PDA

View Full Version : Job fair means new life for Iraq veteran

thedrifter
07-28-06, 05:03 PM
Job fair means new life for Iraq veteran

By: PATRICK WRIGHT - Staff Writer

CAMP PENDLETON ---- Shawneen Underhill's cane is hidden between the handles of little Jaeden's stroller. As the 22-year-old from Aguanga walks from one job recruiter to another, a crisp dark suit and sharp skirt cover up the back and hips that took doctors in three military hospitals two years to repair.

Behind a soft voice and kind demeanor hides a woman who watched her translator explode, learned of her husband's death in a separate explosion and gave birth, all within a year.

All of that is forgotten in the few moments Underhill talks with prospective employers.

Underhill was one of hundreds of veterans and active military members looking for current or future work Thursday at the Camp Pendleton Job Fair. Mark Baird and his wife, Tori, organized the fair as part of their commitment to their Web site, HirePatriots.com. The fair is one of three the pair is organizing at Camp Pendleton, Miramar Marine Corps Air Station and Naval Station San Diego.

Mark Baird said they created HirePatriots.com two years ago after a Marine came to their home asking if he could do any odd jobs. He said his vehicle was repossessed and his family had trouble paying bills while he served in Iraq.

Baird said the fair was his way of giving back.

"Our service is to serve the guys who serve us," he said.

The fair drew 125 companies, from local grocery stores to global defense contractors, and representatives said they look to employee veterans because they are hard working, loyal and able to handle a variety of tasks.

"We know they've shown dedication and commitment to the jobs they've had," said Heidi Kell, staffing consultant for The Hartford insurance company, about why her company wanted to be at the fair.

In a crowd filled with fatigues and corporate logos, Underhill's suit and blue stroller stuck out. She chatted with company representatives who excited her with talk of interviews and future jobs.

She talked about what she wanted to do.

"I'm very open," she said. "I like people. I like researching, background investigations, dealing with numbers, kids and things of that variety."

Her mother, Jeanne Marie, said Shawneen's back pain keeps her up some nights and makes it tough for her to drive a car. Jeanne Marie said she hoped her pain would decrease now that medical treatments have started because Shawneen wouldn't get veterans benefits for another three years.

But Thursday, none of her health issues were on display. She smiled and looked excited about her prospects from the fair. She had a job interview later that day and could have two more next week.

"I'm ecstatic," she said. "If I can get a job, I can pay my bills."

Ellie