PDA

View Full Version : One Marine Hopeful's Thoughts....

Barret
07-29-06, 02:51 PM
Today, I was riding in a truck with my cousin's fiancee (Sorry if misspelled). We were talking about many things, when all of a sudden, He asked me: "So what are you gonna do after you get out of High School?" I told him that I will go to college. He said to me: "So I heard your gonna be a Military man." I said ya, I'm going to try to go with ROTC, and become an Officer. He said "Which one are you gonna choose, Army or Navy?" I suprised him by telling him I want to go into the Marine Corps. He paused for a minute, then asked me, as most all family members do, "Why?" I thought for a minute, and wondered if he would ever understand. I said "Well, I...." and was cut off by a voice which had a persuasive tone. He told me "Dude, don't you see what's going on over there? All those people that are fighting over there are stupid." I was floored. I never showed it physically, but i was just stunned. This man was a good man. I have been fishing with this guy until 2 A.M, talking about life, and Joking around. He was one of my closest pals, and was calling these people that I see as heroes stupid. I always thought that people badmouthing the servicemembers like that had been evil, nasty, jerk offs who din't have a life. I said, " I don't know, man, I think that......." And was cut off, yet again. He said "Even though you're an Officer, you'll still be in the middle of a f***ing war. You'll be a trained killing machine man, You don't want that. You need to go to the Navy, and you know, not have to fight up close and dirty, you could do something great, and get a ship named after you or something." I chuckled a bit, and thought to myself: "Is he right? Will I be a cold-blooded bastard who lives to see blood?" And then I thought to myself: "Hell no. This is not about glory and not fighting, this is about protecting America. This is about giving freedom to those who are here."

We cut off the conversation, and even though he had tried to get me to not join the Marine Corps, I was as Motivated as ever. For every one person that tells me that it's a bad idea, It's just "To bad over there", I'll be even more ready to become a Marine.

I hope this has been an enjoyable read for most of you, if not all of you. Feel free to tell me if you liked it or not, and if you feel anything like me, or if you have any similar, or different, thoughts.

JWG
07-29-06, 02:56 PM
All I have to say is.. you have ALOT more tolerance than I have. I would of handled it, probably, with much more defense than yourself.

Good on you, though, I tend to handle things with a bit more anger. :banana:

Barret
07-29-06, 03:01 PM
If it was probably someone other than him, I probably would have said alot more, but I figured that I would be beating a dead horse anyway.

GySgtRet
07-29-06, 03:30 PM
You handeled that exactly as you would be expected to handle it. In true Marine Corps value to yourself. You show at age 16 what most men and women that are fully mature do not have. Great job and great mind set. Come back in a couple of years with some butter bars on so we can all celebrate with you and your family and friends.

Barret
07-29-06, 03:36 PM
Thanks, Gunnery Sergeant.That means a lot coming from you.:iwo: And JWG, let me guess: You like the song "The fighting sid of me" don't you? That's probably one of my favorites.

JWG
07-29-06, 03:59 PM
Thanks, Gunnery Sergeant.That means a lot coming from you.:iwo: And JWG, let me guess: You like the song "The fighting sid of me" don't you? That's probably one of my favorites.

'Course I do! :bunny:

jennifer
07-29-06, 08:25 PM
Barret: Very interesting and it's too bad to hear people you look up bad mouth the service you want to join. I can't say that I heard of such nonsense when I said that I wanted to join. Actually, I lied. I did hear stuff like this from people; but not from people I looked up to. They were like, "Why the Marine Coprs?" All I could say was, "...because they are the toughest and meanest bad A$$ mutha F##%$rs out there!!" Up to this day I am darn proud I joined the Marine Corps!! People have more respect for us and it is not the other services that guards the Commander in Chief (president), it is the Marines gosh darnit!! I am proud to be a Marine and once you get the eagle, globe, and anchor you will see and feel what we all have seen and felt. Stay motivated and don't let others tell you otherwise. You do what you want and what you feel is right. Even if you change your mind along the way, which I am sure you will not. :p Semper Fidelis there youong pup and you still have a lot to learn about the many servicemen and women in the military. You will continue to hear such things for the next few years before you join but once you do join and you let others know that you are a United States Marine, you will see the respect and honor they have for you. (More then the other branches.)

Barret
07-29-06, 10:29 PM
Thanks for the input. It really felt like a betrayal of some sorts when he said it. But hey, If you wanna be a Marine, you have got to learn to go with the punches.:beer:

Marine84
07-30-06, 09:23 AM
And especially with us women we hear - "they're gonna make a man out of you" - do I look like a man? I don't think so!

