PDA

View Full Version : His tattoo! :o

Jsphsl4204
07-31-06, 06:30 PM
Okay, because of my interest in tattoos, having a tattoo, wanting another tattoo, the current USMC tattoo policy, and how this policy is subject to change in the future, I posted a topic in "Ask A Marine" about if my tattoo would interfere with enlistment into the Marines, and I'm confident it is not.

However, I am planning on getting another tattoo, so the thread I posted helped me in that sense as well. I was informed that no tattoos could be visible in the skivees during PT or any other activities with skivees involved. So, the tattoo I wanted on my left bicept is now non-existent.

Today, for motivation, I was browsing the USMC Homepage for anything I could. Commendable Marines, study habits, service uniforms, the whole nine yards. I stumbled across this (http://www.marines.com/page/preparing-for-success.jsp) page, which is an entrance to a series of web pages directing Poolees and wannabe's to prepare for Recruit Training. Me, being one to notice pictures, took a close look at that Poolee/Marine/Recruit in his skivees, in an envigorating PT session. If you look closely at his left bicept, you'll notice a somewhat-colored tattoo, CLEARLY visible under his skivees. I was informed, and double-checked, that this is NOT the standard.

So, I would like to know, what are your opinions on the picture? Am I wrong about the current tattoo policy? Is there a waiver to be received, of which he could have gotten? Could this possibly be an old picture, before the current tattoo policy on the skivees was inacted? I'm clueless, and I'd really like to know. Thanks!

P.S. - Just in case my HTML was off, I'm posting the direct URL below.
http://www.marines.com/page/preparing-for-success.jsp

P.S.2 - Due to paranoya, in case BOTH of those failed, just go directly to Marines.com, head to the site map under the HTML version (which is in the site footer, and can be activated with a click of the mouse), and right under "Parental Guide", click "Preparing for Success". You should see the picture that is defaulted as a template.

Brooklyn
07-31-06, 06:51 PM
I have 4.5 tattoos. I say ".5" because I had one on my neck removed but a bit of the tattoo is still there.

I have one on my left forearm, one on my left bicep, one on my right wrist, one on my upper back and a brand on my right bicep. I enlisted July 20th, and only needed a waiver for what was left on my neck.

My advice is, don't get any tattoos until after you finish boot camp.

For what it's worth, I remember hearing the MSgt. say that if anyone had 5 or more tattoos they would need a waiver regardless of where they are.

scbdo
07-31-06, 06:51 PM
One of the people that I am currently in DEP with has a large tattoo, clearly visible on his leg. I am sure he got a waiver for that. I believe you will be fine if you have a couple tattoos, as long as you don't go overboard.

Jsphsl4204
07-31-06, 07:05 PM
Thanks for that fine information, both of you! It helps!

kovanfleet
07-31-06, 09:06 PM
i have one on my forearm and needed a waiver for it. my advice is, sense your only fifteen and your really motovated to get in the Corps just dont get any more tats. the polices can change in the next 2 or 3 years. If i knew that i was going to enlist i wouldnt have got mine. wouldnt it suck @$$ if when you went to enlist and found out that you cant get in cuase of some stupid ink, and then had to join the army:mad: ! just dont risk it.

Jsphsl4204
08-01-06, 12:53 AM
i have one on my forearm and needed a waiver for it. my advice is, sense your only fifteen and your really motovated to get in the Corps just dont get any more tats. the polices can change in the next 2 or 3 years. If i knew that i was going to enlist i wouldnt have got mine. wouldnt it suck @$$ if when you went to enlist and found out that you cant get in cuase of some stupid ink, and then had to join the army:mad: ! just dont risk it.

Thanks kovan, I won't risk it. I was more concerned with finding the right knowledge (which was already supplied to me, just not to this extent) on the subject.

(I really would like that tattoo, though!):banana:

JWG
08-01-06, 08:44 AM
Thanks kovan, I won't risk it. I was more concerned with finding the right knowledge (which was already supplied to me, just not to this extent) on the subject.

(I really would like that tattoo, though!):banana:

Here are your options, brother.

Option A.) Get the Tattoo. Jump around, be happy, get old.. CRAPPY TATTOO.

