PDA

View Full Version : Families get taste of Marine life

thedrifter
07-29-06, 05:44 AM
Families get taste of Marine life <br />
Marines' parents, spouses, siblings endure an abbreviated boot camp <br />
<br />
Jim Nesbitt, Staff Writer <br />
JACKSONVILLE - Struggling to fasten a too-snug flak vest in...

thedrifter
07-29-06, 06:51 AM
The few, the proud, the parents
July 29,2006
DAILY NEWS STAFF

by kelley chambers

Patty Reynolds’ idea of a vacation might seem a bit twisted.

First, she’s a civilian on a military base. And second, on Friday she was standing in 95-degree heat under layers of combat gear.

Yet the smile on her face showed this is what she traveled all the way from Kansas City, Mo. to do.

“I definitely have more admiration for my son now,” Reynolds said. “So often do we complain about how hot it is here, it’s so minor compared to what they go through.”

Reynolds, along with 21 others — mainly parents and grandparents — boarded a charter bus Friday morning and traveled from Raleigh to Camp Geiger to take a walk in their heroes’ boots for a day. The “mini-boot camp” was scheduled to give them a first-hand look at the most humbling time in a Marine’s life, that first step off the bus at Parris Island, S.C., and toward life as a U.S. Marine.

Like their military counterparts, family members went through the culture shock of combat gear, MREs and M-16s (albeit simulated in this case).

Paula Zwillinger, the trip organizer and a board member of Marine Parents United, devised the boot camp in an effort to further help Marine parents understand what their kids are doing.

Marine Parents United is a national, nonprofit group that provides support through education, awareness and camaraderie. This year their conference is being held in Raleigh, which allowed for the trip to Jacksonville.

“This has never been done before,” said Zwillinger, 48. “I wanted parents to get a better understanding as to what their kids are going through.”

Zwillinger’s desert camouflage boonie hat and patriotic shirt outwardly symbolize her devotion to both country and children; she said both of her sons inspire her and her work with MPU. One son, Gregory, is a reservist. The other — 21-year-old Lance Cpl. Robert Mininger — was killed in Iraq last year.

“I’m glad to see the number of parents willing to take the bus trip from Raleigh (for this),” said Zwillinger. “Just dealing with the equipment and knowing how hot it is in Iraq, this certainly gives us a good idea of what they are doing over there.”

Participants were welcomed at Camp Geiger by Sgt. Maj. Michael Johnston who, true to Marine Corps fashion, gave the recruits “five seconds to get off my bus” and ordered them to stand in stiff formation.

No one said a word as they quickly emptied onto the blacktop, all eager to learn more about their loved one’s occupation, yet nervous about it becoming their own for a day. This emotion translated into edgy grins and hardly formidable “Yes, sirs” as drill instructor 1st Sgt. Craig Yohe respectfully yet sternly led them through their first challenge.

“We can all walk without falling on our faces, right,” Yohe barked. “We’re about to become U.S. Marines, you ready?”

Both Yohe and Johnston think the boot camp was a clever idea, bringing two worlds together and giving parents a realistic depiction of life behind the camouflage. But being a Marine is more than just physical endurance.

“It’s a lot of discipline and self-confidence,” Yohe said. “(These guys) learn how to conduct themselves and think as a Marine 24/7.”

Peter Menzies looked forward to the prospect of learning more about what it takes to be a private first class. He was also the one who was, for some reason, grinning the most during formation.

“I’m was just trying to let it all sink in, I guess,” said Menzies, 38. “I could feel him breathing down my neck. I thought I was going to be made an example of.”

Menzies works at Covert Threads, a military clothing company in Hickory known for their socks, which can be worn up to six days thanks to moisture-locking and bacteria-killing capabilities.

As someone who is constantly striving to provide comfortable yet functional garb for the men in green, Menzies’ support brought him to Camp Geiger where he tried on a flak jacket and other gear in a Marine’s load, which can collectively weigh up to 140 pounds.

“We support the parents and give them socks to give to the deployed,” Menzies said. “They are like family to me.”

Dee Beerup and her husband, Max, also made the trip from Kansas City for the conference and boot camp.

Max, a retired corpsman, and their son, a retired reservist who served in Desert Storm, still share strong ties to the Corps, their mission and their families.

“When the war came I’d cry, even though my son was home,” Beerup said. “But my heart is so heavy for those other moms out there who went through the same thing I did. (Through this) I’ve realized all my son had to do to even become a Marine.”

Contact Kelley Chambers at kchambers@freedomenc.com or by calling 353-1171, ext. 233.

Ellie