PDA

View Full Version : my best advice

Messenger
07-30-06, 02:00 AM
Physical fitness is a key element and cornerstone of being a Marine. Your physical fitness scores make a big difference when it comes to promotions and the respect you recive from your fellow Marines. Your level of fitness may some day make the difference between life or death for you or your fellow Marines.

Long before you go to Basic you need to start running. Pull-ups, sit-ups and push-ups should be a part of your daily life along with weight training. The better shape you are in when you start Basic the better off you will be.

some of you will be in the best shape of your lifes when you graduate basic training however many of you will be going to infantry units and related schools and will quickly find out that the shape you are in wehn you graduate basic is not good enough. i spent a long time in the infantry MOSes and have seen many freshly graduated Marines collaps while trying to keep up wiht veteran infantry Marines.

Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate! get the idea? start drinking a gallon of water everyday one quart at a time. this will start to hydrate you and stretch your bladder. you will need your bladder to stretch out a lot before going to basic because your going to be forced to drink a lot of water and will not be given a lot of opertunities to use a bathroom. also practice drinking a canteen of water as fast as you can.

if you smoke STOP NOW! no smoke breaks in basic training, infact no smokeing at all. you do not want to deal with cravings durring an already very intense situation. also stop drinking caffeine and carbonated beverages . stick to water, juice, water, milk and water , , , oh and did i mention WATER?

no mater what kind of shape you are in now, trust me when i say its not good enough.

luck favors the prepared,
Semper Fi

J-Ro
07-30-06, 09:51 AM
Hey Messenger,
Sounds like you've read alot books to give this kinda of Advice, unfortunately you don't have alot street credentials with Marines here until you fill out you profile. I see that you entered the Marine Corps is "86" where did you go to boot camp? when did you exit the Marine Corps? What is your favorit Quote? This are some of the things that are asked of you in the profile section, so "Fill it Out."

You can take the man out of the Corps,
But you can't take the Corps out of the man!

This is good Quote pertaining to the Corps, but I imagine if you were a Marine you would know this and do what's asked of you. Filling out your profile does not ask personnal information just lets us know where your coming from.

Messenger
07-30-06, 02:38 PM
profile updated <br />
<br />
A level of Anonymity is very important to me. I am and will always be a private person due to professional and other reasons. <br />
<br />
as far as a favorite quote, well i am just not...

J-Ro
07-30-06, 02:50 PM
Nice read Messenger, sounds like you did your time. Street credit is a figure of speech don't get bent out of shape and I wasn't asking for you DD214 because TRUST ME I don't care, you had the time...

Marine Mom
08-24-06, 05:26 PM
:flag: [
Get a head start and be ready. My son suffered somewhat in boot because he did not follow this advice. Upon graduating he was in great shape, until he got to the next station...Now he can run up and down hills all day in 29 Palms. He is recently back from Iraq and all that paid off. :flag:

quote=Messenger]Physical fitness is a key element and cornerstone of being a Marine. Your physical fitness scores make a big difference when it comes to promotions and the respect you recive from your fellow Marines. Your level of fitness may some day make the difference between life or death for you or your fellow Marines.

Long before you go to Basic you need to start running. Pull-ups, sit-ups and push-ups should be a part of your daily life along with weight training. The better shape you are in when you start Basic the better off you will be.

some of you will be in the best shape of your lifes when you graduate basic training however many of you will be going to infantry units and related schools and will quickly find out that the shape you are in wehn you graduate basic is not good enough. i spent a long time in the infantry MOSes and have seen many freshly graduated Marines collaps while trying to keep up wiht veteran infantry Marines.

Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate! get the idea? start drinking a gallon of water everyday one quart at a time. this will start to hydrate you and stretch your bladder. you will need your bladder to stretch out a lot before going to basic because your going to be forced to drink a lot of water and will not be given a lot of opertunities to use a bathroom. also practice drinking a canteen of water as fast as you can.

if you smoke STOP NOW! no smoke breaks in basic training, infact no smokeing at all. you do not want to deal with cravings durring an already very intense situation. also stop drinking caffeine and carbonated beverages . stick to water, juice, water, milk and water , , , oh and did i mention WATER?

no mater what kind of shape you are in now, trust me when i say its not good enough.

luck favors the prepared,
Semper Fi[/quote]

Camper51
08-24-06, 05:47 PM
Welcome aboard, Messenger You've had a colorful career in the Corps with a lot less time in than I had...