Jsphsl4204
07-30-06, 10:06 AM
And especially with us women we hear - "they're gonna make a man out of you" - do I look like a man? I don't think so!

Hahahahahahaha.
People have the nerve to say that?

JWG
07-30-06, 11:20 AM
Do you live in a hole, bro? :banana:

Man, that's NOTHING compared to the things Marines and us Poolees/Wannabe's go through from their so-called 'peers' and 'friends.'

I don't consider 98% of my 'friends' they call it, in school as such. I wouldn't trust many people, when it comes to OUTSIDE of the Corps and fellow Poolees / Wannabe's.. etc.

Everyone is raised to think of THEMSELVES.. and anymore these days, when someone realizes their 'friend' is doing something honorable and THEY'RE not WILLING to do such a honorable task, they feel jealous and make fun of them today.

Goes back to my post, "My Generation - Zero Intelligence." :thumbdown

Motivated,

-Jon :iwo:

Hahahahahahaha.
People have the nerve to say that?

semperfi05m
07-30-06, 02:00 PM
Hey Barrey!!! I get those kind of comments all the time from friends and family. Asking why do you want to do that? I just tell them cause thats what I want to do. I dont think if I even spent the time telling them why they would understand. So I just keep cool and say because thats what I want.

"Freedom has a taste that the free will never know." THATS HOW I FEEL ABOUT THAT!!!

Jsphsl4204
07-30-06, 02:17 PM
Do you live in a hole, bro? :banana:

I live in Georgia, you can decide which is worse! :P

semperfi05m
07-30-06, 05:48 PM
Correct that comment above. They wouldnt understand if I were to explain to them why thats what I want to do. Sorry about that.

Barret
07-30-06, 06:07 PM
I always thought the quote was "Freedom has a taste that those who protect it that others wil never know."

outlaw3179
07-30-06, 08:02 PM
For those who fight for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

semperfi05m
07-30-06, 08:12 PM
They both sound good....Dont you think so?

ScottyG
08-01-06, 03:19 PM
Most of my friends and family are saying the exact same things sir. I'm a bit confused honestly on why they are expecting me to become some crazed lunatic when I return from bootcamp. I signed up with the Marines to better myself and to help protect them.

I certainly believe I will be changed but towards the reasons I am joining. Your story was very helpful in showing me that my beliefs are not to different than alot of other DEP/Recruits and Marines. Thanks Sir.

JWG
08-01-06, 05:19 PM
The reason they say you are going to be a "crazed lunatic" is because you won't be a "lazy ass" , "easy going" people THEY ARE.

Don't sweat it, brother. Stick to your goal and mission, brother.. GET THAT EAGLE, GLOBE, AND ANCHOR. The rest will fall into place.. you won't give a rats ass about your "friends" opinions or thoughts afterwards.

MOTO!!!!

Motivated,

-Jon :iwo:

Most of my friends and family are saying the exact same things sir. I'm a bit confused honestly on why they are expecting me to become some crazed lunatic when I return from bootcamp. I signed up with the Marines to better myself and to help protect them.

I certainly believe I will be changed but towards the reasons I am joining. Your story was very helpful in showing me that my beliefs are not to different than alot of other DEP/Recruits and Marines. Thanks Sir.

wsimkins
08-01-06, 05:34 PM
Ok folks,

It is understandable that with all the killing going on in Iraq and the support slinking noticeably, people who are close to you, especially ones that are related or going to be related, will be very concerned for your well being. Some people can't understand why we do what we do.

Remember, we are the defenders of freedom. Our blood, sweat and dedication is what gives them the right to feel the way they do. Think about it, if everyone thought the way we do the whole country would be united States Marines. Our way way of thinking and our dedication to God, Corps and Country is what makes us; "The Few. The Proud".

Never get mad at your Cousin's Fiance because he cares enough about you to try and talk you out of it. I assure you he will be the first to say, "My wife's cousin is a United States Fuc*ing Marine"! And he will say it with pride. I know, I've been there done it and got the T-Shirt. I come from a Navy and Air Force family.

And the Gunny is right (that's why he's a Gunny), you handled it perfectly. :marine:

Semper Fi,

Sgt Simkins

WalkingMan
08-02-06, 02:16 PM
He told me "Dude, don't you see what's going on over there? All those people that are fighting over there are stupid."

I would ask this individual, what sort of future, his chidlren, and his children's children, would stand to inherit, living under the cruel thumb of Islam, if everyone thought as he did... leaving the defence of liberty to someone else.

I would also tell him that he had better get down on his knees every night, and pray to whichever lesser god cowards pray to, that he is wrong, and that those Marines on the Tip of the Spear, standing between his sniveling ass and the Muslim Jihadis are not stupid, and that they are the smartest, and the best and brightest the America has to offer... because if they fail in their mission, his dumb arse is going to wind up washing dishes in a falafel house in the United States of Islam, while his daughters and grand-daughters are busy being gang-raped by virgin-hungry Muslims.