Option B.) Join Marine Corps.. Jump Around, GET DRUNK, FIGHT FOR YOUR COUNTRY, BE THE PROUDEST MOTHER-****ER on the face of the planet. Have the BIGGEST FAMILY and be part of the BEST GOD-DAMN BROTHERHOOD on the face of the planet. Get Tattoo AFTER your active years.. and get old.. CRAPP Tattoo.

Sounds pretty easy to me. Sometimes you just need some help 'seeing' the big picture, bro. ;)

Motivated,

-Jon :iwo:

fiasco1371
08-01-06, 12:44 PM
OK. The picture on the website was taken from the September 06 issue of Marines magazine. The "recruit" is actually Cpl Seth DeAngelis. Wait until you are done with SOI/MCT to get all tatted. If you get inked right after boot camp, you'll be sorry. You still have some pretty rigorous training that could damage (believe me) any new artwork on your body. Once you're in the fleet, find ask someone in your command (preferably not an oversalted lcpl) what your unit's policy on tattoos is. If you're combat arms (attached to Division) the policy should be pretty non-existent. I have a tattoo that runs down the back of my arm to my elbow that I got after my second deployment and no one said a word about it. Patience is a virtue. Wait on it. Oh, and don't get drunk before you fight for your country.

Jsphsl4204
08-01-06, 01:40 PM
Thanks, everyone.

I've decided on NOT getting a tattoo until the mentioned time. While it will be difficult, I feel my attraction can be postponed, to claim the title of UNITED STATES MARINE!

And I'm with fiasco, Jon, getting drunk before combat is NOT a good idea! :-)

1LEGGUP
08-01-06, 02:15 PM
Good Afternoon. I Am Currently A Ssgt In The Marines And If You Would Like More Info On Policy Of Tattoos In The Corps...go To Google.com And Type In Mco P1100.72. This Is The New Marine Corps Order On Tattoos. Hope I Could Help. Good Luck.

Semper Fidelis

1LEGGUP
08-01-06, 02:20 PM
P.s. I've Been In The Corps For 12 Years Now, And Have 4 Tattoos. I Waited Until All Of My Initial Training Was Complete And Got Out Into The Fleet. My Tatts Are Respectful And Tasteful, So Remember That If You Decide To Get One.

JWG
08-01-06, 02:26 PM
Thanks, everyone.

I've decided on NOT getting a tattoo until the mentioned time. While it will be difficult, I feel my attraction can be postponed, to claim the title of UNITED STATES MARINE!

And I'm with fiasco, Jon, getting drunk before combat is NOT a good idea! :-)

Hey.. there's plently of time to drink and get drunk before combat.. just not Pre-Deployment... that'd be a bad idea.

Joseph, if you come out of the Corps without drinking atleast a 12-pack of beer.. or drinking liquor.. props to you.. I think? :banana:

Motivated,

Jsphsl4204
08-01-06, 06:54 PM
Hey.. there's plently of time to drink and get drunk before combat.. just not Pre-Deployment... that'd be a bad idea.

Joseph, if you come out of the Corps without drinking atleast a 12-pack of beer.. or drinking liquor.. props to you.. I think? :banana:

Motivated,

Oh c'mon Jon, you know they'll be going down like... I can't think of a figurative metaphor, somebody save me!

And I'll be feeling like that dancing bananna when in fact they DO gow down!

:banana:

Jsphsl4204
08-01-06, 06:56 PM
Good Afternoon. I Am Currently A Ssgt In The Marines And If You Would Like More Info On Policy Of Tattoos In The Corps...go To Google.com And Type In Mco P1100.72. This Is The New Marine Corps Order On Tattoos. Hope I Could Help. Good Luck.

Semper Fidelis

Thank you, SSgt!
Helps a billion!

Brooklyn
08-01-06, 07:00 PM
I can't think of a figurative metaphor, somebody save me!

A 4 dollar *****?

Brooklyn
08-01-06, 07:09 PM
A 4 dollar *****?

Lol..."prostitute" is a better word I suppose.

Jsphsl4204
08-01-06, 07:20 PM
A 4 dollar *****?

EXACTLY!
:banana: