PDA

View Full Version : Interested in the Marines

Lesperance
07-30-06, 01:56 AM
Hello

I am an 18 year old Male, who would like to join the Marines. I am attending College in the fall and am interested in the PLC program. I am very bright, I talked with a recruiter and took what I believe was a ASVAB practice test, and scored very well, the recruiter told me he was impressed and that I defiantly qualified for the program.

Both of my parents were in the Armed Forces, my father an Army Ranger. The question I have is about drug use.

In the past I have smoked marijuana but no longer do and have no intention of doing it again. I am wondering if i still qualify for the program, or the Marines at all. (I told my recruiter I had not smoked because my mother was there and probably would have killed me if I did.)

If this jeopardizes my entry into the program should I deny ever smoking pot? I would love to serve this country and any helpful information would be appreciated.

MIKECHRY
07-30-06, 07:40 AM
Eventhough Your Prior Drug Use Might Prevent You From Entering Certain Job Descriptions You Can Still Get In Provided You Pass The Drug Screening. Be Honest Don't Lie About It Or It Will Come Back And Bite You In The Ass!! And Don't Believe Everything Your Recruiter Tells You. Recruiting Is Probably A Little Tough Right Now And They Are Anxious To Fill Their Quotas. Good Luck

Marine0313
07-30-06, 09:18 AM
Les you do need to tell your recruiter it is a small waiver that is easily approved seeing that you havent done it in a while and dont sound like you ever will again and no it will not preclude you from the PLC program.

Marine84
07-30-06, 10:00 AM
There are PLENTY of us that got waivers for that so.................just don't ever fail a POP quiz.

J-Ro
07-30-06, 10:33 AM
Lesperance, You smoked what?????? KEEP THAT TO YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!! AND YOU'LL BE FINE....

His_angel
07-30-06, 03:24 PM
Les,

Go see the recruiter without your Mom. Be honest. Get the waiver. Sure. There might be a job you won't qualify for. But if (and when) they find out, you'll be a lot better off for having been truthful and have the waiver then them finding out you lied.

Angel

His_angel
07-30-06, 03:25 PM
Oh. And since you've already mentioned it here. There are Marines who know. And no doubt there are recruiters and Drill Instructors alike who are on these forums. So the cat is out of the bag. Fess up. Get the waiver.

Angel

Korling
07-31-06, 09:40 AM
From here on out...be honest...and that includes with your Mom! Its called integrity, get some or don't bother enlisting. It may preclude you from certain MOSs, getting a clearance, etc. but it won't keep you out as long as you admit it.

wsimkins
07-31-06, 11:25 AM
My recruiter told me not to mention it. Unless they do the hair test there is no way for them to find out. Back in the day all they did was a pee test. I hadn't done it in 2 years and obviously the pee test came back negative.

The point being, I was honest with the recruiter and did what he told me to do. I figured if they busted me with a hair test I could always claim ignorance because I did what I was told.

Please don't anyone tell my mom. She would murder me! Oh yeah, I already told her; forgot. :D

rktect3j
07-31-06, 01:30 PM
I had a friend, ahem, really it was a friend who, er, um did that too. Ok I admit it, it was me. And that is just what I told my recruiter in 1989. Wasn't a problem after that. Just got me the waiver. But you have to tell them the truth. If you did or are doing something harder, my guess is that the test is going to show it. After first phase all the drug tests come in and those who failed them are sent home. Don't wait for that to happen. Marijuana will leave your system within a short period of time. The only way to find it after that is with that hair test someone brought up. Most people, I would say either got the waiver or just didn't bother to say anything about it because over time it leaves the system and nobody is going to care enough to give the expensive hair test. If you really want peice of mind, go to the recruiter and tell them. They aren't going to go and tell your P's about it. Your contract is between you and them.

samadma
08-05-06, 01:27 PM
Contact your nearest Officer Selection Officer (OSO) in order to find out. Talking to a Marine Recruiter won’t do you any good because the OSO is the one that determines and makes Marine Officers that are in college or college graduates.