PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Talking with Parents

JeffHall
07-31-06, 10:04 PM
Hello all.

Any advice anyone can give me on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

I am going into 10th grade, so I obviously have some time to think about what I'm doing with my life. But I think, for many reasons, that I want to become a Marine. Originally, I didn't know how my parents would react to this, so I kept it quiet for a while, allowing me to look into all the opportunities that the Marine Corps has to offer. After a (short) while, I realized my heart was, in fact, set on joining. When I did finally tell them, they were, at the least, hesitant, but they were also slightly supportive of the fact that I could possibly apply for NROTC (Marine Option).

After about a year of this, I realized that my father is convinced that I am going to do NROTC, not that it was a possibility. I would hear him talking to his friends, and he would say something like, "Yeah, our comprimise is that he can join, but he'll go in through ROTC," or something to that effect. He also thinks I am going to specialize in something with computers.

This would all be great, except for the fact that I've decided I want to enlist in the 03 field (hoping for 0311, but I'll readily love anything the Marine Corps needs me to do). Now don't get me wrong, I have absolutely nothing against getting earning a commissioned rank, or working with computers, but I have found that I am more heavily attracted to an enlistment in 03.

So (finally), my questions are:

How can I tell my father that I will enlist, and that it will be in what he considers to be a field that is under me (I am not positive about this, but when infantry comes up, I get a vibe from him that reflects this statement)?

Also, when should I tell him? Part of me says that I should do it ASAP, so that any friction between us is relieved by the time I do enlist. Another side of me says that I should wait untill he can do nothing about it.

I recognize the downsides, though, as being that with the first option, if the friction lasts, that will cause problems while I am still too young to enlist, as I do have and desire to keep a good relationship with my parents. Also, the second option says that if there is friction between us because of this, it would not be good durring Basic Training/ Deployments, because the feeling that I would not have my dad's support would be painful (...though just because I value family very highly, his lack of support would not hinder my motivation to become a Marine whatsoever. Becoming a Marine is something that I feel the need to do, and it pains me inside to know that I cannot enlist because I am not yet old enough).

So if anyone has been in a similar situation, or just plain knows of something that could help me out a bit, it would be very greatly appreciated.

Also, I'd like to thank you for reading though to this far, and I apologize for the legnth of my questions.

E5 Gautier
07-31-06, 10:30 PM
My question to you as a father of grown children would be why/what is your motivation for wanting to be a grunt when you have the skills to do/be more?

Not that I'm against it. I was an 0311/0351 but then again at that time I thought I knew it all and wanted to go to Viet Nam and fight. I caught more heck from other Marines when i went in because I joined and most of them were drafted.

Knowing what I know now, My advice would be to get yourself an MOS that will lead to a career following the Marine corps. Electronics is a high paying area with the correct skill set. My current job required me having a 3.5 or better GPA out of college to even interview. Whereas people coming out of the military with the experience were hired by my company without even having a college education and with same pay!!! Ofcourse all this means nill if you plan to make the Marine Corps a career. If that's the case, just tell your family where your heart is at.....

Luck

JeffHall
07-31-06, 10:52 PM
Thank you for your reply.

My post-Marine Corps goals are to either become a police officer, firefighter, or a pofessional martial artist. Or should I decide that I cannot leave the Marine Corps (which I see as very possible, though I'm not there yet), I will make it a career.

If I understand correctly, I can only become a MCMAP Instructor/ Instructor-Trainer by enlisting, as opposed to becoming an officer. Should I decide that a professional martial artist is the job for me, I think this would help out tons for when I leave.

Also, one of the (many) reasons I want to become a Marine is to be able to feel and see how I am helping. I know that this is possible in every MOS, but I feel that the 03 field is what I personally need to go into to fulfil this desire. Like I said though, I'll can and will serve in any field that the Marine Corps deems necessary for me.

Furthermore, I feel from what I've heard from Marines, that the officer ranks, as you go higher up, become more administrative. I want to be in the field for as long as I can be (unless persuing MCMAP options), which to me seems as though it would be an enlisted position. Please correct me if I am wrong on this thought. :)

If this doesn't make a lot of sense, I'm sorry. I often don't make sense to myself, so it's my fault.

E5 Gautier
07-31-06, 11:06 PM
If I understand correctly, I can only become a MCMAP Instructor/ Instructor-Trainer by enlisting, as opposed to becoming an officer.... I'll leave this alone since i'm not certain. <br />
<br />
As for your...

JeffHall
07-31-06, 11:14 PM
Thank you, again (lol). CID sounds interesting, I will look into it.

Also, I just read somewhere that saying Basic Training is wrong (which I did, above) when refering to the Marine Corps Recruit Training, because there is nothing basic about Marines. Should this be true, I would like to apologize for my use of that term.

E5 Gautier
07-31-06, 11:34 PM
I know things in boot camp have changed since my era. Mostly in the area of, lets call it really physical training as in if I smash your toes with this M14 you will learn the correct trail arms position or I poke your eyes out you wont look at the girls while on the parade deck or if i punch your gut up into your throat while your snapping in, you will not drop that shoulder ever again. However that all taught me valuable lessons. It really did.... I am who I am because of the Marine Corps!!! It is the accomplishment that I am most proud of in my LIFE to this day. If I can deliver ONE thing to get you through whatever awaits you in boot camp, I would tell you what worked for me..... I felt many times like I was the enemy, why are they treating me this way??? Well the simple reality is; if you can't take this you can't take war..... Better to be broken and repaired in training then to be broken and killed in war. Once i realised that, I played the game so to speak. They had my body but I had my brain!!!!
:iwo:

wsimkins
08-01-06, 02:18 AM
JeffHall,

Basic Traing is incorrect, you're right. The other branches of the service provide basic training.

Also, how about completing your profile. You need to read SSGT Nelson's rules and follow them. I'm not trying to be an a**hole, it's just, if you want to be a Marine, you need to learn to follow directions.

BTW, tell your folks everything! They may not be really happy at first, but they'll eventually get over it. You are all of 15 years old. Why don't you enjoy a little more of your life before committing heart & soul to the Corps. We love having you on the Poolee board with us and will always do what we can to keep you motivated, I just personally think you need to enjoy a little more of your teenage years, they are some of the best years of your life!

Semper Fi,

Sgt. Simkins

E5 Gautier
08-01-06, 02:45 AM
JeffHall,

Basic Traing is incorrect, you're right. The other branches of the service provide basic training.

Also, how about completing your profile. You need to read SSGT Nelson's rules and follow them. I'm not trying to be an a**hole, it's just, if you want to be a Marine, you need to learn to follow directions.

BTW, tell your folks everything! They may not be really happy at first, but they'll eventually get over it. You are all of 15 years old. Why don't you enjoy a little more of your life before committing heart & soul to the Corps. We love having you on the Poolee board with us and will always do what we can to keep you motivated, I just personally think you need to enjoy a little more of your teenage years, they are some of the best years of your life!

Semper Fi,

Sgt. Simkins

I got a little lost in my translations and completely agree that you should enjoy your teenage years to the fullest.

Sgt. Gautier

JeffHall
08-01-06, 09:29 AM
E5 Gautier:
I'll remember that. Thank you again for your help.

wsimkins:
Profile filled out, thank you for your patience with me on that... and also thank you for your help, I will tell them soon.

Also, I will take a look at how I'm living right now, and try to have a bit more fun... I feel like I've been getting a little uptight recently :)

Again, the help I've received from both of you is greatly appreciated.

wsimkins
08-01-06, 10:55 AM
wsimkins:
Profile filled out, thank you for your patience with me on that... and also thank you for your help, I will tell them soon.

Also, I will take a look at how I'm living right now, and try to have a bit more fun... I feel like I've been getting a little uptight recently :)

Again, the help I've received from both of you is greatly appreciated.

Jeff, good job on the profile. We like to know a little bit about the people we talk with on the Poolee board.

You are too young to stress and be uptight. Life is just beginning for you and you need to take it by the horns and enjoy every single minute you still have around your immediate family. How I would love to be a teenager again! When I look back I am certainly glad I lived those days to the fullest. I miss doing things with my Dad and my Mom. I still have them, but now they live in Smithfield, VA and I am all the way in Clarksville, IN. Now that I am grown and have kids of my own (6 of them ages 22, 20, 19, 14, 11 & 10) it is hard for me to travel to see them and my brothers. This stage of your life is very important. Just remember that.

Sorry, I won't lecture you anymore, it's just the Dad coming out in me.

Make sure you keep coming back here and conversing with the other wannabees and Poolees. They are a great group of guys and gals and I think you will enjoy their company. Just make sure you read the rules of engagement from SSGT. Nelson (He's the Squad Leader) before plundering into any deep discussions. His rules are posted in Poolee Hall.

I will be glad to help you in anyway I can. I will answer any questions you have that are in my realm of knowledge. If I can't answer I will defer to another Marine that can truly help. You are welcome to PM me anytime you wish. I am usually on the board daily (sometimes 2 or 3 times cause I'm self employed and can afford the time) to check my messages and read posts. :marine:

Semper Fi

Sgt. Simkins

GySgtRet
08-01-06, 11:40 AM
I totaly asgree with these two fine NCOs of Marines. Their wisdom is definately showing and it is very good advice. Be a teenager first, experience some spice in life without getting into trouble. I have enjoyed reading your input and questions. The questions that you have asked and the thoughts are very well thought out. Please hang out here maybe we all can learn something from where you are coming from.

Thanks for your genuine interest in the Marines Corps and your input.

Ray Gautier
08-01-06, 11:59 AM
Jeff,

If you have a desire to converse further with me my name has changed. Seems that the system (darn computers) were insisting that someone else was me so I had to use a different name (E5 gautier)...

Enjoy:iwo:

JeffHall
08-01-06, 05:48 PM
Wow. The amount of support on these boards is impressive. Thank you all again.