PDA

View Full Version : Backing out of contract

WannabeAT
07-31-06, 10:31 PM
I would like to be a combat engineer. I signed an open contract a while ago when I went to MEPS because there were no female reserve jobs left. The recruiter told me when the new ones came in I would be able to pick one and I would get taken back up to MEPS to sign a reserve contract.

There is only one slot for the fiscal year for combat engineer for a female reservist. My recruiter and the chain of command are kind of playing games, not wanting to take me up there. They say I have to wait until someone else goes up there until they will take me. Then someone else goes and they say they're still not going to take me. I don't know what's going on. I'm pretty upset because I noticed that when I wasn't enlisted yet, they were pretty quick to take me up there (and didn't have to wait until someone else went).

So basically my question is, will there be any chance of me letting this contract run out without going to boot the day I'm supposed to go and then trying to get the job in a year? Is there anyway I can get into the Marines if I go back on my first contract or is it a DQ? Just wondering because they should be doing what they can to get me the job I want and I'm just being pushed aside. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Brooklyn
08-01-06, 04:54 AM
From what I've read on various forums, you can back out of a contract without being dq'ed as long as you do that BEFORE your ship date. I wouldn't let it "run out" because if you're supposed to report to MEPS to ship for boot camp on Dec. 15, 2006 and you don't you'll be AWOL then a deserter.

If you're not happy with your contract, by all means, do what you have to do. It's your life and you will have to live with the decision for the next few years.

Something to keep in mind, though it may not disqualify you, your recruiter probably will be even less inclined to help you if you back out.

GySgtRet
08-01-06, 05:59 AM
You say that you signed a contract a while ago. How long ago...??? Are you a graduating senior? If so you may be placed into the DEP for a maximum of 270 days. I am surprised that you don't know this.

I maybe be wrong but from what I understand the recruiter has an obligation to work with poolees in the poolee program. In other words have poolee functions pt, history, customs and courtisies, etc things that you know nothing about at this point that you need to be prepared for recruit training.

If you feel that you are getting the run around approach your recruiter with inteligent questions about the programs that are available for you. Female recruits do have a limited amount of seats per fiscal year just like the males. Females have less seats available, these seats I am speaking of are school seats, MCT seats, and any other formal instructions that you will need to have your MOS.

I hope this helps. PM me if you have any other questions maybe there is more that I can explain to you.

LDO Capt
08-01-06, 07:25 AM
To add to the Gunny's post you are also a reservist, so your job is only contingent on there being a spot for you at the local reserve unit. (They won't train a jet mechanic to go to a tank reserve unit.)

Have you talked to your recruiter?? Sometimes that is all that it takes.

Capt G

Marine84
08-01-06, 07:46 AM
Let me ask you something...................which is more important to you?

Being a Marine, going ahead and going in and going forward with your life?

OR................

Waiting until hell freezes over to go in?

Being a woman, you don't have THAT many choices to begin with. When you start trying to get a certain "job" your choices get slimer. If being a Marine is MORE important than what "job" you get - go ahead and get in as quick as you can. If not, then wait til hell freezes over.

LDO Capt
08-01-06, 07:49 AM
LOL Kim,

Yep you were an ordie, now quit hoilding back and say what you REALLY want to say!!! LOL

IYAOYAS Sister :banana:

wsimkins
08-01-06, 11:09 AM
I just want to go to PI and watch the Women Recruits! :)

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-01-06, 12:11 PM
I hate having to censor myself on this board, but if I said what I REALLY want to say, it wouldn't make anyone buy me happy. So, I will say this:

You have a choice to make. You can be a Marine, or you can sit around and whine about the way life works. You signed a contract, meaning the ONLY honorable thing to do is to fulfill your obligation. You gave your word, I would hope that means something to a person that wants to be a Marine. The fact that you didn't get the job you wanted when you signed up can be laid only at your feet. It is nobody else's responsibility other than your own to ensure that you sign the contract that you want to sign.

Try talking to your recruiter and tell him how concerned you are that you aren't going to get the MOS you want. Ask him what other jobs are open to women in your area. And finally, decide if being a Marine is what you really want, or if being a combat engineer is what you really want. The two things may not work out together for you.

outlaw3179
08-01-06, 12:46 PM
Now im going to give my 2 cents. Your going to be doing this job for the next 4 years. Figure out what you want to do. Youll go in the Marine Corps but make sure youre doing something that you chose to do. Then later on if you hate it you have no one to blame for yourself. Then you cant ***** and whine and say how the Corps. f*cked you. Remeber you are the one who will be doing your MOS for your contract. Youll still be in the Marines wether thats sooner or later but dont let anyone tell you that it doesnt matter just do it.

fiasco1371
08-01-06, 12:54 PM
Wait on your job. Getting steam rolled now will only lead to getting steam rolled later. Patience, again.

His_angel
08-01-06, 01:06 PM
My guess is the "someone" they wanted to take up there was male. You are a female and that's already a strike against you in how some view it. Not all, but you may as well get used to it now. More than likely that slot was available and could have been filled by a female. Given the choice most would choose a male though.

Your choices are not only limited by the fact you're female but even more limited by the fact you want to be reservist. You may have to be open to more than just one job. If not then you're probably just going to be disappointed.

And think about this too. You may be going in as "reservist" but look at how many reservists are serving active duty at the moment because of everything going on. There is always that possibility.

See what other jobs may be available and see if there's something you can maybe be happy with. Because with there being a limited number of reservist spots available then you may have to compromise in order to enlist as a reservist.

Angel

Marine84
08-01-06, 01:35 PM
OK Wannabe - you can listen to the guys in here and end up NOT going in at all waiting on a spot to come open in a certain MOS. Angel is right, they will give your spot to a man if they have their druthers. How bad do you want to be a Marine?

I don't know about Angel but here's wht happened in my case.................I wanted to be a Marine soooooooo bad - I didn't CARE what I was going to be doing. I went in open contract, they used my ASVAB scores and I ended up in Ordnance - now, you want to talk about a FUN job! And I STILL had to wait 9 months in DEP. Wasn't no sitting around on my pretty a$$ for 4 years either - Angel is an Ordie too - ask her how much fun she had.

How did you score on the ASVAB? Like Angel said, maybe there would be other areas that would be to your liking. Why do you just want to go reserves? So you can say you have the Title? Think again, A LOT of reservists are active right now.

And, to answer your original question...............in my opinion it would be VERY dishonorable for you not to uphold your contract - combat engineering or not.

And thanks Capt - IYAOYAS!

His_angel
08-01-06, 01:52 PM
I pretty much had my pick of MOS's based on my ASVAB scores. I didn't care what job I had as long as I wasn't stationed in NC. Grew up there and wanted to see the world. Not the same corner I'd known all my life.

Aviation Ordnance is a blast. *grins* Not that I had a clue what it was. I just knew it was something with planes until it was explained to me. I didn't have long to wait to go to boot either. I wanted to finish my last semester of college. {Was maybe 2 months?}

I'll be honest though. In hindsight I'm glad I didn't end up with an office job. Only because I would have been miserable stuck behind a desk all day.

I got to travel around the world. I got to be outside most of the time. I got to work with airplanes. {Mostly the F/A-18C's though from time to time I'd get to get up close with others. Those are other stories though.}

Oh! And we had THREE women Marines in my shop!! So one was usually on days, one on nights and one was usually on some kind of duty. If not then 2 on days and one on nights. At times us Ordnance WM's made up 1/2 of the women in our unit. And I know of at least one Marine who never made a secret that given the choice he'd of preferred men.

I wanted to be a Marine. That was my motivation. I loved my job. I loved the Marines I worked with. To this day I still get to enjoy in the brotherhood/sisterhood that comes with being a Marine.

If you just want the training that comes with combat engineering? You might want to look elsewhere. If you want to be a Marine. There's only one place to do that.

IYAOYAS!! And I agree with Kim. Being a Marine is by in large part about honor. Think another Marine recruiter will talk to you later if you don't honor this contract and want to try again later? Chances would be slim to none.

Angel

outlaw3179
08-01-06, 03:28 PM
You are going to be a Marine. You will have the honor. You will be able to claim the title of Marine. How many of your scumbag friends are doing anything constructive and giving back to ther country. Chances are not not many. So dont worry about the Honor part , because you by already saying you are going to become a Marine have honor. But how happy are you going to be hating life in some job that you didnt sign up for. You need to talk to the recruiter and tell them how you feel. But if you were lied to, then what the f*uck?
Listen the reason im saying this is because IM a grunt . Do you know how often you hear "oh i wasnt even supposed to be a grunt"..." my recruiter f*cked me" boo hooo.. you f*cking pussies. Do you think I want someone in my fireteam where all they do is ***** and whine and cry about their problem ? hell no.
Remember you are going to be doing this for the next 4 years ...it can be short and rewarding or long and demoralizing . Its your choice.

WannabeAT
08-01-06, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the replies. To answer some people's questions, I don't want to be a reservist just because I want the title. I know that I may be activated and if I am needed, I will go.There are just other goals in my life, such as college. I just want to knowck a few of them out at the same time.

Do any females know of any other cool jobs that are kind of like combat engineering. I can't count on doing this job only one weekend a month, considering there's a war going on. I don't want to be stuck in an office doing paperwork. I got an 89 on my ASVAB if that helps. Thanks.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-02-06, 12:05 AM
It all depends what reserve units are in your area. There are tons of jobs that you may enjoy, but as a Reserve Marine you are limited to what units you can make it to. But, the important thing is that you talk to your recruiter and get the situation fixed with regards to you selecting your MOS. Clearly you can get out of your contract, and some people here don't have a problem with you doing so- but if you're going to be a Marine, it seems it would be easier to just get it squared away now. If he is really being that difficult to deal with, talk to the SNCOIC at your RSS, or even at the RS.

Outlaw, that isn't a grunt specialty. You'd be amazed at the number of Comm bubbas that said they were supposed to be (well anything other than what they were doing.) I would guess the most common thing that they thought they should have been was... You guessed it... GRUNTS. I think people not being happy with their job is just a fact of life for many Marines, no matter what job they end up with. I'm sure that the people complaining in your fire team would have done the same thing in mine.