Then I'd smile, and bite off his nose.
:) :)

Barret
08-02-06, 02:18 PM
He is one of the folks who believes that the Marines are a bunch of dumb airheads who live for killing. Oh, and I forgot to mention, He was dishonorably discharged from the Air Force for drinking....

WalkingMan
08-02-06, 02:31 PM
Then I'd smile, and bite off his nose. :) :)

Heh!

I waited too long, reading through the other (wiser) posts in this thread to edit my post, above, but I do agree with the Gunny, and the others who correctly pointed out that this person's 'they're stupid' remark was probably uttered out of concern for the future Marine's welfare.

So... I'd just bite of the tip of his nose... not the whole thing. :D

Camper51
08-02-06, 02:33 PM
Barret, did I read right "dishonorably discharged from the Air Farce, for drinking"????? Dayum he musta really screwed up and not gone to his AA meetings and stuff.......

JWG
08-02-06, 02:34 PM
DD'ed from the AIR FORCE? Wow.. he must have REALLY been off the handle than.. haha. :banana:

Poskew
08-02-06, 02:44 PM
LMFAO WalkingMan .. the whole nose thing .. gave me a hoot for the day. Reminds me of that movie Dirty Works... when that saigon wh*** bit off Chris Farleys nose. hahah

Barret
08-02-06, 03:02 PM
It's True....I don't know what the hell happened, but it's true.....:bunny:

wsimkins
08-02-06, 03:32 PM
Had to be more than drinking to get more than Administrative or Other Than Honorable. He isn't telling you the whole story. You gotta get in a SH*T load of trouble to get a DD. Look at the pusses...

Barret
08-02-06, 03:38 PM
I honestly don't know too much about his DD from the AF. The only times he has ever talked about it were when he told me about his Basic Training, And one time he said something like he was proud of what he did when he joined the Air Force, then sarcasticly said" Yep, I'm proud of that, I'm proud I got kicked out of the Air Force".

wsimkins
08-02-06, 03:40 PM
If he got kicked out it doesn't neccessarily mean he got a DD. Maybe an OTH.

Barret
08-02-06, 04:17 PM
No, I'm sure it's a DD.He once asked my dad about joining the Navy, and my mom told me that won't happen, because he was DD'ed. Pretty much everyone in my family except for my cousing thinks he is a complete idiot. I like hanging out with him from time to time, but he really is an idiot.

Barret
08-02-06, 04:21 PM
The only reason I thought it was for drinking, is because the one time that he talked about his Basic Training, he got done with the story, I'm pretty sure, then trailed off. I could tell he was in deep thought, and then he said "Listen, man. Don't drink." Then we stopped talking about it.

WalkingMan
08-02-06, 07:12 PM
The only reason I thought it was for drinking, is because the one time that he talked about his Basic Training, he got done with the story, I'm pretty sure, then trailed off. I could tell he was in deep thought, and then he said "Listen, man. Don't drink." Then we stopped talking about it.

Well... in spite of his being someone in need of having a piece of his nose bitten offf, he did give you one valuable piece of advice... 'don't drink'.

'Not Drinking' never got anyone into a jackpot, or the hurt-locker.

The same thing cannot be said for drinking. :sick:

Poskew
08-02-06, 07:33 PM
Yeah bite his nose !!!! Walkman w00t

wsimkins
08-03-06, 06:17 AM
You were right Barret, he is an idiot.

yellowwing
08-03-06, 07:32 AM
Barret, you friend is thinking small and short term. It makes sense now with him blabbing and cutting you off. He just loves to hear himself talk, not uncommon for drunks.

Marines are a different breed from everyone else. You are beginning to see it even at your age.

futureMarine418
08-03-06, 07:38 AM
Hey barret i know what you are going through. My dad was in the navy and my brother in the army so you can just imagine what i hear at the dinner tabel. But just wait ultin we come back with a nise egal globe and anchor pinned on our chest then we will see if they have any thing to say.

DobbinsBlythe
08-03-06, 11:39 PM
I live in Georgia, you can decide which is worse! :P

At least you have an active education system. Try living in Alabama. ;) The only way out's with your tail between your legs and your feet on fire.

Barret
08-04-06, 02:16 PM
Well, I guess it wasn't a DD. I asked my dad what he was DD'ed for, and my dad said that he probably got an other than honorable discharge, and that it was alchohol related.

Marine84
08-04-06, 06:02 PM
You got that right Dobbins - the only thing good that comes out of AL is I75