper51
08-03-06, 05:22 PM
and that is just about what they were, ha ha ha ha ha ha

and I got to work in AIR CONDITIONING the whole time!!!!

GySgtRet
08-03-06, 05:30 PM
They seemed to be big enough to drive, I recall they were almost the size of a VW Bug...LOL

Camper51
08-03-06, 05:43 PM
actually that would have been a small computer like an IBM 360 Mod 30 with 64 or 96 "K" of memory. our 3/4 meg and one meg machines were larger than a semi trailer and that is just the processor, not tape drives and disk drives...our airconditioners alone could literally frost the walls if the computers were not producing so much heat...

It's quite amazing that what we use for "home" computing now far outpower the computers I started working on in 1969.

wsimkins
08-03-06, 07:54 PM
Chances of getting in with a GED are slim. Why didnt you finish school? The Marine Corps is a much bigger committment than school ever was and you cant quit once you are in. MP is also a very tough field to get into because everybody and their brother who wants to be a cop tries to be MP first. I hear that the Army takes more GED's. You might have better luck with them.

So who made you the flippin expert? You can stick your HS diploma up your As*! Let me tell you something Devil Dog, I entered the Corps with a GED, served 2 tours in combat and still am better than you. How bout that sh*t. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a GED. The Corps has plenty of openings for folks with them. So stick that up you as* and spin on it.:devious:

Been in the Corps since 1991 and only an E-4. Shoot son, we got boots coming out of PI with GED's catchin rank faster that you.

Sgt. Simkins

cplbrooks
08-03-06, 11:07 PM
So who made you the flippin expert? You can stick your HS diploma up your As*! Let me tell you something Devil Dog, I entered the Corps with a GED, served 2 tours in combat and still am better than you. How bout that sh*t. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a GED. The Corps has plenty of openings for folks with them. So stick that up you as* and spin on it.:devious:

Been in the Corps since 1991 and only an E-4. Shoot son, we got boots coming out of PI with GED's catchin rank faster that you.

Sgt. Simkins

You say that you served two combat tours? How much combat could you and your computer have seen in your air conditioned room? I guess somebody had to be in the rear with the gear. But seriously, this isnt 1969 and the corps and its standards have changed. I didnt make these rules, i was just passing them on. Use your GED and computer skills to look it up on the internet.

As for my rank, I am still a Cpl because i did a four year tour, got out and recently went back in prior service in the reserves. My MOS is 0352.

I am sorry if you feel defensive about your GED. My comments were not meant to offend, they were meant to be informative and give honest analysis of the current standards and climate of the Marine Corps. In 1969 they were drafting people like you and allowing people to do four in the corps or ten in the pen (if you know what i mean). I dont make a habit of insulting fellow Marines on this board out of respect for the title. I will extend the same courtesy to you.

Thanks for your "combat" tours (used loosely) and service.

Semper Fi

cplbrooks
08-03-06, 11:18 PM
my bad, Wsimkins did his two "combat tours from 1981 to 1991. Which war required two combat tours during those years? You also seem to have had relatively few duty stations considering the fact that...

cplbrooks
08-03-06, 11:39 PM

Sgt. Simkins

I guess the fact that i learned how to read in school makes me the "expert" son.

Education
For enlistment purposes, the military breaks education into three overall categories: Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3:
Tier 1 - High School Graduate
This means a diploma, not a GED. It also includes those who have completed at least one semester of full-time college (defined as 15 semester credit hours or more). The vast majority of enlistees (well over 90 percent) fall into this category.

High School Diploma: Based on attendance and completion of a 12 year or grade day program of classroom instruction; issued from the school where the individual completed all the program requirements. zSB(3,3)
Adult Education Diploma: Secondary school diploma awarded on the basis of attending and completing an adult education or diploma "external" program, regardless of whether the diploma was issued by a state or by a secondary or post-secondary educational institution. For adult education diploma holders to be categorized Tier I high school graduates, their educational program must include attendance which is comparable to that of traditional high schools. Diploma holders possessing attendance not deemed comparable, and/or have been credited attendance based on some form of test-based credential, are usually classified as Tier II status.

