PDA

View Full Version : Jump School

Lithium
07-30-06, 10:59 PM
I just noticed a question about Jump School in this part of the forum and I have a question to ask. Instead of someones question of, "What MOS will I not have to go through jump school?", I want to ask, " How do I go about to get to Jump School?".

I grew up idolizing war movies and learning about World War II. One of my favorite movies to watch is Band of Brothers. I do not want to join the Army, I am set on the Marines, but I really want to go through Jump School and earn a set of jump wings to go next to my Eagle, Globe, and Anchor.

I am aware that the fastest way to accomplish this is to become Force Recon. I am wondering is there another way to earn jump wings without being Force Recon?

I understand my first goal is to just become a Marine.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Korling
07-31-06, 09:34 AM
Radio Recon is an alternative. you would have to be a 2600 MOS of some sort and go to a Radio Battalion and volunteer and get accepted into their Radio Recon platoon. (2600 requires a Top Secret clearance though so you would first of all need to be able to get a clearance and get accepted into one of those MOSs, preferably a 2621 Morse Op or 267x linguist if you want Radio Recon.

ssgtt32
07-31-06, 01:58 PM
You can also become a 0451 Air Delivery Marine, do not know the MOS for Rigger, but they too are jump qualified, since too be a rigger you have to jump your own chute!:scared:

Maurice

outlaw3179
07-31-06, 02:06 PM
Most grunts will never have the opportunity to go to school in their first enlistment. I know a few Marines who in their second contract it was guaranteed for them to attend school and then go on to whatever they were going to do. Then again Ive seen a few cooks, and a couple of admin guys sporting wings so I guess anyone can go it just depends on whats school slots open up and who jumps on them first.

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-01-06, 12:58 PM
ANGLICO, learn it, love it, live it.

HollywoodMarine
08-07-06, 06:10 AM
So tell me now. does parachuting in anywhere, have a value anymore?

DWG
08-07-06, 06:40 AM
So tell me now. does parachuting in anywhere, have a value anymore?
Target practice for ground pounders!

wharfrat
11-13-06, 10:52 PM
great chicks at sky-dive centers

FistFu68
11-14-06, 06:36 AM
:evilgrin: HIGH ALTITUDE, LOW OPENING;(HALO) OR HIGH ALTITUDE,HIGH OPENING;(HAHO) NIGHT JUMP'S ARE THE MILITARY'S MOST CLANDESTINE WAY OF INSERTION!WHEN ARMED WITH A (MK-54-SADM) ONE FORCE RECON MARINE CAN TAKE OUT 30 SQ.MILE'S OF ANYTHING~AND OR,EVERYTHING! :usmc: OOHRAH~SEMPER~FIDELIS :iwo: LONG LIVE FORCE!!!

Marine84
11-14-06, 07:34 AM
Target practice for ground pounders!

LOL!

LivinSoFree
11-20-06, 11:56 AM
It's sometimes an incentive that Marines can request for reenlistment. It all depends on what's open at the time.

Zippo
11-23-06, 08:48 PM
My Assistant Platoon Sgt. has his jump wings. And he's an NBC Marine. I asked how I could get them as well, and he told me it depends on what unit you're in. He just happened to be in the right place at the right time, which is how MANY Marines earn them.
So don't plan on jumping in the Corps. We come out of the water.

You said you want to be a MARINE, so be a Marine. Decide what's more important to you: Jumping out of planes, or becoming one of us.

STA0311
11-24-06, 03:45 AM
The term "Badge Hunters" comes to mind.

ggyoung
11-24-06, 11:51 AM
HALO school is one of the hardest schools to get into. Some wait up to 10 years to get into it. They concist of all branches of the service. There are if I remember right 14 teams of HALO stationed around the world ready to go jump into any place they can get a plain to.

FistFu68
11-24-06, 01:13 PM
:evilgrin: BADGE~HUNTER'S??? DURING MY 'ERA(STUDIE'S & OBSERVATION~GROUP)(SOG!) WOULD BE THE CORRECT TERMINOLOGY!!! S/F~OOHRAHH :usmc: LONG~LIVE~FORCE :iwo:

wharfrat
11-25-06, 04:52 PM
not when the mission requires it..if you are initially posted to an anglico or force recon unit

USMCVet1992
11-27-06, 01:48 PM
Zippo hit the nail right on the head... Do not make a determination as to whether or not you want to be one of us based upon whether or not you get to jump out of a plane. If you want to be a Marine, enlist to be a Marine, not to jump out of planes!

MGySgtSki
01-31-07, 06:41 PM
You can also become a 0451 Air Delivery Marine, do not know the MOS for Rigger, but they too are jump qualified, since too be a rigger you have to jump your own chute!:scared:

Maurice

Actually, 0451 is Parachute Rigger. All Air Delivery Marines are riggers by MOS, AD by billet.

S/F

FistFu68
01-31-07, 07:20 PM
:evilgrin: THEM MAJOR~MALFUNCTION'S & NITE REAR LANDING FALL'S~CAN BE VERY HAZARDOUS TO YOU'R (HEALTH) S/F~:D

rvillac2
02-01-07, 01:11 AM
Are there still Landing Shore Battalions (LSB)? One of my old staff NCOs was able to go to Scuba, Jump and Pathfinder schools because LSB gets a lot of seats in schools that are beneficial to advance party.

One thing I noticed that my brothers haven't mentioned. You gotta be a first class PFT'er to be considered for a trip to Benning. We had two opportunities open up when my Reserve Artillery unit was called up for the Storm. It came down to 300 pft'ers and they had to run for the tie breaker. Funny seeing cannoneers with lead sleds.
:)
good luck!

PFC: "How many jumps to you have to make in order to get those gold wings?"
SGT: "...All of them"

FistFu68
02-01-07, 01:40 AM
:evilgrin: OH & THAT EXTRA~CASH $$$$$~EVERY MONTH~MOST OF THE TIME.MADE UP FOR THAT CRASH,OF OUR BODIE'S SLAMMING INTO THE DECK!PFT STUD'S AREN'T BUILT TO HAVE OUR DICK'S PUT IN THE DIRT!!!(LMFAO) SEMPER~FORCE~10/4~20/20:D

MGySgtSki
02-01-07, 08:59 AM
Are there still Landing Shore Battalions (LSB)? One of my old staff NCOs was able to go to Scuba, Jump and Pathfinder schools because LSB gets a lot of seats in schools that are beneficial to advance party.

One thing I noticed that my brothers haven't mentioned. You gotta be a first class PFT'er to be considered for a trip to Benning. We had two opportunities open up when my Reserve Artillery unit was called up for the Storm. It came down to 300 pft'ers and they had to run for the tie breaker. Funny seeing cannoneers with lead sleds.
:)
good luck!

PFC: "How many jumps to you have to make in order to get those gold wings?"
SGT: "...All of them"

Nope, LSB is no more. They became TSB (Transportation Support Bn) for a time and then disbanded. Their functions, which now reside in the MLG (Marine Logistics Group) have pretty much been divvied up or have gone away.

S/F

killerinstinct
02-01-07, 09:52 AM
you know the Marine Corps offers programs for re-enlistment and stuff. I had a buddy who for his he got to go to jump school. There's different programs and they alwayws change and it's always based on your current MOS and if your unit can afford to let you go TAD somewhere. All in all its always up to your command.

But look into it there are lot sof programs they offer specially for re-enlistment.