PDA

View Full Version : My Fellow Texicans, New Stuff For The Windshield

booksbenji
08-01-06, 08:21 AM
Jul 31, 2:06 PM EDT

Texans getting new windshield tag design _ again

AUSTIN (AP) -- It's makeover time, again, for the Texas vehicle registration sticker.

Over the next two months in suburban Williamson and Hays counties and rural Randall County, the Texas Department of Transportation and county tax assessors will unveil another version of the stickers drivers put in the lower left-hand corners of front windshields.

Gone will be the awkward installation process of the current sticker, which involved punching out a tiny red triangle. The new version will simply require the motorist to peel off the adhesive sticker and slap it on the windshield.

"There's no question this one is a lot easier," said Kim Sue Lia Perkes, a spokeswoman for the Transportation Department's vehicle title and registration division.

Gone too will be the clear border. An earlier version was too sticky, due to a manufacturing defect, and left many stickers marred by paper not fully peeled away. Now there will be a more visually appealing dark blue border.

The sticker itself, rather than featuring a faded Texas flag background, will be white with black numerals separated by a small red-white-and-blue Texas logo.

Some consumer and art critics gave poor reviews to the pastel flag, and police said it was hard to accurately read the information on them.

The state distributes 19.1 million vehicle registration stickers annually. The stickers have been in a state of flux for more than a decade.

In 1993, the state switched from small stickers showing the month and year that were affixed to the upper corner of license plates.

For more than a decade, the windshield registration sticker had the months arrayed on the left and right borders, and county officials punched a hole in the month you registered.

In 2004, the state went to the pastel flag sticker, sending out about 1 million of the flawed ones before catching the production error.

Assuming the test periods don't turn up any glitches or engender more consumer unrest, the new sticker will go statewide next year.

SOURCE: http://www.statesman.com
:cry: :cry:

GunnyL
08-01-06, 08:30 AM
I just registered both my vehicles since moving back to Texas! I won't see these new ones for another year.

GunnyL
08-01-06, 08:30 AM
I just registered both my vehicles since moving back to Texas! I won't see these new ones for another year.