The Army allows applicants who is currently enrolled in an adult education or college program, and who further is expected to graduate or attain the required credits within 365 days may to enlist in the Delayed Enlistment Program (DEP).
Completed One Semester of College: A person who attends a college or university and successfully completes at least 15 semester or 20 quarter hours of college-level credit. "Successfully completed" means that the individual earned college-level credits (level 100 or higher) toward a degree in higher education from an institution listed in the degree granting section of the current version of the Accredited Institutions of Post-secondary Education (AIPE), published by the American Council on Education for the Council of Post Secondary Accreditation. NOT all institutions listed in the current AIPE are considered as offering college-level credits. The credits must have been earned through actual classroom participation at the institution awarding the credits. Note: For the Army, completion of college courses below the 100 level will be accepted for enlistment if the course is clearly identified as a college level course and credit will be recognized by the college towards graduation and degree completion requirements. An original letter on the college letterhead stationary is required to verify the status of courses completed.

Note: Under a special test program, the Army is treating home school graduates as Tier I. See Home School Program article (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/armyjoin/a/homeschool.htm) for more details.
Tier 2 - Alternative Credential Holder
The services limit the number of Tier II candidates it will allow to enlist each year. In the Air Force, the limit is less than one percent each year. In such cases, the applicant must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT to qualify (Note: The "AFQT" is the overall ASVAB score (http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/asvababcs.htm)).
The Army will allow up to 10 percent each year to be Tier II candidates, but they must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT.
The Marines will only allow about 5 percent each year to be Tier II, and the Navy about 10 percent. Like the Army and Air Force, Tier II recruits must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT to qualify. The Coast Guard only accepts Tier 2 candidates if they have prior military service, and even then requires them to score higher on the AFQT (50 for prior Coast Guard Service, 65 for prior service in other branches).

The following programs are considered to be Tier 2 Education credentials:

Test-based Equivalency Diploma Graduate: An applicant who possesses a GED or other test-based high school equivalency certificate or diploma. This includes, for example, statewide testing programs such as the California High School Proficiency Examination (CHSPE), whereby examinees may earn a certificate of competency or proficiency. A person who subsequently obtains a local or state-issued diploma solely on the basis of such equivalency testing is not considered as a Tier I high school graduate for the Marines, Army and Navy, but may (depending upon State laws) be considered as Tier I for the Air Force.
Certificate of Attendance. An applicant who possesses an attendance-based certificate or diploma. zSB(3,3)These are sometimes called certificates of competency or completion, but they are based on course completion rather than a test such as the GED or CHSPE. A person who subsequently obtains a local or state-issued diploma on the basis of an attendance credential is not to be considered a Tier I high school graduate in the Navy, Army and Marine Corps, but may (depending upon State laws) be considered as Tier I for the Air Force.

Alternative/Continuation High School. Those applicants who do not meet the Tier I criteria as described above.
Home Study. An applicant who earned a high school diploma or certificate awarded by a state, based upon certification by a parent or guardian that the individual completed his/ her secondary education at home. (Note: In the Air Force, many home study programs are considered Tier I graduates, depending on state law).
Under a special test program, the Army is treating home school graduates as Tier I. See Home School Program article (http://usmilitary.about.com/od/armyjoin/a/homeschool.htm) for more details.
Correspondence School Diploma. An applicant who earns a diploma or certificate upon completion of correspondence school course work, regardless of whether the diploma was issued by a correspondence school, a state, or a secondary or post-secondary educational institution. (In the Army & Air Force, such diplomas (issued by a State) may be considered Tier I, depending upon the laws of the State. Occupational Program Certificate (Vo/Tech). An applicant who has attended a vocational/technical or proprietary school for at least 675 classroom hours and possesses a certificate of attendance or completion indicating such. Correspondence schools offering vocational certificates are not included.
Tier 3 - Non-High School Graduate.Individuals who are not attending high school and are neither high school graduates nor alternative credential holders. The services almost never accept a Tier 3 candidate for enlistment. (Added Note: March 14, 2005 -- I've been informed that the Navy Reserves is currently accepting Tier III applicants).

futureMarine418
08-04-06, 03:20 PM
cplbrooks
So what you are saying is that if i aqquire a ged and 15 collage credits i will be considered a tier 1. That is what i thought thank you for your help everyone.

futureMarine418
08-04-06, 03:23 PM
also cplbrooks to suggest that i should join the army is just an insult i cant believe you said that. MARINES ALL THE WAY!!

cplbrooks
08-04-06, 05:38 PM
not trying to insult, just trying to help. I hope you do well. If you are motivated enough to do what you need to do then i wish you nothing but the best. Good luck.