PDA

View Full Version : Running

Poskew
07-29-06, 02:18 PM
I have got to get my endurance up before I go to boot camp September 5th. I know I will have my pull ups to pass the IST by then but my running is what worries me. I figure if I can find a way to get my 1 1/2 mile run up to IST standards then I should be ok to start training in boot camp. What are some good ways to get my 1 1/2 a better time.

JWG
07-29-06, 02:27 PM
Run.

Only way to make it better..

J-Ro
07-29-06, 03:22 PM
I have got to get my endurance up before I go to boot camp September 5th. I know I will have my pull ups to pass the IST by then but my running is what worries me. I figure if I can find a way to get my 1 1/2 mile run up to IST standards then I should be ok to start training in boot camp. What are some good ways to get my 1 1/2 a better time.

Poolee are you listening? The best way to get your runtime up is to RUN! if you have to test for 3 miles you had better start training at 6 miles. When it's Game time the 3 mile run will be nothing but a warm-up

"There is no better friend...
and No worse enemy than a United States Marine.":evilgrin:

Sgt Roman

Poskew
07-29-06, 04:00 PM
Understood and preciate it.

kovanfleet
07-29-06, 04:15 PM
Make sure you give yourself time to biuld up to what ever distance your going for. I went from run 0 miles a day to 5 and I ended up with shine splint and a sprained knee witch keep me from running for a month. I am just now getting out and running again and i feel so out of shape, I probably lost a few min. on my 3 mile.

jennifer
07-29-06, 08:07 PM
RUN RUN RUN there devil Pup... as if your life depended on it!! :p Good Luck!!

SmokeyBandit
07-29-06, 11:26 PM
Yes, definately build up. Your to close to shipment to get hurt. I would start out running 10-15 miles a week and increasing weekly mileage by no more than 3 miles per week. Start running maybe 3 miles every other day, and then gradually bump it up to 6 or miles every day!

JWG
07-29-06, 11:38 PM
Yes.. some GOOD advice I got from a fellow Poolee.

Run 3 times a week:

Pick a day to run 5 miles at a relatively slow pace.

Another day in the week to run 3.

..and another to run 2.

Do this for the first week, than DON'T RUN the SECOND WEEK. After that, you should be good to go, so you don't get a stress fracture if you're not custom to running that much.

Messenger
07-29-06, 11:39 PM
I wish someone told me to run before i went to basic LOL

JWG
07-29-06, 11:45 PM
*CREDIT FOR THAT INFORMATION IN MY LAST POST GOES TO*

Smalcom

Boy, you are one very knowledgable in PT. Thank you, brother!

-Jon :iwo::thumbup:

J-Ro
07-29-06, 11:46 PM
RUN RUN RUN there devil Pup... as if your life depended on it!! :p Good Luck!!

He's a poole Jennifer, he doesn't Rate Devil Dog!!! but he might sometime in Dec.

MIKECHRY
07-30-06, 07:47 AM
My Son Ran With Other Poolees. You Need To Get Used To Running In Formation. You Will Do That alot!!. talk To Your Recruiter. Thats Part Of His Job. My Son Had A Very Active Poolee Group And It Made A huge difference In How He Handled Boot Camp.

Jsphsl4204
07-30-06, 10:14 AM
I wish someone told me to run before i went to basic LOL

Hmm...
Your profile, while infinitely vague, says you entered the Marines in 1986.
However, in this post, you refer to, in a somewhat childish, 1337 manner, <i>Basic Combat Training</b>. The only place I know where you can get any of that is courtesy U.S. Army. I am 100% positive a MARINE would not make that mistake.

I'm not calling you out on this at all, it's not my place. But, if you want proper respect (not from me, I yeild no authority, so don't take it as if I'm necessarily "telling" you what to do) then you need a complete profile, answered <b>honestly</b> and <b>truthfully</b>. A lot of poolees and wannabe's get chewed out for that ****, and having a complete profile helps us know who we're dealing with.

SmokeyBandit
07-30-06, 02:46 PM
Hmm...
However, in this post, you refer to, in a somewhat childish, 1337 manner, <i>Basic Combat Training</b>. The only place I know where you can get any of that is courtesy U.S. Army. I am 100% positive a MARINE would not make that mistake.

I'm not calling you out on this at all, it's not my place. But, if you want proper respect (not from me, I yeild no authority, so don't take it as if I'm necessarily "telling" you what to do) then you need a complete profile, answered <b>honestly</b> and <b>truthfully</b>. A lot of poolees and wannabe's get chewed out for that ****, and having a complete profile helps us know who we're dealing with.
Dude, when you earn the title you can get on fellow Marines, but for now leave that for the one's who have. Since when is the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor not get proper respet?:evilgrin: Also...get a haircut, you look like a hippi...

Back on topic...Here's a running plan I would go with if I were in your place. Note: Try to do most running on softer ground rather than asphalt. It's also suggested not to walk at all if possible.

Week 1:
Run 1 mile on Monday, and Friday(easy but brisk pace, not fast enough that you have to walk, but enough to get you to breath hard) and 2 miles on Wednesday and Saturday(easy but brisk pace)
Total for week: 6 miles

Week 2: Run 2 miles on Monday and Friday(easy but brisk) and 3 miles on Wednesday and Saturday(easy but brisk)
Total for week: 10 miles

Week 3: Run 1 mile on Monday (fast as possible) with some kind of warm up/cool down.
Wednesday run 2x800 meters as fast as possible, with a half mile warm up and cool down.
Friday: Run 3 miles(easy)
Saturday: Run 4 miles (easy, this will be your longest run).
Total for week: approx. 10.25 miles-12.5

Week 4: Run 1 mile on Monday (fast as possible) with some kind of warmup or cool down
Wednesday run 1x800 meters as fast as possible with a half mile warmup and cool down.
Friday:Run 2 miles at a comfortable pace.
Satuday: Run 1.5 miles at a comfortable pace.
Total for week: approx. 5.25

This should help get you into some kind of running shape. The weekly mileage should be alright for you to handle. I myself am currently running around 38 miles a week. I've ran around 50 a few times. This schedule hopefully will help you pass the IST. If possible run more miles than I posted here. I only posted these lower numbers because I don't know you. Some people are alot more injury prone than others.

Here's another link that may help...

http://running.about.com/od/runningfaqs/f/militaryrun.htm

kovanfleet
07-30-06, 05:05 PM
Hmm...
However, in this post, you refer to, in a somewhat childish, 1337 manner, Basic Combat Training</B>. The only place I know where you can get any of that is courtesy U.S. Army. I am 100% positive a MARINE would not make that mistake.

I'm not calling you out on this at all, it's not my place. But, if you want proper respect (not from me, I yeild no authority, so don't take it as if I'm necessarily "telling" you what to do) then you need a complete profile, answered honestly and truthfully. A lot of poolees and wannabe's get chewed out for that ****, and having a complete profile helps us know who we're dealing with.

I dont think your in any place to be giveing Marines advice. your only 15 and back in the day Marines referd to it as boot and basic. only in the past few year have they been callen it stricktly boot, so they can distinguish themselves from other serves.

Smalcom
07-30-06, 07:04 PM
If any of you guys want me to set you up with a runnin program ill be more then happy..... u can message me or my aim is InfantryHopeful

,SMalcom *PT guru*

Brooklyn
07-30-06, 07:16 PM
If any of you guys want me to set you up with a runnin program ill be more then happy..... u can message me or my aim is InfantryHopeful

,SMalcom *PT guru*

I've got a question for ya Malcom. I've seen you suggest ppl eat banannas after working out a few times but never saw an explanation why. What exactly do banannas do?

J-Ro
07-30-06, 07:19 PM
they help you from pulling any muscles'

Wyoming
07-30-06, 07:58 PM
I've got a question for ya Malcom. I've seen you suggest ppl eat banannas after working out a few times but never saw an explanation why. What exactly do banannas do?

Potassium. Takes care of cramps. No clue as to where J-Ro got his info.

dscusmc
07-30-06, 08:29 PM
If you're going to eat a banana, eat it before you run, not after - otherwise, there's no point in preventing the cramps. Plus, its going to increase your blood-sugar level before you run.

J-Ro
07-30-06, 09:46 PM
Potassium. Takes care of cramps. No clue as to where J-Ro got his info.

Good Answer Holmes,
they can also prevent the following or assist with the following either or good luck with running.

<O:p</O:p
Anaemia:

Blood Pressure:

Brain Power:

Constipation:

Depression:

Hangovers:

Heartburn:

Morning Sickness:

Mosquito bites:

Nerves:

Anaemia:

Blood Pressure:

Brain Power:

Constipation:

Depression:

Hangovers:

Heartburn:

Morning Sickness:

Mosquito bites:

Nerves:

Overweight and at work?

PMS:

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD):

Smoking:

Stress:

Strokes:

Temperature control:

Ulcers:

Warts:

jennifer
07-30-06, 11:03 PM
I said Devil PUP not DOG!! They're all pups...
He's a poole Jennifer, he doesn't Rate Devil Dog!!! but he might sometime in Dec.

Lithium
07-30-06, 11:12 PM
All I can say is RUN!!!! That is all there is to do, RUN!!! There need not be a "running program". Just run every time you have to opportunity. Run in your neighborhood, run to the store, run to school, run home from school. Run untill your legs hurt, then run a couple miles more.

Speaking of that, I gotta go running....23:00, the only time of day or night in St. Louis when it is cool outside!

Stay Moto!

J-Ro
07-30-06, 11:20 PM
I said Devil PUP not DOG!! They're all pups...

Devil Pups DO NOT EXIST IN THE MARINE CORPS their is only Devil Dogs, if your referring to Devil pups as young Marines THEY ARE NOT! They are Poolees Recruits out Rank these guys and girls

Lithium you are right Run, Run, Run

Motivator...:cool:

Accord
07-31-06, 01:08 AM
They help you with recovery. It's one of the best post-workout foods available.